PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if you have rear VLSD?

rougeben83
08-18-2008, 09:50 PM
What's the rule again for testing to see if your rear diff is LSD?

Put the car up in the air in neutral, spin one wheel in one direction and the other one should spin in the opposite? Or should it not spin? I forget which one it is... :grin:

Reason being, while I was having an exhaust leak patched up today, one of the other welders was in awe of probably the first AWD car he has ever seen in his life and was slowly spinning one of my rear tires and the other one started to spin in the opposite direction...

KAG
08-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Put your car in gear (1st) and spin it one way. LSD, the wheels will go the same.

Open diff, just like you said. One will go one way and the other will go the opposite way.

I have an open diff unit in my garage if you want me to put up a vid or something of how it works.

1-3-2-4
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Your car has an open front and rear diff.. The GT model if I'm not mistaken has a rear LSD.

Sarra
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Your car has an open front and rear diff.. The GT model if I'm not mistaken has a rear LSD.

BD, BG, BK never had an LSD except in the center diff. BC/BJ turbos had LSD in the rear, but not the NA. BE/BH, I believe that the GT's came with LSD, not sure on the outback. BL/BP have LSD on the turbo, and open on the NA, IIRC.

1-3-2-4
08-19-2008, 03:10 PM

BD, BG, BK never had an LSD except in the center diff. BC/BJ turbos had LSD in the rear, but not the NA. BE/BH, I believe that the GT's came with LSD, not sure on the outback. BL/BP have LSD on the turbo, and open on the NA, IIRC.

yeah I should of been a bit more clear.. I thought with him listing his car as an 03 Legacy L was enough. And I'm not too sure about the outback myself.

jey
08-22-2008, 03:32 PM

BP Outback (even NA) comes with a rear LSD except for the stripped down Base (non 2.5i) models.

According to cars101.com the BH Outback came with a rear LSD except for the 2000MY where it was not on the stripped down base model.

Sarra
08-22-2008, 05:49 PM

BP Outback (even NA) comes with a rear LSD except for the stripped down Base (non 2.5i) models.

According to cars101.com the BH Outback came with a rear LSD except for the 2000MY where it was not on the stripped down base model.

Ahh. I wasn't too clear on that, actually, thanks for the correction. I don't really like or care about the newer Legacies, so I haven't paid as much attention to them as I probably should.