PDA

View Full Version : Non-Turbo to Turbo

TimBeeno
09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Not sure if I can do this, but i spotted a 1993 turbocharged subaru legacy, and wanted to swap engines with my 1993 NON-turbo engine. Am I gonna be 3 quarters of the way done and be disapointed?

Huffer
09-29-2005, 02:14 PM
You'd have to swap ECU's too. Probably be easy enough!

I say, DO IT! :twisted:

TimBeeno
09-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Is it worth the money though? I would upgrade the turbo and blowoff valve just to get that sound. Thats why i want the turbocharged engine, just cause the sound. Thats bad isn't it?

gator gt
09-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, if you're going after the sound alone...you're going to be rudely awakened when you start getting tickets just to hear the 'sound'. :lol:

Those turbo motors are almost endless when modded correctly. The EJ22t is one of the more bulletproof motors around.

It depends on how it was taken care of if you just plan on swapping it over. None too certain about earlier swap jobs...although I imagine it can't be too dissimilar to a swap on a 2nd gen.....

what am i rattling on about? ---- rewiring. I'm pretty certain that you just can't take yours out and drop the turbo motor in.

(If you can....well, I'm chasing the wrong project!)

Wanting just the sound? Just go find a turbo legacy. You probably won't be disappointed with the end result....but I don't know if you'd like the time and effort it takes to do one of these correctly. And even when you think you've planned everything...something always goes awry.

But, should you finish.....the ride of a FI Subaru is a blast!

GGT

Natoe
10-13-2005, 03:08 AM
k, dont say you want a turbo just because of the sound, that is flat out rice. and if you want turbo noise, the EJ22T is not that loud because the puny vf-11 turbo, and the BYPASS valve, not blow off valve, just makes a whoosh. it is non intercooled, so you cant put a conventional bypass valve on it since other subarus have them mounted on the IC.

the swap: i have ran mine on a NA computer, and its not that great running, im rewiring it to the legacy ecu soon.

BTW, so far it sounds like i dont like the EJ22T- wrong, i think its one of the best subaru engines ever, and reccomend it to everyone, i just think its ridiculous that people can say they just want it for the turbo sound...? get a frickin whistle and blow it if thats what you want.

jdmconnected
10-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Why worry about all that engine swap and ECU wiring mess when all you need to do is connect 3 wires to get that BOV sound from your current NA ride?

You don't need an EJ22T OR a whistle, you need THIS:

http://www.takakaira.com/accessories/nightpager/na_blowoff.jpg

Sample: http://www.takakaira.com/accessories/ni ... /type2.wav (http://www.takakaira.com/accessories/nightpager/type2.wav)

The only thing missing is extra horsepower!

Reason
10-13-2005, 09:34 AM
OMG that is gay!

sheepdog
10-13-2005, 10:59 AM
I like the fact that it is pink :lol:

also dude, if you just want the sound find an aftermarket turbo kit for your NA motor and run low psi. Dont take an EJ22t motor away from the rest of us who would actually use it.

TimBeeno
10-13-2005, 01:29 PM
LOL. Now thats funny! [/u]