PDA

View Full Version : Clutch?

BE-Fresh
03-04-2008, 11:56 PM
So I was thinking that with the driving I do (I honestly try not to beat the shit out of my car...but it tends to happen. C'mon I had a VR6 before this :lol: ) I might need a clutch soon. Was wondering if a stock WRX clutch would be considered an upgrade, and whether or not to get a lightend flywheel also. But, I've been contemplating on getting a lightend crank pulley also. I know it would be a bitch to drive/useless to get the pulley and then a lightend flywheel, so which would be better? I'm leaning towards the pulley since they run a lil cheaper than a flywheel..

Huffer
03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I've heard some bad things about using a lighter crank AND a lighter flywheel... idle issues, alternator faults.

You'd notice a lot more "gain" from a lighter flywheel, as well as reducing a lot more rotational mass from that.

decke48
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
lighter flywheels give you car more of a rough idle because of the reduced rotational mass. theres two weights that most subaru aluminum flywheels come in 13lbs and 9lbs. stock 20lbs.
my believes are if its a daily driver to keep it stock. or you could go with the 13 pounder. i know the wrx clutches are pull type clutches. not sure about the legacys. but they do make a kit to adapt to pull style kits

jey
03-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Unless you're planning significant power upgrades, go with a stock clutch - a stronger clutch won't do anything for you other than transmit more wear/tear to your transmission.

I have a 9.5lb Fidanza flywheel and it's great for a daily driver - took a little getting used to but one of the best mods ever - didn't negatively affect idle or NVH.

The crank pulley may affect NVH - there is a harmonic dampener on it.

Reason
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I've heard some bad things about using a lighter crank AND a lighter flywheel... idle issues, alternator faults.

You'd notice a lot more "gain" from a lighter flywheel, as well as reducing a lot more rotational mass from that.

That's right, BUT I would clutch, maybe a stage 1 centerforce (for example) stock flywheel (if they are cheap enough I would buy a new one) and get lightweight pulleys. Besides idle issues like decke48 said, everyday driving may be compromised too. Unless you plan on going to the track often I'd keep the stock flywheel.

Reason
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Unless you're planning significant power upgrades, go with a stock clutch - a stronger clutch won't do anything for you other than transmit more wear/tear to your transmission.

That makes sense, but he is itching for more power lol

I have a 9.5lb Fidanza flywheel and it's great for a daily driver - took a little getting used to but one of the best mods ever - didn't negatively affect idle or NVH.

My nephews first standard car was a GSX and once the fly was done he couldnt drive it. Maybe it was unique to the GSX but it took some time.

The crank pulley may affect NVH - there is a harmonic dampener on it.

Nope, it will be fine

DLC
03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
There is NOT a harmonic dampener in the stock crank pulley. Flat engines have perfect second-order harmonics, so they're not needed. The stock pulley is two-piece, but completely symmetrical.

I'd recommend against ANY aluminum lightweight flywheel, unless it's got a stainless steel wear surface or you're planning on having the engine or transmission out of the car frequently.

I've run the stainless Exedy on my last two cars, both with lightweight pulleys, and haven't had any problems. Keep the pulley stock size and you won't have power steering or alternator problems either.

I'm also running an ACT clutch/PP from Cobb. A bit heavier than stock, but I don't drive stop-n-go very often.

rougeben83
03-06-2008, 01:55 AM
14lb ACT FW w/ ACT street clutch here, I haven't throw a code for the 5k miles Ive had it. Well worthwhile IMO. As a guy I asked described it, it just brings the car to life. If you're doing the clutch anyway, the FW is a better investment/bang for your buck IMO (you're losing 11lbs vs. 4lbs, lw fw vs. lw pulley).

You can't use a WRX clutch btw. You can use an Impreza/RS clutch however (basically any N/A clutch is interchangeable).

jey
03-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd recommend against ANY aluminum lightweight flywheel, unless it's got a stainless steel wear surface or you're planning on having the engine or transmission out of the car frequently.

I have had my 9.5 lb aluminum flywheel for 5 years and 72k miles now. The Fidanza flywheel is pretty high quality.

BE-Fresh
03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Not sure if I'd like something that light for a daily driver. I might just go for stock clutch/pullies

Airgne
03-12-2008, 12:14 AM
well at least your clutch doesnt slip at high speeds when you try to give it some gas. im going to go with a spec setup. i had one in my nissan behind a 350hp sr20det and never had a problem.

rougeben83
03-12-2008, 01:52 PM
If you're doing the clutch already, I wouldn't bother doing the pulleys TBH. The 14lb FW is perfectly streetable (I use it in heavy NYC traffic and can make the car roll like the rest of the auto-equipped cars), though it may take a little getting used to after you put it in.