PDA

View Full Version : Looking for that manual rack feeling?

legacy92ej22t
09-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Just run an undriven pulley and an aftermarket steering wheel that's smaller diameter then the oem one. Walla! Makes things feel nice, tight and very responsive. I recommend it highly to anyone trying to tighten things up a bit.

ooberdoob
10-10-2005, 10:44 AM
does that have any ill effects on the pump itself?

Huffer
10-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately you can't legally run a smaller diameter wheel, even if it has an airbag equipped - unless the car was never manufactured with airbags. In which case, go for it. :D

I swapped out my big 390mm wheel on my Impreza wagon, it didn't have ABS or airbags. I changed to a 360mm wheel, made a big difference.
Also made it easier to get in/out of the car quicker. :)

I didn't use an underdriven pulley, just a stock one.

ooberdoob
10-10-2005, 02:16 PM
i thought he was referring to the power steering pump pulley

Huffer
10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
good point!

legacy92ej22t
10-10-2005, 03:03 PM
It's the crank pulley and most of the effect comes from the steering wheel but I believe the UD crank pulley effects thing a little too. I'm thinking about removing the UD crank pulley though because my alternator is hating it.

My '92 didn't have any air bags, so I'm golden. :D

Huffer
10-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Go with a lightweight pulley - same "gains", no negatives.

and "LUCKKKKYYYYEEE!!!"

legacy92ej22t
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll go lw pulley or not. I might just go OEM again because I now run a lw flywheel and it's rumored that it can be bad to run a lw pulley and flywheel at the same time. Who knows though.

Anyone want to trade a GoFastBits lw underdriven crank pulley for a regular LW crank pulley?

Huffer
10-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Well the OEM crank pulley is partly a harmonic dampner... I think most people find the light flywheel is worth more in terms of power because of the weight of the stock flywheel.

I know the flywheel would be higher up on the list of priorities for me. :)

legacy92ej22t
10-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Totally. The OEM flywheel is around 30 lbs and my ACT Streetlite is like 13.8 lbs! It made a huge difference in driveabilty. The revs are much faster up and down. Once you get used to it you can heel-toe lightening fast, it's sweet.

I've heard that the crank pulley is a harmonic dampner too. I really don't notice many ill effects with the ud pulley accept that my alternator strains at low rpm and my idle can be funky sometimes if it's low. Like there isn't enough enertia (sp?) to keep it going and the engine fights to stay steady.

Wiscon_Mark
10-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll go lw pulley or not. I might just go OEM again because I now run a lw flywheel and it's rumored that it can be bad to run a lw pulley and flywheel at the same time. Who knows though.

Yeah, serious racing owners were having issues with that. They were mostly snapping timing belts because the flywheel and pulley were so light, or in another case, one of them (can't remember which) was snapping teeth or something like that and screwing the timing up.

I'd go with a flywheel, non-underdriven, 14lbs or so...

legacy92ej22t
10-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Hehe, they don't make underdriven flywheels. :wink:

I already run a lw flywheel too. ACT streetlite, 13.8 lbs.

Wiscon_Mark
10-10-2005, 06:57 PM
oops, don't know what I was thinking... :oops:

I knew that :?

yeah, you should ditch the pulley, I think. And check your timing belt, maybe...

Huffer
10-11-2005, 11:14 AM
I've heard that the crank pulley is a harmonic dampner too. I really don't notice many ill effects with the ud pulley accept that my alternator strains at low rpm and my idle can be funky sometimes if it's low. Like there isn't enough enertia (sp?) to keep it going and the engine fights to stay steady.

The timing belt that you use might be stretching... has it always been that way?

The newer setups in the 2.5RS are able to accept UD pulleys more readily - or they are able to resist the parasitic power drain better.

Plays_with_Toys
10-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Hehe, they don't make underdriven flywheels. :wink:

I already run a lw flywheel too. ACT streetlite, 13.8 lbs.

Link please. Clutch is going to go out in the next year, I just know it.

jey
10-11-2005, 06:49 PM
The Fidanza flywheel is also good: http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/fidanza/

Weighs 9.5 pounds and I love it!