PDA

View Full Version : Group N vs Group A Pitch Stop Mount

RootedTree
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm going to be buying the Group N engine mounts and I saw they sell a pitch mount as well, but I've always had my eye on the Group A pitch mount. Which do you think is best for reducing engine movement without increasing NVH too much?

Reason
06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
The Group N is above stock, the Group A is above the Group N. I have the Group A pitch stop installed now. I had the Group N and sold it.

Reason
06-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Oh and both will increase noise, theres no avoiding it unless you by a new stock mount. It's nothing serious, I don't know what some people complain about it.

Huffer
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Which do you think is best for reducing engine movement without increasing NVH too much?

The Group N STi pitch stop is your best bet - it is a firmer rubber whereas the Group A product is solid metal.

Reason
06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Which do you think is best for reducing engine movement without increasing NVH too much?

The Group N STi pitch stop is your best bet - it is a firmer rubber whereas the Group A product is solid metal.

Let me clear this up. The Group N is made out of the same composite plastic like the OEM pitch stop but has a more firm rubber like Roger said. The Group A pitch stop is made of solid aluminum with urethane bushings.

Airgne
06-20-2008, 08:41 PM
i got all group n moutns and i noticed a slight noise incresse. im about to move from the groupn n mounts to the cusco poly mounts.

decke48
06-20-2008, 10:16 PM
omg cusco's are stiff. but i loved them

auspex
06-20-2008, 11:53 PM
I moved to a Group N pitch stop about 6 months ago...I'm about to move back to stock.

The advantages, to me, aren't worth all the extra noise. I listen to loud, crazy music , so I love noise, but I may have to upgrade my sound system AGAIN just to keep up with all the road noise now introduced into my cabin.

Someone said it makes your firewall like a speaker. Perfect comparison.

Figurign it's a decade old car and shit can go wrong, the extra vibrations have rattled something loose in my dash. Now, more noise.

For the miniscule 'advantages' of the pitch stop, I don't believe it's worht the price.

My opinion. My ultimate goal is to build a speedy GT, that's also mildly comfortable to drive. The pitch stop mount is not going to achieve this without me throwing in sheets of sound deadening material.

But, ya know, I could QQ

auspex
06-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Also, this thing has been in for a while, so at first I loved it. After a while, and it may be more like a year, it's gotten too noticeable.

Reason
06-20-2008, 11:57 PM
That's weird, I have the stock system and I don't blast the music and I can't hear any extra noise till the radio is off.

Huffer
06-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Lets not forget that a huge sound system is going to rattle the car as well. So as NVH from stiffer mounts increases, and you turn up the volume, the more the doors and other parts are going to rattle because you've effectively increase the amount of ACTIVE vibration going on in the doors.

Speakers just make air vibrate.

auspex
06-21-2008, 10:38 AM
haha, I guess I should clarify. I only upgraded my 6.5's up front. Nothing bumpin' and def no rattling from my stereo.

But the vibrations from the motor are definitely noticeable compared to the stock pitch mount.

auspex
06-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Maybe I shouldn't pin this all on the pitch stop mount. I've upgraded most bushings and such to stiffer polyurethane which has probably compounded the levels of NVH.

Also, there might be another problem with car altogether that's creating the extra noise. It just wasn't really noticeable until I installed the mount.

Airgne
06-21-2008, 08:44 PM
i cant hear that pitch beam at all. didnt put anymore sound into the cabin at all.

decke48
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
yeah what everyone complaining about. i couldnt hear mine

Reason
06-22-2008, 01:11 PM
yeah what everyone complaining about. i couldnt hear mine

It's called paranoia.

RootedTree
06-22-2008, 02:40 PM
alright. group a it is. ill probably order them next week and ill let you guys know whether the increase in NVH is noticeable or not. i dont think it will be, i bump my stereo anyway. if there is an increase in NVH, the less dramatic jolts i feel with the hardened engine mounts and pitch stop mount during hard acceleration will be well worth it. thanks for the opinions

rougeben83
06-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Heard mine loud as day, billet aluminum, polybushing pitch mount. I can also hear the very slightest turbo spool as soon as I get out of vacuum. Took it out, didn't really much cared for it. I just put some RTV in the voids of the Group N mount and put that back in. The shift feel of the aluminum mount, while more positive, just made it feel more notchy than "firm" to me, so I didn't really see that as an advantage...but you're talking to the same guy that didn't like his Kartboy shortshifter either :wink:

Also to clarify, there's two types of pitch mounts from subaru, you got the STi mount with the stiffer bushing, but still the dogbone shape, and the Group N mount with the beefier O===o shape but softer bushings.

Changing the material of the pitch stop changes the harmonics of how engine vibration is transferred to the firewall. I'm guessing it doesn't necessarily CREATE more noise, but it changes the frequency so you hear it above the other vibrations already going on.

Anyway, you can get the group A pitch mount or whatever...but get Group N engine mounts, theyre around the same price. Those are more bang for the buck IMO if youre still running stock engine mounts.

Reason
06-23-2008, 03:57 PM
You can and will hear more noise when your radio is off. I drove home with the radio off to get the full effect. If you are a guy that drives with the radio off and like silence don't buy it. If a little bit extra noise doesn't effect and you listen to the radio you won't hear it.