PDA

View Full Version : EJ22 swap

outbacktweaked95
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Im thinking about trying to sway in a EJ22T into my car its a 1995 legacy staton wagon. Ive read that the heads dont flow well at all but the block is tough as hell ive also read that the phase 1 2.5 heads will connect up pretty easy with only minor modifications wiring wise. I was wondering if all these things ive read were right and if they are can i just buy a EJ22T and drop on the heads of a 2.5 and have a OBD-2 compliant EJ22t motor. I want OBD2 compliance because of my in car computer.

StatGSR
06-03-2008, 12:00 AM
^ you wont be able to run that on a stock computer, your guna need a stand alone to run it properly. check out grayguys build, he did that swap into his 98 GT.

Huffer
06-03-2008, 07:12 AM
You could probably run a Perfect Power ECU (piggyback) off the Outback ECU to figure the boost...but I'm pretty sure you're going to need a custom solution to get the tune right.

outbacktweaked95
06-04-2008, 12:09 AM
so i would have to get a stand alone ecu or would i only need to go with a stand alone fuel management system. ive never worked with any custom fuel maps or custom ecus does anyone have any suggestions im a college student so i dont have a bunch of money at the moment but id rather do it right the first time around and spend more that to spend a buch of time waisting money. thanks

impreza_GC8
06-04-2008, 01:36 AM
If you use the same ECU and heads that you already have the stock ECU will work with whatever block you decide to use, assuming you couple it with a fuel controller/computer and a boost controller so the car can run right. This setup will allow you to run small amounts of boost and a conservative A/F tune. You really only need to switch ECU's if you decide to switch heads from DOHC to SOHC or vice versa.

Huffer
06-04-2008, 06:36 AM
^^ interesting. I was going to the run the 99RS shortblock w/ my 98 DOHC heads to get an 11.2 comp ratio.

StatGSR
06-04-2008, 02:26 PM
if you dont have a bunch of money right now there is no way that you will be able to do it right....

cheap
fast
reliable

pick any 2

impreza_GC8
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
^^ interesting. I was going to the run the 99RS shortblock w/ my 98 DOHC heads to get an 11.2 comp ratio.
Is this an N/A or turbo build? Seems like an awefully high CR for a turbo build so I'm assuming you are building a higher compression N/A engine. That setup should be very interesting! And it would work with the stock ECU because essentially all you are changing is the shortblock. I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

For the record, the reason I said what I said about using your stock ECU with stock heads comes from experience with my friend's vehicle. He has a Legacy with an EJ205 shortblock using his OEM Legacy SOHC heads and stock SOHC ECU. Granted, he cannot run a lot of boost but it is his reliable daily driver.

outbacktweaked95
06-04-2008, 11:18 PM
I think taht phase 2.5 heads were SOHC if this is true then would need to get a custom ecu for this or just a fuel management and A/F system.

impreza_GC8
06-05-2008, 01:30 AM
I think taht phase 2.5 heads were SOHC if this is true then would need to get a custom ecu for this or just a fuel management and A/F system.

Do you mean "Phase 1 2.5 heads...."?
If so, no. Phase I motors are DOHC. It is easy to tell, just open your hood and look at the plastic belt cover. There are indentations in the cover for each cam, 4 indentations means 4 cams.
Either way, if you use your OEM heads and OEM ECU, you can drop an EJ22T block in and run a fuel and boost controller (along with the other necessary turbo bits) on a conservative tune reliably. This is all theoretical of course. People do this type of setup but bear in mind, nothing is as reliable or smooth as an OEM turbo motor w/ corresponding ECU.

outbacktweaked95
06-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey I found a EJ22 today out of a 91 legacy are all older legacy motors sealed deck or only EJ22T. Also the more I think about it could i use 2.0 heads off a WRX cause I would like to turbocharge this engine

outbacktweaked95
06-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Here was the info i was talking about on 2.5 heads and i dunno i got all mixed up but its phase 2 that has SOHC.

http://legacycentral.org/library/litera ... adswap.htm (http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/headswap.htm)

The more I think about this idea the more im sstarting to like the idea of swaping the EJ22 and using 2.5 heads probally phase 2 and then adding the turbo later. I think it would be better to gradually add power instead of all at once having a good bit more bang. I am also thinking about using 1.8 heads ive heard at my local shop thep add a bit to the motor and with the extra snap of the EJ22 i might have a somewhat fast resonsive wagon, words that are not usually associated with wagons. lol

outbacktweaked95
09-26-2008, 01:08 AM
its been a long time since i last brought up this topic. Im still interested in doing this and im still wondering if all 1990's models EJ22's are closed deck. Ive seen where people have EJ25/22 hybrids im not sure what this is exactly. Also to the best of my understanding with some minor modifications to the stock phase 2 heads they will fit and could i run my engine on low boost 6-8 psi with a 2.5 ecu or do i need to still go with a custom wiring solution for fuel. thanks for any help or any links that could help me out.

deadlydave
09-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Only the EJ22t from the legacy turbos was a closed deck motor.

You missed something...You have a 95? Yes, they have the OBDII port, but you don't have to pass the computer tests at inspection, the law is for 96 and newer cars.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just keep everything running right, maybe do some cosmetic and handling modifications, and keep the body rust-free. Once you're out of school and snag some $$, go crazy with the car. :-)

redlegacygt
09-26-2008, 12:09 PM
your build seems similar to the one that i might be doing if i dont get rid of my car.. The ej25 heads with an ej22 bottom end. Im using ej22t internals though. The turbo is a stock wrx turbo and i'll be using a wrx intercooler as well. For engine management it will be a perfect power 6. there will be some other things as well, but thats the main stuff.

decke48
09-26-2008, 01:32 PM
read this. 2.2t engine with n/a heads
http://www.legacycentral.org/library/li ... adswap.htm (http://www.legacycentral.org/library/literature/headswap.htm)

outbacktweaked95
10-08-2008, 10:59 PM
your build seems similar to the one that i might be doing if i dont get rid of my car.. The ej25 heads with an ej22 bottom end. Im using ej22t internals though. The turbo is a stock wrx turbo and i'll be using a wrx intercooler as well. For engine management it will be a perfect power 6. there will be some other things as well, but thats the main stuff.

How long until u start the build im intersted in the idea and ive go the word out to some of the local subie guys im looking fir a ej22T block pref the whole car thats all rusted up and cheap. also in the engine management will the heads work purfectly fine with the stock ecu and the engine management is used for the fuel management or am i missing something.

subydrift
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
If you swap in the longblock EJ22t then all your stock sensors will bolt up to the stock EJ22T heads. Your cheapest bet to handle the fuel management (especially if you just want it cheap) is an RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure regulator). They can be found for around 100 bucks new but are only good for a few psi reliably. I ran one on my old turboed impreza for a while with 5 psi and it suited, not the best A/F ratios but it was never lean. Or a step up from that would be a Apexi Super AFC-2. This allows you to control the fuel correction at specified RPM levels. I have used these before also and it worked better than the RRFPR but my gas mileage sucked, I did run 12 psi with this unit though.

My question to you is, if your not ready to get the proper engine management to handle boost in your ride then why are you sourcing the one motor that can handle gobs of boost? Kind of redundant it seems. Cause the stock NA EJ22 motors can handle around 8-10 psi with a good tune and supporting mods. It can handle 5-6 psi all day on a good tune and still put good power down. The EJ22T block is mostly sourced for high boost builds because of the strength of the block. And if your not planning on running 10+ psi then why hassle with such a hard to find motor? Not to mention buying another motor? And if you are planning on running 10+ psi with this turbo build then why are you trying to skimp on fuel management? The way you control the boost, fuel, and timing is the single most imprtant factor to aftermarket turbo systems. If your looking to chince out on the management then you might as well chince out on the motor and supporting parts and save yourself the money now for when it goes downhill later.

outbacktweaked95
11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Im planning on running more boost later. Im not intersted on skimping on fuel management im just trying to get my head wrapped around what all im looking at buying and how everyting works out im still astonished that almost everything on subies are swapable. Also my engine has a bit of knock to it so before to long im going to have to replace the engine and im pretty sure i dont have all the funds nessary to do the whole EJ22T project in one sweep with the the fuel managent heads and up down pipes as well as the turbo im looking at. as well as a basic rebild on the EJ22T, no use putting money into a motor that im going to ahve to pull and re build.

long story short i want to use the EJ22T as a n/a motor after the rebuild then go into turbocharging it because of funds. I have plans of making hopefully 12 to 15 psi reliabally everyday after turbocharging it and then upwards to 18 when the boost is turned up a bit so the EJ22 block i have now wont hold the pressure. Also im looking to see how much time and money im going to need to get the new motor into the car. If i need ill get a fuel managemnt system that no problem. i just want to try to keep the cost down so if something goes bad with the rebuild i dont have a bunch of money into a motor that dosent run while im trying to patch my engine together until i can do the swap. If i can get the engine rebuilt and then in then i want to start saving and doing lots of research as well as analyzing compressor maps to see what exact parts i want. Thanks for the input i really appreciate it and if u have any more info on fuel management id really appreciate it. mostly how it all works and what works best and is relitivly easy to tune.