PDA

View Full Version : New Ebay scam? Magnetic Fuel Saver Subaru WRX/STI/Impreza/

Svenerachi1
09-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Magnetic Fuel Saver Subaru WRX/STI/Impreza/Legacy +MPG

Okay, here's what it says it does... basically is claims to ionize the fuel, making it burn more rapidly and cleaner, and because it burns faster and more completely, there is more power created in the combustion chamber, claims of up to 10% increase in HP, 15% in fuel economy.

So c'mon you tech's, rip this one apart for us, cause i would love for this to be true so that i could save ANY money on gas. I've been driving like my grandmother for the last month or two. <sigh> I've even been going as slow as the civics. its truley sad.

Oh, and they say the magnets are Neodymium, a supposedly rare naturally occuring magnet.

thanks guys

pdawg
09-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Here's what Google says about Neodymium:

History
(Gr. neos, new, and didymos, twin)
In 1841, Mosander, extracted from cerite a new rose-colored oxide, which he believed contained a new element.
He named the element didymium, as it was an inseparable twin brother of lanthanum.
In 1885 von Welsbach separated didymium into two new elemental components, neodymia and praseodymia, by repeated fractionation of amonium didymium nitrate.
While the free metal is in misch metal, long known and used as a pyrophoric alloy for light flints, the element was not isolated in relatively pure form until 1925.
Neodymium is present in misch metal to the extent of about 18%.
It is present in the minerals monazite and bastnasite, which are principal sources of rare-earth metals.
The element may be obtained by separating neodymium salts from other rare eaths by ion-exchange or solvent extraction techniques, and by reducing anhydrous halides such as NdF3 with calcium metal. Other separation techniques are possible.
Properties
The metal has a bright silvery metallic luster, Neodymium is one of the more reactive rare-earth metals and quickly tarnishes in air, forming an oxide that spalls off and exposes metal to oxidation.
The metal, therefore, should be kept under light mineral oil or sealed in a plastic material.
Neodymium exists in two allotropic forms, with a transformation from a double hexagonal to a body-centered cubic structure taking place at 863C.
Isotopes
Natural neodymium is a mixture of seven stable isotopes. Fourteen other radioactive isotopes are recgnized.
Uses
Didymium, of which neodymium is a component, is used for coloring glass to make welder's goggles.
By itself, neodymium colors glass delicate shades ranging from pure violet through wine-red and warm gray.
Light transmitted through such glass shows unusually sharp absorption bands.
The glass has been used in astronomical work to produce sharp bands by which spectral lines may be calibrated.
Glass containing neodymium can be used as a laser material to produce coherent light.
Neodymium salts are also used as a colorant for enamels.
Costs
The price of the metal is about $1/g.
Handling
Neodymium has a low-to-moderate actue toxic rating. As with other rare earths, neodymium should be handled with care.

Wiscon_Mark
09-26-2005, 08:34 PM
sounds like bull....

Wiscon_Mark
09-27-2005, 08:17 PM
I read an article in Popular mechanics about these sorts of things (dealt with the Tornado, fuel ionizers, spark plug mods, and stuff) and it said it didn't do jack, although it didn't hurt anything either.

Think about it this way: Your fuel is probably 99% combusted, and the other 1% or so doesn't get used for combustion. Pretty sure you aren't going to be getting a 20% increase in fuel efficiency because its impossible to combust 119% of your fuel :lol:

95legacyl
09-27-2005, 08:25 PM
i wish that was true that would be a nice gain and also im sure this has been discused and i could probably look it up but anyone use or no about the tornado weather it works or not.

Wiscon_Mark
09-27-2005, 08:27 PM
its dubious that it does anything, but Popular Mechanics said it did absolutely nothing to performance and hurt fuel economy by 10%