PDA

View Full Version : Tranny and Diff Fluid

WolfpackEngineering
07-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Guys,

Im changing the tranny and diff fluid pretty soon. You guys recomend any fluid in particular?

Thanks

shizznats
07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
scotty's cocktail is pretty popular for subarus ... its a mix of 3 things:

1qt Redline lightweight shockproof
1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh
2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90

Airgne
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
AMSoil all the way. or royal purple. tose are the only good ones you can get in this contry.

Huffer
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't bother with the "cocktail" mix. I did it before, and wouldn't spend the money again.

In the future I will just be using Pennzoil Syncromesh and Redline gear oil for the rear diff.

Reason
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm doing the "cocktail" mix but switching the castrol with Royal Purple.

rougeben83
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Didn't like the cocktail, it broke down real quickly. It looked like coagulated pigs blood after 2 midwest winter and 12k miles. It made the shifting just really notchy (almost feels like grinding gears) and unpleasant towards the end.

I'm using the OEM Subaru Extra-S gear oil now and couldn't be happier. I can actually put the car in 1st now while its still rolling. They only sell the stuff by the barrel though...so if you can get a couple of Subaru guys to chip in for one, you can do probably 4-5 cars with one barrel.

Reason
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm using the OEM Subaru Extra-S gear oil now and couldn't be happier. I can actually put the car in 1st now while its still rolling. They only sell the stuff by the barrel though...so if you can get a couple of Subaru guys to chip in for one, you can do probably 4-5 cars with one barrel.

Or you can buy it by the qt from Turn in Concepts. What do you think broke down in that mix?

rougeben83
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Or you can buy it by the qt from Turn in Concepts. What do you think broke down in that mix?

Yeah, it's cheaper to buy the barrel though, that's what me and some local Detroit guys ended up doing...I still have enough oil left to change the gear oil again.

I'm not sure what specifically broke down, but most likely the additives the Redline shockproof had interacted with the syncromesh...one of the reasons why mixing oils is not recommended to begin with.

Also, Subaru does not recommend any kind of syncromesh additive to be used in their gearboxes (something to do with syncromesh or some other small components being made of brass or zinc inside the transmission).

DS1, which is a big subbie tranny builder/repair shop here in the midwest doesn't recommend the stuff either, but the cocktail has caught on with a lot of subaru owners (especially on NASIOC) so I know I'm in the minority as far as my opinions of it.

Huffer
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Synchromesh has been beaten to death by at least a couple of autox'n Subaru guys near me... they swear by it, and I'll believe them because they ride the redline every weekend.

The issue with the Uncle Scotty's cocktail mix is that it VARIES. It's not a strict recipe of X+Y=Z... in my car now I have Redline HeavyWeight and Redline Shockproof in the tranny. No Castrol or Royal Purple. And I got that version of the recipe from a local subby guy.

impreza_GC8
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Wow, this thread made me ever more confused about what to run in my transmission and rear diff now. I was set on the cocktail, then decided against it. Not I'm against it for sure but I'm not sure what to use. Huffer, you have Redilne Heavy AND Shockproof in your gearbox?

Huffer
07-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I have Redline HW and shockproof... which I think is a bit dumb... but it was a "recommended" mix. I noticed no difference in the shifting vs. what was in there previously.

For sure next time I'm just using a one grade-one manufacturer refill. It's just simpler and far more reliable.

Airgne
07-04-2008, 06:38 PM
i use AMSOIL in my gearbox and rear diff. shits great.

Reason
07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
AMSOIL sounds good, maybe I'll mix that with shock proof.