PDA

View Full Version : i want to get my car lowered

GTDrifter
05-24-2008, 08:32 PM
i have a 98 GT sedan and i wanna get it lowered over the summer...whatall do i have to buy?

decke48
05-24-2008, 08:55 PM
springs, camber kit, and a alinement basicly is all you need to lower it. but depending on the condition on the struts and top hats. i would replace them at the time of lowering it. if in need to replace

GTDrifter
05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
the only thing im really worried about is the botton of the spring looks like its about an inch away from my tire...would that change at all?

decke48
05-24-2008, 11:05 PM
no you wouldnt change the length from the bottom of the strut assembly to the spring perch.. just the spring perch to tophat gets shorter. if that makes sence.

WinterKnoll
05-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I would recommend looking into new struts while you're at it if your current ones have some mileage. The KYB GR-2s are a pretty good stock replacement solution, and extremely cheap at just a little over $200 for all 4.

GTDrifter
05-25-2008, 09:48 PM
yeah...i dont have much cash to spare so cheapest options to getting it lowered? and im talking about the space between the top of the tire to the bottom of the assembly

Huffer
05-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Cheap = spending more money in the long run.

Do it once, do it right.

GTDrifter
06-01-2008, 07:55 PM
ok...i was talking to my friend at wal mart and he said that instead of lowering springs and all i could just buy these clips from advanced auto parts or a and a or whatever and clip them on my springs to lower my car

he forgot what their called...maybe you heard of them...if you did then tell me if they work or not

it also gave me questions like wouldnt that tighten up the suspension or something like that?

4n70n1n0
06-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I would not do the Clips or if someone tells you to cut your springs don't do it either

Just as stated by huffer save money and do it all once and do it right

Cheap = spending more money in the long run.

Do it once, do it right.

Huffer
06-02-2008, 02:32 PM
If you use "clips" you're essentially compressing your spring using an artificial load. You're also compressing your strut as if you were carrying a large, heavy load in your car.

Is this safe? No.
Is this legal? Probably not.
What happens if one of the clips breaks? The corner that is affected will quickly rise up and be at a different height to the rest of your car. This will theoretically twist the chassis and mess up your alignment.

GTDrifter
06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
my allignment that i just fixed today lol...thanks for the info btw...i was just wondering

impreza_GC8
06-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Don't go halfway now only to have to replace blown struts later. Save until you can afford springs and struts all at once.
That said, if you want to lower your car quickly and safely, invest in a good set of lowering springs that will work well with your stock struts. Eibach makes a spring that provides a small drop and a bit better performance for pretty cheap that seems to be just the right product for you.
STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP COILOVER SLEEVES AND "CLIPS"

Huffer
06-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Eibach no longer makes said spring.

impreza_GC8
06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Eibach no longer makes said spring.
Well I would trust his word on this. My point still remains the same, don't cheap out or you will pay in the long run. Get a spring that works decently with the stock shocks (that means DONT slam the car on cheap Tein's or some other spring with a large drop) unless you plan on changing your shocks at the same time.