PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed guys: cold engine, clutch in, engine revs on own?

jmgtp
03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Just for reference, 01 2.5GT, 5 speed, currently 66k miles

Here is the scenario:

Start the car, has the fast idle which is normal of a cold engine, say 1300-1500 rpm. I pull out of my parking space in 1st gear by easing the clutch up - no throttle applied. The car smoothly rolls out. I need to stop, clutch pedal goes in and brakes applied and here it is... the engine over the course of less than 2 seconds revs itself up to 2500 rpm. It will hold it there for a moment before calming down. It also seems that if I pop the shifter into neutral and engage the clutch (let it up) it will immediately come down.

The car has done this since day 1 that I've owned it with about 42k miles, winter, summer no difference. Within 30 seconds of driving if I come to a stop and go through the same process as above it won't do it again. But that first rollout and stop it never fails to rev itself up.

It doesnt appear to be anything mechanically wrong, like a vacuum leak. Rather, I think this is built into the software running the engine. I'm even more convinced that it is a software issue because when I put the car in neutral and let the clutch up the engine speed drops right away. The clutch pedal has 2 switches on it telling the pcm what is happening, 1 for the starter at the floor boards and one at the top of its throw to sense the moment the clutch pedal is pressed. Anyone else have this weird idle speed up on a freshly started motor? It is just a slight annoyance that irks me.

Plays_with_Toys
03-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Try applying the throttle next time you ease out. Maybe the computer thinks the car is dying and supplements it with more gas? Never had that issue but I usually give the throttle a little blip as I ease out the clutch when starting out of a spot. Mostly to warn the person behind me that I'm moving and I don't see them, and now it's a force of habit.

Sarra
03-28-2008, 09:22 PM
My 1998 GT does that too, give it some gas when you ease out.

jmgtp
03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Maybe I didnt explain this as clearly as I thought...

the car certainly doesnt think it is stalling, I can get a good rolling speed with the clutch fully engaged and the car moving along at 1300-1500 rpm, no throttle. Then clutch in and it revs way up.

In other words the easing out isnt when it happens, its fine during that, no stuttering or anything, I can get the clutch all the way out, cruise along at 1500 rpm but when i go to stop and disengage the clutch the revs jump up.

Plays_with_Toys
03-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Right, because maybe the car thinks it's still idling. It learns I need x amount of air and gas to maintain rpm because there is a load on the engine. You stick the clutch in, the load disappears and but the computer hasn't reacted and learned yet, so it jumps up in RPM's supplying the same fuel/air as before but now there is no load.

rougeben83
03-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Maybe I didnt explain this as clearly as I thought...

the car certainly doesnt think it is stalling, I can get a good rolling speed with the clutch fully engaged and the car moving along at 1300-1500 rpm, no throttle. Then clutch in and it revs way up.

In other words the easing out isnt when it happens, its fine during that, no stuttering or anything, I can get the clutch all the way out, cruise along at 1500 rpm but when i go to stop and disengage the clutch the revs jump up.

Yeah mine does that on cold mornings and when I stop a immediately after the car has been started up. I wouldn't worry about it, it's normal. It happens on our family minivan too if I put it in P right after I go for a few feet from starting the car up (like pulling out of the garage and having to stop and close the door manually).

decke48
03-29-2008, 12:19 AM
when the engine is cold the car is in open loop. and doesnt use the o2 to caculate the air/fuel ratio. its based on predetermined maps. until the cars o2 are warmed up it goes in closed loop using the o2. so when its in open loop when the engine has no load the engine will rev up. on most obd2 cars in only takes around 30sec to warm the o2s if your driving. so this is normal

jmgtp
03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Glad to see I'm not alone and this does seem to be normal behavior.

jjs316
03-29-2008, 11:43 PM
count mine in for doing that.