PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Charge EJ22?

CuevaCustoms
06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
How do I turbo charge my EJ22 from my 93 Legacy?

1-3-2-4
06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
simple and safe way engine swap.

CuevaCustoms
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
theres no way I can turbo charge the stock motor that it has? What motor would make a good swap?

1-3-2-4
06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
you could turbo charge the motor with a kit but it would not be as reliable as a factory turbo charged motor. Good motors are EJ22T, EJ20

CuevaCustoms
06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
where could i find a kit for the car? ARe you talking about an EJ22t from a legacy or an impreza?

Huffer
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
search for AVO turbo kit, I do know RS25.com has at least one turbo kit for sale.

Because you're running a 93, you could probably find a front clip from a 90-94 turbo, and swap that in. You'd be boosting an iron block, which would be pretty tough if prepped right.

www.usmb.net (http://www.usmb.net) has some good info.

CuevaCustoms
06-03-2008, 11:21 PM
thanks for the help. Can you do me a favor and tell me all i would need to turbo charge my car other that the kit? can you point me in the right direction to find a front clip?

impreza_GC8
06-03-2008, 11:30 PM
thanks for the help. Can you do me a favor and tell me all i would need to turbo charge my car other that the kit?

If you are wanting to engine swap you would need (at minimum:)
-working turbo motor (obviously) - Legacy EJ22T, WRX EJ20 or EJ25
the motor needs to have: turbo, intercooler, injectors, etc
-the ECU that goes with the motor
-a front crossmember from a turbo Impreza/Legacy (so the downpipe can clear the frame)
-an exhaust for a turbo Impreza/Legacy (stock WRX is fine)
-the ability to splice wires for the interior/exterior lights, washer fluid, and all other parts not essential to the actual running of the engine
-upgraded fuel pump

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but there's probably more. Here is a good place to get your questions answered:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386462

StatGSR
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
i say get build a kit, could be done for well under a grand imo, and get a rising rate FPR and keep the boost low. if you pop the motor they are a dime a dozen and cheap to pick up.

CuevaCustoms
06-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I would rather get a kit but i cant seem to find any. Whats FPR?

1-3-2-4
06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I would rather get a kit but i cant seem to find any. Whats FPR?

it's a Fuel Pressure Regulator.

StatGSR
06-04-2008, 09:20 PM
there isnt going to be any kits for a 93 legacy, you gota look for 2.5 RS kits, and even those will likely have to be modified.

all you need to turbo it is an custom up pipe, turbo, down pipe, intercooler and piping and BOV, an oil sandwich plate, oil return bung in your oil pan, and some oil lines.

CuevaCustoms
06-04-2008, 09:32 PM
has anyone turbo chargered this motor yet?
how hard is it to install a turbo?

StatGSR
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
yes that motor has been turbocharged many times. and the later depends on your skills and understanding of turboing a car.

CuevaCustoms
06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
im kinda new at it as you can probably tell. Right now I have a EJ20TT sitting in the car (not full connected yet). I need to still get the 2nd turbo to fit right. I figured a way to do it. I just dont know if its worth me to do that or just put the old motor back in it a TC it. The other problem i have with the TT is the wiring. I know someone that said they can do it. But I don't know if its worth do that.

WinterKnoll
06-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I would stick with the EJ20TT that's in there now and just figure out the wiring situation. I don't think you'll get as much performance from a bolt-on turbo.

impreza_GC8
06-05-2008, 01:33 AM
im kinda new at it as you can probably tell. Right now I have a EJ20TT sitting in the car (not full connected yet). I need to still get the 2nd turbo to fit right. I figured a way to do it. I just dont know if its worth me to do that or just put the old motor back in it a TC it. The other problem i have with the TT is the wiring. I know someone that said they can do it. But I don't know if its worth do that.

I'd be interested to know how you got that 2nd turbo to fit. The twin turbo EJ motor only works with RHD from what I've been able to tell.

Bohemian_Funk
06-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Well I don't happen to have the luxury of a turbocharged motor at the moment, but from what I've read, it'd make more sense to keep the EJ20R/H (guessing) that you have, and just convert it to single turbo. If you really want it to be a 2.2L, then... err... swap the crankshaft/con rods I guess? I really honestly wouldn't know, but considering the EJ20H (the lower HP of two evils :twisted:) from the JDM Legacy GT had roughly 245hp STOCK (note: on much higher octane fuel, mind you), I would easily choose that over my N/A 135hp 2.2L engine any day of the week, slightly better extreme low end characteristics or no.

Huffer
06-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I'd be interested to know how you got that 2nd turbo to fit. The twin turbo EJ motor only works with RHD from what I've been able to tell.

It's a matter of fabbing up custom pipes for the turbo. the reason the EJ20TT engine doesn't fit normally is because of the downpipe hitting the steering column.

1-3-2-4
06-05-2008, 04:52 PM
That must be the reason why ebay has a crap load of EJ20TT's on ebay some say it's not worth the hassle anyways.

impreza_GC8
06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
That must be the reason why ebay has a crap load of EJ20TT's on ebay some say it's not worth the hassle anyways.
Bingo! Single turbo conversion might not be too hard though..... not sure, I've never really even considered the TT motor as an option for me.

1-3-2-4
06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
[quote="1-3-2-4":36ntuotp]That must be the reason why ebay has a crap load of EJ20TT's on ebay some say it's not worth the hassle anyways.
Bingo! Single turbo conversion might not be too hard though..... not sure, I've never really even considered the TT motor as an option for me.[/quote:36ntuotp]

yeah it looks temping but I'm sure you could find a Wrx engine for about the same price.

Bohemian_Funk
06-05-2008, 07:54 PM
[quote="impreza_GC8":dky3f534][quote="1-3-2-4":dky3f534]That must be the reason why ebay has a crap load of EJ20TT's on ebay some say it's not worth the hassle anyways.
Bingo! Single turbo conversion might not be too hard though..... not sure, I've never really even considered the TT motor as an option for me.[/quote:dky3f534]

yeah it looks temping but I'm sure you could find a Wrx engine for about the same price.[/quote:dky3f534]I'd be interested to find out how the power/response/rev limit of the TT engines would stack up against a similarly priced WRX engine... Then again I'd also like to see a TT engine for sale without a transmission attached to it :lol:.

1-3-2-4
06-05-2008, 07:57 PM
[quote="1-3-2-4":2z9x3wgf][quote="impreza_GC8":2z9x3wgf][quote="1-3-2-4":2z9x3wgf]That must be the reason why ebay has a crap load of EJ20TT's on ebay some say it's not worth the hassle anyways.
Bingo! Single turbo conversion might not be too hard though..... not sure, I've never really even considered the TT motor as an option for me.[/quote:2z9x3wgf]

yeah it looks temping but I'm sure you could find a Wrx engine for about the same price.[/quote:2z9x3wgf]I'd be interested to find out how the power/response/rev limit of the TT engines would stack up against a similarly priced WRX engine... Then again I'd also like to see a TT engine for sale without a transmission attached to it :lol:.[/quote:2z9x3wgf]

LOL yeah seems like they all have a transmission attached huh? I saw one yesterday without one.. I know some on NABISCO was saying the brake stuff was in the way it seems each anwser is not the same.. But from what I hear a single turbo was better then the Twin Turbo version.

decke48
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
the problem with the TT is the primary turbos was badly tuned and the manifold didnt provide good spool. but with a manifold and a good tune there a blast to drive.. much more fun to drive than the single turbos

Bohemian_Funk
06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I'd bet with proper tuning and replacing the parts the stock turbos would probably allow you to hit the 300hp mark with pump gas... but I'm by no means an expert

CuevaCustoms
06-05-2008, 11:20 PM
i think you guys convinced me to stick with my original plan of doing the TT. I got kinda of discourage just cause of all the work that its gonna take. Thanks for all the help. MY leg should be a mean machine when its finally done!

Bohemian_Funk
06-06-2008, 03:22 AM
No problem :wink:! If later you want to run higher boost, but don't want to try and go the route of a closed deck block (i.e. - REALLY F'ING EXPENSIVE, comparatively), you might take a look at this thread on the NASIOC forum: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... hlight=DIY (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952071&highlight=DIY)

The honda/domestic/muscle guys have been doing this for basically decades (at least the muscle guys), so you know that it at least works to some extent.

Plays_with_Toys
06-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Ummm... Your car is a 93. Which means it's OBDI. Isn't that like the easiest motor swap subaru's can have? That's why a 1995 shell bd/bk is the perfect swap if you want the new body style.

I would definitely start getting frisky with doctor google and find out the wiring on your motor as it should only be a few wires that you need to splice. (compared to the many many many it takes to wire a new one).

You also aren't doing a 6 speed swap (I imagine) so that's even less to worry about. Just remember that as much as you want the car to go, you need it to be able to stop as well :wink:

Bohemian_Funk
06-06-2008, 05:31 AM
There is, however, a minor issue on that note that was brought to my attention being that there WERE some '95s that had OBDII, supposedly. I can go over to my local Subaru dealership (almost literally a block away from my house) and find out when the swap over to OBDII happened like, tomorrow just to make sure. I need to find out to make sure my own personal chariot doesn't have the blasted system soon, anyway :twisted:.

Also yeah, on the above note I'd suggest you do basically a full brake upgrade before doing any other major power upgrade as well, especially the brake lines. I know my stockers are in need of replacement, and my Leg's newer than yours. "You've played the demo, now buy the full game", as it were.

impreza_GC8
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
...I need to find out to make sure my own personal chariot doesn't have the blasted system soon, anyway :twisted:....
Or you could just look under your dash and see if there is an OBDII port.....

Bohemian_Funk
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, true... Stinker. I just needed a good reason to visit the dealership :lol:.

CuevaCustoms
06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
what is a OBDI? Why would i want to swap my motor into a 95?

decke48
06-07-2008, 01:57 AM
just look at the emissons sticker on the hood it will say obd1 or obd2.. the car might have a obd2 plug but be obd1.

1-3-2-4
06-07-2008, 08:49 AM
if your car was built after 1995 then it's very sure to have OBD-II

Plays_with_Toys
06-07-2008, 05:49 PM

OBD, on board diagnostic. OBDII has alot more sensors and is checking many more things on the motor and also resulted in evap systems being integrated and monitored.

OBDI is much more archaic and easier to fool. The only thing easier is a carburated motor.

impreza_GC8
06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
just look at the emissons sticker on the hood it will say obd1 or obd2.. the car might have a obd2 plug but be obd1.
This is news to me. It doesn't make sense but whatever.

Wiscon_Mark
06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
An OBDI system will NOT have an OBDII port, that doesn't make an ounce of sense. All cars were required to have an OBDII system from 96 on. That doesn't mean that earlier cars didn't have the system. The 95 Legacy has OBDII built into it, since it was a new model, Subaru probably just got ahead of the game and didn't want to change things after the first model year.

I think it's a common misconception that 96 was the first year for OBDII in every single car made for the US market. It doesn't make any sense that you'd be able to plug an OBDII reader into an OBDI system with an OBDII port and actually get readings.

But, you might have a 95 with an OBDII system that may not be subject to the stricter regulations that a 96 would have because the inspection rules probably only apply to model years, not the small variances on every model year of every car.

So if you want a BD/BK to swap an EJ22T into, I guess a 95 would be the best option. I'd recommend swapping out the harness and the ECU as well though, otherwise you'll probably run into problems with all those pesky OBDII sensors.

Bohemian_Funk
06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, this is very true, as I have begrudgingly noticed on my Legacy, and will make getting my emissions tested after doing an engine swap rather interesting. I guess I'll just have to clean up my old engine after I put in the new engine so I have a nice clean N/A EJ22 specifically for emissions.

I am mildly curious as to how this thread about CuevaCustoms wanting to turbo his first gen leggy (or just keep the EJ20 twin turbo that he all ready has) got turned into a huge discussion about OBD and its various incarnations. I'm going to put this to rest right now: chances are good all second generation Legacies DID have OBDII on them, meaning even '95s had it. Live with it. I have it, you have it, we all have it (except you lucky bastards with first gens).

Plays_With_Toys mentioned that your car had OBDI due to it being a '93, and that such a diagnostics system is why a '95 would be perfect if you want the newer look, because there was some speculation that it doesn't have OBDII what with it not being required until 1996 by the US gov'nerment. After that I was an idiot and went on a tangent about my car hopefully not having OBDII (a thought in which I was of course, sadly mistaken). After that, well... Things got a bit fuzzy I guess :lol:. Make no mistake, your car is your car, and thus yours to do with to your pleasing. Except maybe taking it to be turned into a ton and a half paper weight.

If any of this information is incorrect, then someone may correct me by all means :wink:. Once again, I wish by no means as to be thought of as an "expert" :grin:.

Huffer
06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Why the heck would you keep an EJ22 around "just" for emissions?

Just have the car registered as a special vehicle. Most states have that option, that gives your car a low-volume exemption to EPA testing.

jey
06-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Just have the car registered as a special vehicle. Most states have that option, that gives your car a low-volume exemption to EPA testing.

Don't count on using that option for Missouri. I learned the hard way.