PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions - cleaning soda spills & new audio system

95legacyl
09-15-2005, 09:07 PM
ok so the person i bought the car from failed to tell me he spilled coke all over the place so everything from the aircondition to the radio is sticky, is there anything that will loosen it up with out shorting everything out.

i know there alot of posts about this but i want a new system nothing to big its just i want to be able to hear the music when the windows are down :lol:

ive got about $300 i can spend i want new speakers,subs,amp and a cd player.

shazapple
09-16-2005, 09:43 AM
It seems every subaru has this all over the place :x

Take the center consol apart by starting in the armrest (theres two screws near the ebrake, then everything else should pop out) theres two screws that hold in the cupholder and part of the stereo trim. theres two screws at the bottom of the stereo trim. Pull out the stuff bin/cigarette tray and there should be two more screws hidden up there

I just use soapy water to clean my HVAC and such. I had to take my cupholder all apart to get it to stop sticking though.

shazapple
09-16-2005, 09:46 AM
As for your second, $300 bucks isnt going to get you all that :shock:

Go for a nice Head Unit and 4 nice speakers. I have a Kenwood MP3 CD player and front speakers which make a world of difference. The stock speakers are junk, and the stock HU doesnt help! Im saving up to get a small amp and 10" sub

95legacyl
09-16-2005, 10:34 AM
so i was searching around ebay and found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PYLE-AMP-CD-MP3 ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PYLE-AMP-CD-MP3-COMPLETE-CAR-AUDIO-SOUND-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ5807874410QQcategoryZ18796QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

it looks like a really good deal but like they say if its to good to be true it is

Huffer
09-16-2005, 10:53 AM
ok so the person i bought the car from failed to tell me he spilled coke all over the place so everything from the aircondition to the radio is sticky, is there anything that will loosen it up with out shorting everything out.

Goo gone, q-tips and paper towels work pretty well. You might want to remove the screws etc just to loosen stuff up so you can get in and check things.

Sounds - the tweeter upgrade (OEM) is going cheap on allsubaru.com right now $15 I think.

You could also think about getting a new headunit. That's the source of the music, so it should be a good one. Spend at least $150-200 on that.
The paper cone speakers are actually not too bad, providing they're not blown.

But tweeters really increase the deliverable audibles, plus they place the trebles closer to your ears because of the raised height position.

95legacyl
09-16-2005, 04:34 PM
The paper cone speakers are actually not too bad, providing they're not blown.
yeah there all but blown

Huffer
09-16-2005, 04:36 PM
cool! turbo speakers! :D

I like kenwoods for value... I go for frequency response specs and haven't been dissappointed..

badbasser98
09-16-2005, 09:36 PM
I have had many different kinds of speakers in the past, I have put JL's in both of my Legacy's, and damn do they sound good. Approx $140/pair, but worth every penny. Before I had a sub in my BD I was quite happy with the amount of punch and bass they supplied. Then after the sub was installed, they complimented it nicely by providing a strong mid-range. And the clarity is amazing, but I imagine all of this also weighs heavily on what kind of deck you have and its quality. I have been happy with my Alpine.

-BB98

gator gt
09-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Goo-gone may work on your coke....but I've got something that will blow its socks off....Prep-Sol. Its flammable, so be forewarned. It is clear and flows like water....one whiff will tell you its not, though.

But this stuff is used to prep surfaces for paint. So it'll evaporate. Don't go to AutoZone or Pepboys....for as far as I know, they don't carry it. duPont puts it out...so swing by your local mini chain of slightly more expensive auto stores and they should have it. In fact, swing by an automotive store that has a dedicated paint dept...they'll have it.

It took off that rear tail light adhesive sealant tar when I swapped out my corners for JDM lights; it takes pine tree sap/pitch off your car's finish without harming your clear coat (I've done it), it'll get road grime (oil, tar, bubble gum) off your rocker panels and out of the inside of your wheels....

so yes, it'll totally rid your car of that measly mess you call coke. :lol:

Its very easy to use. Fold up a paper towel and tightly place it over the opening of the container (1 gallon, metal), tip container onto papertowel and back quickly to get liquid onto PT, rub affected area (lightly on paint, harder on non-painted surfaces) and repeat till mess is gone. Keep a clean dry piece of PT handy to wipe away excess Prep-Sol....you shouldn't let a puddle of it just sit there it evaporate....but a thin film of it is okay.

Keep flipping the folds of the PT to get a clean surface so as to not work in the grim you just took off....and it WILL come off!!

I've used it for oil, grease, bird poo, pine tree pitch, bug guts, road grime, brake dust on wheels, and for actual paint prep.

Stuff is great. I haven't come across a mess I couldn't handle with it.

GGT

95legacyl
09-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Goo-gone may work on your coke....but I've got something that will blow its socks off....Prep-Sol. Its flammable, so be forewarned. It is clear and flows like water....one whiff will tell you its not, though.

But this stuff is used to prep surfaces for paint. So it'll evaporate. Don't go to AutoZone or Pepboys....for as far as I know, they don't carry it. duPont puts it out...so swing by your local mini chain of slightly more expensive auto stores and they should have it. In fact, swing by an automotive store that has a dedicated paint dept...they'll have it.

It took off that rear tail light adhesive sealant tar when I swapped out my corners for JDM lights; it takes pine tree sap/pitch off your car's finish without harming your clear coat (I've done it), it'll get road grime (oil, tar, bubble gum) off your rocker panels and out of the inside of your wheels....

so yes, it'll totally rid your car of that measly mess you call coke. :lol:

Its very easy to use. Fold up a paper towel and tightly place it over the opening of the container (1 gallon, metal), tip container onto papertowel and back quickly to get liquid onto PT, rub affected area (lightly on paint, harder on non-painted surfaces) and repeat till mess is gone. Keep a clean dry piece of PT handy to wipe away excess Prep-Sol....you shouldn't let a puddle of it just sit there it evaporate....but a thin film of it is okay.

Keep flipping the folds of the PT to get a clean surface so as to not work in the grim you just took off....and it WILL come off!!

I've used it for oil, grease, bird poo, pine tree pitch, bug guts, road grime, brake dust on wheels, and for actual paint prep.

Stuff is great. I haven't come across a mess I couldn't handle with it.

GGT
wow sounds like some strong stuff you think it would work on tar too cause i took a look under my car today and under the rear wheel wells theres a coating of tar, i no they make tar stuff but if this stuff works on it why buy to differant things

2deadlegs
09-17-2005, 11:35 PM
You could have bought my old amp if you had $50.00 more....forgot shipping...make it $80.00 more.

That was a bad bitch.

1,500 WATTS RMS!!! yes I said RMS!!!

I always get deals on HUGE sweet amps so don't go and "blow your wad" just yet. I might be able to get you some subs cheap too.

I have tons of room in my splorer but I am saving the room for a window A/C unit. (yes a window A/C) It's either that or an RV rooftop unit. I want it to be freeeeeeezing in there.

The penguins with the zuchini slicers will fill right at home...(PWT)

Wiscon_Mark
09-17-2005, 11:51 PM
+1 for JL speakers, definitely a well rounded speaker.

You can put 6.5" or 5.25" speakers in your car, either will bolt right in (at least in my experience).

If you don't want to pay for JL, polk or infinity are pretty good buys. Pioneer is decent stuff. Haven't had much experience with Kenwood, but they never seemed like anything special.

As for a headunit, Panasonic, JVC, Eclipse are all good, Eclipse is definitely the best there though...decently priced too. Finding a dealer is the trick though :?

shazapple
09-18-2005, 12:40 AM
I cleaned the goo out of my dash yesterday. I tried some stuff but the best that worked was a toothbrush and soapy water

95legacyl
09-19-2005, 08:17 PM
ok so ive got about 100 dollars right now so i want some input on a good head unit or advice on what i should be looking for when i go out and look for one

Wiscon_Mark
09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
good: Eclipse, Panasonic, JVC

decent: Pioneer, Kenwood

crap: generic brands like sylvania and durabrand

also, sony Xplods have the possibility of actually exploding :twisted: :lol:

I'd avoid them, sony doesn't make good car audio.

2deadlegs
09-19-2005, 08:54 PM
EBAY PUNK!!!

95legacyl
09-19-2005, 09:03 PM
EBAY PUNK!!!
im 16 i have no credit card and my parents wont let me use theres so i just want some advice on what kinda specs i should be looking for when i go look at some of the local shops

Wiscon_Mark
09-19-2005, 09:09 PM
im 16 i have no credit card and my parents wont let me use theres so i just want some advice on what kinda specs i should be looking for when i go look at some of the local shops

Don't look at max wattage, look at RMS.
If you like your FM, check for radio sensitivity (probably 10-13db is good)
Go for a low distortion ratio (most listed above in "good" category will have a low one)
don't go for the flashiest piece out there, look at features and stuff.
A roatary knob for volume is much nicer and more user-friendly than two push buttons.
Get a display that's not too bright at night
If you want an amp/subs, get ones with preouts

Eclipse will own all in every single category listed, IMO, but its also a few dollars more expensive than these.

I'd reccomend the lower line Panasonics, JVCs, and (I forgot this one before) Alpines.

I believe the lower Panasonics are below 100 bucks and you get a CD/FM/AM deck that's a good buy, but won't have a lot of flashy stuff attatched.

that's my .02

95legacyl
09-19-2005, 09:22 PM
yeah thats one of the new things ive learn is to look at rms not watts and i was looking at panasonic already i think i found one thats decent and its in my budget, thanks for the help

Wiscon_Mark
09-19-2005, 09:27 PM
always happy to help :smt023

scottzg
09-20-2005, 01:57 AM
good: Eclipse, Panasonic, JVC

decent: Pioneer, Kenwood

crap: generic brands like sylvania and durabrand

Panasonic and jvc make better head units than pioneer and kenwood?

Doth mine ears decieve me??

Wiscon_Mark
09-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Personal Opinion, Scott, but I think they do. JVC is the better of the two for quality.

But this is the bang for your buck category, and I think the lower end panasonics are better than the lower end Pioneers. It very well may be different in the 300-400 dollar range.

shazapple
09-20-2005, 09:28 AM
I like my kenwood, but its a year and a half old and will no longer play MP3 cds :x

Also, it has the display which shows flashing and dancing stuff, but youd thinki t would be able to show that little graph of the music (like in winamp).