PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise

Plays_with_Toys
09-14-2005, 06:28 PM
So when I'm just cruising down the road at any real speed from 10-80mph, and my music is off, I can hear a "tink. tink tink. tink." noise coming from the back of my car. Its a wagon for those not in the know. I can't figure out if the noise is pebbles or if my exhaust is getting some backfires in the muffler or something. Anyone else get this noise (especially wagon owners)?

2deadlegs
09-14-2005, 06:37 PM
`Maybe you ran over the Travelocity roaming gnome and he is trying to get your attention.

scottzg
09-14-2005, 08:12 PM
first trick is to figure out if the noise is comming from the inside of the car or outside. If it's the inside, it could be a loose trim piece.

When does the noise occur; over bumps or all the time? Is it speed sensitive?

If it's outside the car, is it a metallic sound or a squeeky sound? Metallic would indicate exhaust shields or brake shield bolts, rubber would be probably a sway bar bushing.

It might be helpful to have someone else drive your car as you sit in back.

95legacyl
09-14-2005, 08:23 PM
if it sounds like a metal on metal sound its most likely an exhaust shield inside your muffler mine does the same thing and ive seen a couple other people on another site saying they had the same problem you can also hear it if you put it in neutral open your door and rev the engine.

Plays_with_Toys
09-14-2005, 09:52 PM
The sound is not bump, speed, RPM or gas sensitive. It just randomly happens. One second its "tink tink tink", then 2 miles of nothing, and then it comes back. I have the heat shield rattle as well, which is RPM sensitive (mine is around 2,600 rpms, either engine braking or revving) but this is definately not that sound.

The sound sounds like it is coming from outside, to the rear of the fender well or from behind the bumper. It sounds like when you drop a washer or small screw into a metal bowl or onto a metallic tray.

legacy92ej22t
09-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Check your muffler bearings. If they're bad then get the Ti ones.

Might as well check your blinker fluid while you're down there too.

2deadlegs
09-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Maybe you could score one of those carts they had in the movie Speed so you could actually be underneath the vehicle while Sandra Bullock (James) drives it. Then her new husband Jesse could take it back to his monster garage where they could turn it into a mobile dinning room with a Pepsi soda dispenser.

Plays_with_Toys
09-15-2005, 06:16 AM
Then her new husband Jesse could take it back to his monster garage where they could turn it into a mobile dinning room with a Pepsi soda dispenser.

I had that same idea, but then I thought, where would I find a penguin with a zucchini slicer?

Well then, I guess I'm not going to worry about the noise then.

Huffer
09-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Check to make sure your spare wheel is bolted down tight.

Sounds like it's a loose nut/bolt somewhere...might even be inside a door.

2deadlegs
09-15-2005, 11:07 PM
I think the loose nust/bots are inside his head....

Wiscon_Mark
09-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I think the loose nust/bots are inside his head....

He's had less time to get crazy than you have :twisted: :lol:

+1 for what Huffer said.

2deadlegs
09-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Stop hating Mark.......I heard your girlfriend singing a version of The Pussycat Dolls song "Don't cha."

"Don't I wish my boyfriend was hung like Brian.......don't I wish my boyfriend was a freak like B."

Here is the real words in case the radio signals don't reach your house from the city....

[Chorus]
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Dont cha, dont cha
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was raw like me
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was fun like me
Dont cha, dont cha

Eye candy...
http://580wdbo.com/images/optomized/pcats-2.jpg

Wiscon_Mark
09-17-2005, 11:39 PM
wow, either you have a lot of pics on tap on your computer or spend time on those posts :shock: :lol:

Anyways, you can leave my girlfriend out of this :x

Oh, and those girls are all kinda ugly, IMO...not really my style. Too much makeup, course the photo quality sucks, that could have something to do with it.

Any updates, PWT?