PDA

View Full Version : price on cv joints?

shinobi05
08-28-2005, 08:24 PM
does any one know how much cv joints for a 1990 legacy l costs

gator gt
08-29-2005, 11:16 PM
If you are referring to the half shafts that direct the power from your differential to your hubs.....you can't buy them separately from what I remember.

You have to either get them new from Subaru ($$$$$) or get some quality rebuilt units from http://www.cvaxles.com/ They sell quality rebuilt units for real good $, from what I understand. I've heard nothing but praise about them.

If you have cracked CV boots, and you know nothing got in there (dirt, water) then all you'd need to do is a boot job....take off old boot, clean out old grease, apply new grease, install new boot.....not as simple as typed, but if the axles are out of the car, then its a hell of a lot easier.

Is that what you were wondering?

GGT

shinobi05
08-29-2005, 11:43 PM
they are about to go out every time i turn you hear a loud clicking

scottzg
08-29-2005, 11:47 PM
i drove on clicking axles for 8 months. :shrug:

I'm so lazy it hurts.

gator gt
09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't hear a loud clicking....you do. :lol: I'm just playing.

I'd say they are on their way out. I'm sure if you were to inspect them, you'd have some torn boots. I'd go ahead and order the front pair from that link I posted earlier.

Only other thing I could think of that would be affected by forward motion and differing side to side speeds of tires would be something with your diff......but that is a far fetched thought.

If you hear clicking, more than likely its too late.

Thats my honest take on it. Anyone else?

GGT

scottzg
09-02-2005, 02:30 AM
clicking = dead.

Get some new or rebuilt ones.

Changing them yourself is not a bad job at all, you dont even have to take the wheel off.

2deadlegs
09-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I got a guy that rebuilds them to new for $40.00 an axle. He does amazing work.

He can even "beef up" axles to handle around 1K horsepower.

Plays_with_Toys
09-03-2005, 12:33 PM
I was told my axles were dead as well, but I have no clicking whatsoever in turns, not even when the wheels are maxed. Think I could get away with just doing a boot job? My friend is getting me two boots for $20 (OEM) and I planned to install those next weekend.

How hard is a boot job anyhow?

2deadlegs
09-03-2005, 12:48 PM
If your boots are ripped then chances are you got dirt in there and it ate at the bearings and races. (not good)

You could pull your axle out, degrease and clean the joints, repack them with grease and install new boots....

But you would be better off just buying a new axle for $50.00 at the local parts store.

Plays_with_Toys
09-03-2005, 01:04 PM
If I had the money, then yes, it would be the better option. But I'm beyond broke.

2deadlegs
09-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Just keep on driving then...

Save up the cash in the meantime.

gator gt
09-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Again, click on the link I provided...thats all these guys do.

If your boot is torn and you can see a reasonable method for dirt to get it....its dead.

If its cracked....like the ones I got for my 91 Legacy Turbo rear LSD, then all you'll need is a boot job.

GGT