PDA

View Full Version : Gear lever is all over the place!

AkumaMax
05-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Sorry for the weird title name but not sure how else to describe it. When I have the car in any gear while driving my shifter can move left to right as if it was in neutral? If I'm in first it looks like the shifter is in the center of the car. I was just wondering how I would go about fixing this. It's making my shifts crappy. Do I need to replace bushings or something? If so where do I go about getting the stuff to fix this car?

WinterKnoll
05-18-2008, 10:37 AM
If you got a short-shifter, that would probably fix the issue, I think a lot of cars have a lot of play in the stick shift stock. Even with my short shifter, I still have a little bit, like ine 3rd/4th gear, but it's much less.

AkumaMax
05-18-2008, 12:05 PM
no this is the first car that has had this issue. I have had 4 Acura integras all with well over 160k on all of them and none of them even remotely had this much play! I mean any gear I am in I can move the stick all the way left and all the way right! Just as much as I could while in neutral.

Plays_with_Toys
05-18-2008, 05:24 PM
It's the shifter bushings. Replace those and it'll be back to normal. I have seen one legacy where the shifter was exactly as you describe it. I didn't even know what gear I was going into.

What year is your car? Kartboy might have some bushings to fit it and they are supposed to be absolutely superb bushings.

Airgne
05-18-2008, 05:42 PM
i got me a beatrush shifter busing and kartboy ss and it helped alot. it moves maybe 1/8in in gear.

sharky nrk
05-18-2008, 06:43 PM
the wandering shifter is due to the combination of any of these things

centering spring
pivot bushings
front bushings
rear stabilizer bushings
linkage bushings

replacing all or some will fix the sucky shifter feel

AkumaMax
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
yea Also when i'm in gear and let off the gas and just let it slow down with the gear my shifter rattles but only in 2nd, and 4th? I just want to fix this fast because I all ready over revved and I have never done that ever! I was so pissed at myself.

sharky nrk
05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
bushings and springs as listed above will cure all of those issues