PDA

View Full Version : SuperCharger

Svenerachi1
08-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Anyone know anything about SuperCharging a subaru, i haven't seen much in the way of SC's

So, here's the call out to those who know, what are the disadvantages of supercharging beyond not being able to potentially create as much power?

Also, what would be involved in going from N/A to supercharged

sorry for all the general questions, but i'm just trying to figure out what the best options are between full turbo swap, SC, N/A monter 4Cyl before i actually do anything, so i don't have to say, "Shit, that was stupid, i wish I'd known!"

shazapple
08-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Superchargers are limited by the engines RPM so they cant create as much power as a turbo, but they do eliminate lag. Since theyre driven off the engine its not considered 'free power' like a turbo would be.

You wouldnt be able to run much boost on stock internals, and theres a point where the block just wont take anymore. The 2.2L blocks are pretty much bulletproof, but the 2.5's wont handle as much.

Im in no way an expert, just typing what I know!

sheepdog
08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Superchargers are nice because they give you power and torque across your entire powerband, with the downside being it does not make the same high end power as a turbo. With a turbo, you do not recieve the benefit until the turbo spools (what rpm this happens at depends on a few different things), but once you do it gives you more than a supercharger. There are ways to get around turbo lag, but each has its corresponding disadvantage as well ( ie run a smaller turbo, less high end hp; spool with nitrous, wear on engine or $$ to reinforce internals). Building an NA motor allows you to make reliable power and tune the engine in many different ways, few of which I know much about seeing as I know most about turbo motors haha, but Ive seen NA motors doing unreal RPMs and all kinds of cool stuff. The way you tune your engine mostly depends on what your eventual purpose with your car is, and what you want out of it.

2deadlegs
08-29-2005, 12:22 AM
There is a guy over at LCO that put a mercedes supercharger in his legacy and it worked great.

Go to www.bbs.legacycentral.org (http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org) and do a search for super charger.

Wiscon_Mark
08-29-2005, 10:32 AM
just remember: a real supercharger is gonna be a lot of dough. Those eBay knockoffs (electric superchargers) only push 1-3 PSI (hairdryer speed). It would probably be cheaper to go the engine swap route.

Or....

Supercharged from 1000-3000 rpms, then turbo'd the rest of the way :twisted:

Now that would be sweet :D

Tris_STi
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
On LCO, the guy's name is Douglas Vincent. I've personally seen the SC'd wagon, and it kicks asss. However, he's selling a SC kit, and would probably do a how-to in the portland area, saving you money and time, as he's invested well over 3000 hours into that project alone. Be prepared to machine custom pulleys, and rebuild your engine every few thousand miles.

gator gt
09-01-2005, 09:57 PM
And I'd like to clear something up. From what I've read and understand....EJ22 N/A and EJ22t are 2 separate beasts. Don't think that if you have a EJ22 econo engine, that all of a sudden you can strap on the turbines and be whoopin behinds all over the place.

The EJ22t from the turbo Legacy era is the one that is bulletproof....not the EJ22 from the wheezing 145hp family.

On the SC side of things....holy cow, talk about heading down a rarely charted path!!

Everything else has pretty much been said.

GGT

Wiscon_Mark
09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
clarification:

Yeah, we know (I would hope) that the EJ22t and the EJ22(E) engine blocks are different, but the EJ22E is still a very tough little block, and much more boostable than the EJ25. No, I would never strap any sort of boost on it, because there are much better ways to make N/A power with the EJ series.

The EJ22E makes 135HP (flywheel) and 140 lb/ft of torque ;)

scottzg
09-02-2005, 02:21 AM
ehh, i think you're over stating the wimpiness of the ej22e. It's about as bulletproof as any modern turbo block, the construction is the same. (the main bearings might be smaller, along with the oil passages, but that probably won't be too much of an issue) Granted, 9.5:1 (or whatever) compression isn't terribly boost friendly.

It's far far more boost friendly than the time-bomb ej25.

3psi would be good for prolly 20 horse in a ej22, too bad an electric ebay sc can't even make 1psi.

Tokio
09-02-2005, 11:00 AM
i have to go with gator in this one, ive seen lots of N/A 22's turbo'd for "rally interests"... NONE of them last...

scottzg
09-02-2005, 04:52 PM
i have to go with gator in this one, ive seen lots of N/A 22's turbo'd for "rally interests"... NONE of them last...

Likely the team that chooses a budget ej22 is also going to do budget fueling.

Wiscon_Mark
09-02-2005, 06:41 PM
also take into account that when you go boosting, it isn't the block that goes first, its the rods and pistons and such. If those get strengthened, a lot more can happen without problems...

scottzg
09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
rods are the same, pistons are inferior. Coolant and oil circulation is better in the turbo heads and the valves are smaller.

I don't follow subaru engine tuning much, i'd rather catch chickens. :smt117

Wiscon_Mark
09-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't follow subaru engine tuning much, i'd rather catch chickens. :smt117

for being more of a suspension guy, you really do know a lot about the engine ;)

scottzg
09-03-2005, 03:22 AM
thanks mark, i don't have much first hand experience with subby engines, and am just spouting what ive read elsewhere, which is a good way to be completely wrong.

Not to mention chasing chickens is fkn awesome!