PDA

View Full Version : loose front wheel

busdriver
08-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Helloes,

I have a 1991 Legacy L AWD wagon, when I did a stock brake pad swap I noticed that my front left wheel was loose, when all the lug nuts were tight, so I wiggled the tire while looking behind it. There I saw that my CV boot is completely destroied, I noticed this before and am planning on changing the whole half shaft since the other boot is ripped too and they are making loud noise when making a left turn...
What I saw was that the whole CV body was moving around in the inside hub!! Now my question is, will this be thightened with a new CV or is the bearing shot?? Are there two bearings on these like an inside and outside bearing?? How can I best fix it??
Thank you!!

Bus driver turned Sooby scooder

filter27e
09-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Well... moving around in what direction? Your axle is just like a thick rod with teeth on it that goes through your hub with a threaded end to tighten the axle nut down to the hub. If it's moving back and forth inside the hub, is the axle nut loose? Sounds like your wheel bearings are shot. Also check the ball joints for play while you're in there... on a car that's that old you might have worn ones.

busdriver
09-08-2005, 04:51 PM
It moves when I grab it at 9 and 3 as well as 11 and 1.
it can move side to side, up and down, but not in and out towards axle.
It seems like the whole wheel is just stuck on a tiny spindle...
I don't feel anything major when driving, only a very slight vibration when on the freeway of about 1/8 inch movement of the steering wheel.
braking is good nothing abnormal there...
Wheelbearing or something else?