PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum driveshaft

Airgne
04-27-2008, 09:23 PM
anyone ever heard of these guys? http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/
or know were to get a aluminum driveshaft for a BE?

Huffer
08-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I looked into doing a GB for carbon fibre shafts awhile back as they are better than Al shafts, but more $$$. There's less danger of cabin puncture during an accident as they just shear off.

Bookem
08-19-2010, 10:03 PM
What? You guys don't have a cf driveshaft? I've got one and it only weighs about four pounds ( just not on my BD, lol). I have one on my truck and it's pimp. I did do some checking and found nothing for our cars, just WRX and STi's.

Airgne
08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
What? You guys don't have a cf driveshaft? I've got one and it only weighs about four pounds ( just not on my BD, lol). I have one on my truck and it's pimp. I did do some checking and found nothing for our cars, just WRX and STi's.

cant remember what subby driveshafts are interchangeable.

ouch1011
08-20-2010, 01:40 AM
I believe the front half of the WRX driveshaft would interchange, but the rear section would be too short.

Sarra
08-20-2010, 08:25 PM
It's the chassis, not the model...

A 2005 WRX drive shaft would work on a 2005 Impreza 2.5i, provided both were manuals.

As far as for a Legacy... You can get them custom made.

I've been thinking about going RWD in my WRX. This would be a nice addition, a Carbon Fiber drive shaft! Yum.

ouch1011
08-22-2010, 01:00 AM
I believe the distance from the transmission mounting point to the carrier bearing is the same for all of the Imprezas/Legacies (at least up to the 05 Legacy) so as long as the front half of the driveshaft matches the trans you are using, it can be interchanged from another model. For instance, when I swapped my trans, I used the front half of the driveshaft from my parts Impreza, and the carrier bearing and rear section of the shaft are from my original 4EAT driveshaft.

And I've seen a lot of custom 4wheelers using Denny's Driveshafts.

rougeben83
08-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Most aftermarket prop-shafts are one piece, they tend to increase vibration in the cabin because they don't have a carrier bearing the middle for isolation and support. Unless youre making mad hp, youre fine with stock. Stock propshafts can handle upwards of 450-500hp; youre more likely to break a cv before the driveshaft.

If you want to pursue this further, JoeT has a custom prop-shaft I think in his BE.

Airgne
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
i will have to talk to joeT than.

when i changed to a one peice on my 70gmc the diff was awsome.

Sarra
08-23-2010, 02:17 AM
I'd love to reduce the amount of unsprung weight on my car, and this would be a very nice way to do so.

I wonder if it's possible to get tube axles... Stronger and lighter? I haven't seen any, so I'm going to guess no.

ouch1011
08-29-2010, 01:57 AM
If you GMC was lifted, then that is why you noticed a big difference. 2 piece DS with a lifted truck = extreme driveline angles. Typically you would drop the carrier bearing mounting point to compensate. Or swap to a 1 piece shaft, because the longer distance will reduce the driveline angle.

Manufacturers typically use a 2 piece (or 3 or 4) driveshaft to either 1) keep the shaft tucked close to the body, as with most IRS setups, or 2) break up a super long driveshaft into several smaller ones, so they don't have to make it a huge diameter. The longer the driveshaft, the larger it has to be otherwise it will tend to droop or spin off-center at higher speeds.

Reuben
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I'd love to reduce the amount of unsprung weight on my car, and this would be a very nice way to do so.

I wonder if it's possible to get tube axles... Stronger and lighter? I haven't seen any, so I'm going to guess no.

Prop shafts are not unsprung weight, they are bolted to the damn chassis! Rotating mass i think is the one you were thinking off, has the same effect as a light flywheel or light pulleys, pretty much (not forgetting that it's after the clutch, unlike a flywheel or pulleys).