PDA

View Full Version : How to paint your car or parts.....

rafapr88
04-08-2008, 01:54 AM
this is a lil somethin i put together on how to paint stuff..........

http://www.howtodothings.com/automotive ... s-of-a-car (http://www.howtodothings.com/automotive/how-to-paint-parts-of-a-car)

Check it out and rate it if you can that would be great thanks.

d1giPhux
04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Hmm, i think you should have maybe mentioned a few other things instead of sand paper.. maybe like 3m red scuff pads, and also about cleaning the stuff off with solvent of sorts after you sand it all down and are ready to paint it.

Also, if the piece is plastic / urethane.. you might want to use something to promote adhesion.. i forget what its called.. but ive used it before.

Also, why paint in an up and down motion? I always use side to side, and also, why sand in circles??

Anyone else chime in on this? Seems like some of the stuff is an okay idea, but other stuff could use improvement on.

dodik
04-08-2008, 02:41 PM
sanding in circles helps prevent deep scratches and makes generaly smoother surface. also if you are using rattle cans dont hold nozle for more than 3 seconds at any time that way it doesnt clog. Prep wipe is good way to clean surface from greases and dirt. tack cloth is also a must to pick up all small dust and lint. if you are using rubbing alcohol or acetone to prep the surface try using non-lint cloth. after you put that coat of primer on let it dry then wet sand it with like a 1500 grit sand paper to remove all paint dust that is going to settle after you let it dry. to achieve a very polished look with spray paint is harder then it is to achieve even color i still cant get it after putting down like 3 cans of clear on the spoiler.

Okin DaVanh
04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow. I, of all people, wish it was really this easy. I'll just add a little of the comments here.

2. Begin by sanding the part that you will be painting. Use the kind of sandpaper that can be used with water. You should know even before you start that you really don't need to sand it until you see metal--just sand it enough until the paint is flat with no shine.

------------------------------You didn't even mention a range of grit to use. Go too rough, and there's gonna be gouges. Too soft, might not be enough to prevent chipping later on.

3. Dampen the sandpaper in the water and begin sanding in a circular motion. Always sand in a circular motion.

-----------------------------Some might do this in circles, but when sanding by hand, X patterns... 100 one way, and the same returning. Finish off by smoothing in direction of panel.

5. Let the parts of your car that you have sanded dry completely.

--------------------------------This is where you are going to have a big disaster on your hands. In between these 2 steps. Before jumping to priming from sanding, ALL PARTS MUST BE FREE OF CONTAMINATION... washed and wiped down with cleaner.

8. Let the parts of your car that you have primed dry completely.

--------------------------------Again, Something missing here and then some. When getting to this stage, there are alot of factors that come into play. You have to also have the right enviroment on your side. You cant paint anything under a certain temp. or without proper ventilation.

9. Now you're ready to paint. Get your paint and apply the first coat. Let it dry a little--the first coat doesn't need to look amazing. (Most of the professionals don't even apply paint on the whole thing on the first coat.)

------------------WTF??? If you ever missed a spot on ANY coat, It will show in your end product. Usually in the form of light blotches. THAT even depends on which company the paint is from. A rattle can also varies. Krylon lays down different then Rustoleum etc... Autbody paint is another ball game.

10. After the first coat has dried, just go to the second coat ...now pay a lot of attention because this is the coat that really counts.
11. Always apply the paint in an up and down motion. Be sure you don't leave any blank spots. Let the paint dry and now it's time for the clear coat. Apply a thin coat of clear coat and let it kind of dry (not all the way though). Now go on and apply a thick coat on top and let it dry.

--------------------"Paint up and down..." Apparently, you will learn some new terms when painting like that. Called "Tiger Stripes". That's when you can see each stroke of paint layed down like ridges. And when laying clear, your 1st coat should be thin as well as the 2nd w/ an option for 1 more coat if you're gonna wetsand and buff.

I'm guessing this is from a beginers point, but you're leaving out a lot. I really can't put it all down here.

Good luck, and Yes, I've been involved in autobody for 18 years.

rafapr88
04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
thank you