PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Dip Stick

WolfpackEngineering
06-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Quick Question. I was checking the transmission oil on my 98 Legacy GT today and I could only find a dip stick for the front differential. The service manual makes it look otherwise. Are the transmission and front dip stick the same? In other words if the front diff fluid is fine, then so is the trany oil?

Thanks

shizznats
06-02-2008, 12:33 AM
yeah i believe so, the tranny and the front diff are one thing on a stick. ive tried checkin that dipstick level, but i cant get the dam thing out with all the wires in the way..

WolfpackEngineering
06-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, Its a pain!!! Try removing it by angling it towards the vacuum pump or fire wall. It took me a couple tries to find a "free" path.

Thanks

1-3-2-4
06-02-2008, 10:25 AM
on the side note my FWD Subaru was the only FWD car I know of that I had to check my front diff oil as well.. I guess that had to be because of the boxer engine.

MCarp22
06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
on the side note my FWD Subaru was the only FWD car I know of that I had to check my front diff oil as well.. I guess that had to be because of the boxer engine.

It's not a boxer thing, subaru's transmission uses seperate fluid for the front diff since it's not a transaxle.

WolfpackEngineering
06-02-2008, 05:49 PM

It's not a boxer thing, subaru's transmission uses seperate fluid for the front diff since it's not a transaxle.

Is it fluid for the front diff runnning off the same oil supplied for the tranny? I assume it is since there is only one dip stick.

1-3-2-4
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM

Is it fluid for the front diff runnning off the same oil supplied for the tranny? I assume it is since there is only one dip stick.

No.

Hocrest
06-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Auto's have 2 dipsticks. Front diff is on right side and trans is on left. Gear oil goes in the diff, ATF goes in the trans.

Manual's have one dipstick. Gear oil is the same between the diff and trans. Dipstick is on the right.

This is true for both AWD and FWD cars.

1-3-2-4
06-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Auto's have 2 dipsticks. Front diff is on right side and trans is on left. Gear oil goes in the diff, ATF goes in the trans.

Manual's have one dipstick. Gear oil is the same between the diff and trans. Dipstick is on the right.

On what Subaru is this??

My 1995 Impreza L FWD had two dipsticks one for the front Diff and one for the Auto transmission fluid.

Hocrest
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM

On what Subaru is this??

My 1995 Impreza L FWD had two dipsticks one for the front Diff and one for the Auto transmission fluid.

Yeah, just like I said. Auto's have 2 dipsticks.

None of the earlier post made any reference to auto or manual, some said one dipstick, some said two. Both are possibally correct depending on the tranny type.

WolfpackEngineering
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I have a manual so...1 dipstick makes sense.