PDA

View Full Version : POSI Rear end

counterbond
08-08-2008, 04:07 AM
I broke my rear end...yes its true. I am almost ashamed to tell you how it happened.... anyways....

I did a small launch.... on GRAVEL....ridiculous...

Apparently there must have not been enough loose traction, and i chewed up some teeth in my rear diff.

For the time being my buddy welded the gears inside and made it posi.

I've called around for a new rear diff and found one for $200 but i think its used.

Anyways I want to do a swap someday, but don' think i'm going to find a nice rolled over STI for under 4k anytime soon, so i've been tossing around the idea of a wrx swap.

Question is, seeing as i'm thinking about doing a wrx swap, i might as well get started, and do the rear diff, so question is, can i bolt up a wrx rear diff or are the gear ratios different?

counterbond

MCarp22
08-08-2008, 08:15 AM
so question is, can i bolt up a wrx rear diff or are the gear ratios different?

If you're using a US model WRX, no, it will not work.

counterbond
08-11-2008, 03:22 AM
ok well...that lasted long huh...i think one of the welds broke inside the diff, or something, either way, i have one wheel peel in the rear now, (i know so cuz my tires aren't hoping anymore around corners) AND, something made a loud noise from the rear end and then it stopped chirping tires so...

We need to pull the diff out...hopefully tonight...

I was curious if anyone knows how to remove the cv's from the rear end?

counterbond

Hocrest
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
What car are you working on??

Year
Model
Eng/Trans

counterbond
08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
97 leg gt 5 spd

Hocrest
08-12-2008, 12:27 AM
The axles will pop out. Just get a big pry bar and pry out against one of the side bolts.