PDA

View Full Version : 4EAT vs 5EAT

04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
okay, I've come to the conclusion that regardless of the condition of my current 4EAT, its time to start looking for another tranny, and given the amount of city driving and the extreme depth of my laziness, I'm thinking I will stick to an automatic tranny for now

Does anyone know of any major issues with the 5EAT being fitted to an older car with a 4EAT, or if the 5EAT is just weak and not worth the time

I did a search but didn't come up with anything relavent

thanks!

Huffer
04-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I imagine that the TCU would be different and that you might discover that they might physically be different sizes, and perhaps the FD might be different too.

04-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I expect all of that, I mean are there any little things I should know about, like the bad headgaskets on the phase2 ej25, that make it totally not worth using... like I don't know if any new legacy 5eat owners have noticed that it shifts sluggish compared to the 4-speed or what, I'm looking for nit-picking details, but thanks

I'm trying to decide which tranny to replace my 4EAT with, if it is a huge issue I'm not going to do it unless there are serious advantages to it.

wouldn't mind the sport-shift 5eat, but I can build a custom 4eat with sport-shift ability for less than a like-new 5eat

I've been looking at IPT and a few other places that specialize in subaru EATs, any other suggested places to look at?

Huffer
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
The 5EAT in the post 04 WRX is decent. It's got nothing on the smoothness of a Toyota tranny though.

04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
04 was the first year to use the 5eat, correct? bugeyes still used the 4 speed?