PDA

View Full Version : UGH did my transmission die?!

kirbyy
08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Hahah,

my Subie loves me, it told me this greatly today when I was pulling out of a parking lot and all of a sudden when I press the pedal the RPMs' shoot up high, but it goes no where like if the car is in N.

Car was in D though, and it wouldn't move. I had to restart it a few times and hope the transmission would engage, and when it'd did it'd stay in gear for a few meters then the rpms whould shoot up high and bam I'd have to restart.

The other night, my Reverse was weak, and in a straight reverse I'd have to press the gas hard for me to move and even then it'd shake HARD. then after that, the car stalled out (lights came on, engine shut down.)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... st23201114 (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23201114&posted=1#post23201114)

Airgne
08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
aww you again. j/k sti swap. damn we dont have the disco monkey

kirbyy
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
aww you again. j/k sti swap. damn we dont have the disco monkey

Good, no dancing monkey. Mwahaha.

But pretty much confirmed death, right? :'(?

Airgne
08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
well first i would try a drain and flush of the tranny. i dont know if it has a filter or not. if it does i would buy two. i would drain, fill, drain, and fill again. also try some sea foam trans tuen or lucus stop slip. after all that if it doesnt work than yeah dead.

it might cost you 100 bucks for all that, but hey its better than 3k for a swap if it works after all that.

kirbyy
08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
well first i would try a drain and flush of the tranny. i dont know if it has a filter or not. if it does i would buy two. i would drain, fill, drain, and fill again. also try some sea foam trans tuen or lucus stop slip. after all that if it doesnt work than yeah dead.

it might cost you 100 bucks for all that, but hey its better than 3k for a swap if it works after all that.

haha, alright I'll try the ATF change and new filter. Got nothing to loose.

If not, I'm going to replace it with a late 97' Transmission. I got one scored for 250$ shipped to my door. :D

No swap for me :neutral: unless you're offering parts/labor :P

J.McDonald Knives
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Just make sure if you have to do the swap that its the same gear ratio as the rear diff or you will have more problems later.

sansMYSTi
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
My wifes '00 Outback did this for about a year on and off until we couldn't get the thing up our driveway. Seems to be a common failure with the 4EAT - I think I heard something from a Subaru tech about a seal that dries out in the back of the tranny that leads to the failure. If you have the same problem, I would suggest to get it fixed ASAP before it is too late. We just dropped quite a bit for a rebuild - you don't want to go through that.

1-3-2-4
08-06-2008, 03:27 PM
hmm... my 4EAT in my impreza I wonder if it was the same as you describe..

However in Reverse it slipped like mad.. at first it was fine but as time went on it got worst and worst until one day in a parking lot I went backwards then forward then backwards again and that's when I was not able to back up anymore but my forward worked in all 4 gears.

funny thing about that day was I had a tire blow out on the highway about 5 min later when on the highway in the center lane.

kirbyy
08-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Haha,

so I found out..it was my Duty Solenoid C going bad (also causing Torque Bind.)

Transmission is dead, it'd work but it's dead.

So, I'm swatting it out with another transmission, and fixing my torque bind issue, and fixing my issue now.

Win win win, and way less then what people wanted to just fix the "Torque bind" issue.

So far I'm figuring 350$ for the transmission, maybe 250$ if I'm lucky shipped to my house, then 200/300$ installed.

Woot. :D Good to know it's just the transmission. Now I need to find a good one, and to find a good mechanic to do it in a day.

Huffer
08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I got quoted $600 to repair a torque bind issue, so I figured I'd try draining the fluid twice and throwing in a bottle of Lubegard ATF Protectant.

30,000miles later it's doing fine...I probably caught the overheating in time.

kirbyy
08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Lube Guard is not a permeant fix. ;)

Ah, well atleast I'll have peace of mind my transmission is good! :) for another 2/3 years.

Kinda funny,I was bored so I caculated how much this car costs per month not including insurance or gas.

Bought at 2400$ (yeah, I know, to much my fault..etc.)
Transmission, lets say 300$.
Installed, 300$.

3000$, over 3 years, thats 90$/month or near 24$/week. :D imo it's worth it then get another car.

Now I need to fix my foglights, and my car will be like brand new.

Huffer
08-06-2008, 09:12 PM

30,000 miles isn't a permanent fix?

kirbyy
08-07-2008, 09:56 AM

30,000 miles isn't a permanent fix?

:oops: alright alright you win. :wink: