PDA

View Full Version : Electrickery: Keyless Entry System

Huffer
10-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Long story. Read at own peril.

98 BD GT, 4EAT.

Ever since I've owned this car, the keyless entry system has been iffy. I originally never bothered to find out why it didn't work (the original remote was pretty beat up). I discovered one day that the control module was unplugged. So I plugged in 3 matching plugs, and hey presto, I had keyless entry. The sun shone, the birds sang.

A few weeks ago, I realised that when I opened the drivers door, without locking/unlocking, the dome light didn't switch on, nor did the door light.

I figured that the lights were hooked into the door sensor (in the door frame). I opened up the rubber boot on the door frame to find that the button was BACKWARDS and pushed DOWN INSIDE the frame. 8O :x

I tried to remove the button, but it just dropped a little deeper. And the interior trim decided to be prissy, so I just left it.

Recently the remote died, so I ordered a new one. New one arrived with programming instructions. Except I don't seem to have a button mounted on the car for that. Another set of instructions told me that the alarm LED might also function as a button - except that it's never blinked at me.

So I open up the dash, and lo, the wires are cut. :evil: I drop the entire lower console, find the matching wires, and reconnect them. Brilliant!

I plug in the alarm brain, and the lights start flashing on/off. Crapper.

Then I figure the alarm brain is now recieving some kind of input relay from the door switches (it's all connected to the LED), so I HAVE to resolve the door switch problem. The prissy trim comes off easily this time, and I utilise my legendary chopstick technique to grab the missing door switch and button - which (yep) have also had their wires cut. :roll:

Some more ninja wiring is completed, and when the battery is reconnected, the dome and door lights come on. Woohoo!

I'm almost there. I can taste victory. I'm stealing Catherine Zeta-Jones from Michael Douglas!

I reconnect the alarm brain - and it SEEMS to be working fine, except that it doesn't do anything. I also seem to have reactivated the annoying "you've left your key in the ignition and the door is open" reminder chime.

I think, in order for the alarm to work properly, I have to reprogram the remotes - except, I am missing the programming button.

Is the button supposed to be wired to plug into the missing slot on the alarm module?

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/10/051011_KeylessEntrySystem1-1.jpg
^ All plugs are there, except the last one, which reads "Starter Interrupt". In order to reprogram remotes, you have to turn the key to "ON" and hold down the programming button.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/10/051011_KeylessEntrySystem2-1.jpg
This is where the programming button is supposed to be (according to SOA). I spent an hour hunting under the dash for anything that looked like a button.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2005/10/051011_KeylessEntrySystem3-1.jpg
Another view under the dash, this is what you'd see if you were lying on the floor, staring up at the hood release cable.

Huffer
10-12-2005, 12:34 PM
One note: My keyless entry still doesn't work.
Can anyone help?

shazapple
10-12-2005, 12:55 PM
On my keyless entry/autostart theres a switch to cut power to the module. This switch is obviously an afterthought to the install process and only there to make life simple.

When I switch my module off, and then back on it will go into learn mode (I assume!). I hit the two buttons on my remote and wait a few seconds, and then the remote works!

maybe you can just disconnect the battery and reconnect it? Have you tried searching for a manual online, or going to a local alarm shop? (chances are they'd help you out if you knew the name and model of your device)

maybe the forums over at www.the12volt.com (http://www.the12volt.com) will help

Huffer
10-12-2005, 01:13 PM
On my keyless entry/autostart theres a switch to cut power to the module. This switch is obviously an afterthought to the install process and only there to make life simple.

When I switch my module off, and then back on it will go into learn mode (I assume!). I hit the two buttons on my remote and wait a few seconds, and then the remote works!

maybe you can just disconnect the battery and reconnect it? Have you tried searching for a manual online, or going to a local alarm shop? (chances are they'd help you out if you knew the name and model of your device)

maybe the forums over at www.the12volt.com (http://www.the12volt.com) will help

Can you describe this switch more? Maybe a pic?

I have already done a battery disconnect...I got my reprogram instructions directly from SOA.

Huffer
10-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I got owned by a peice of plastic.

Here is the reprogram button - it looks like a simple plastic grommet, but it's a recessed switch.

http://www.lersoc.com/modules/pnphpbb2/files/button.jpg

shazapple
10-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Thats not easy to miss at all!

Mines just a toggle switch. Glad to see you found it, good luck on the rest of your trek :shock:

GT Wagon
10-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Would it be possible to add keyless entry to a '97 GT or would that be a wiring nightmare ?

shazapple
10-26-2005, 12:14 AM
I added a remote start to my moms 2000 outback. It had the factory keyless entry system, but we use the keyless entry feature on the remote start instead.

I wouldnt say its a nightmare, but you have to know where to look.

xcntrk75
10-26-2005, 09:23 AM
The Keyless entry unit goes into some kind of startup sequence when the power has been removed and restored. This is why the lights will all start blinking until you silence the sequence.

If you ever pull the batt or power to the unit, then plug it back in, all the door solenoids fire (lock) and the lights begin flashing. From what I’ve researched, if you had an audible alarm as part of the system it would be sounding at this point. To clear this state you MUST have a remote and hit the unlock button. The sequence will halt, the doors will unlock, and lights stop flashing. You’re good to go from there.

Likely, somebody didn’t know this and upon replacing power or batt found the lights continually flashing. Maybe they didn’t have a working remote at the time and instead resorted to drastic measures such as cutting/disabling the unit.

xcntrk75
10-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Maybe this will help :wink:

http://66.49.172.173/subaru/misc/sec-1.jpg
http://66.49.172.173/subaru/misc/sec-2.jpg

Huffer
10-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Bloody hell. Where were you when I needed you? :)

Wiscon_Mark
10-27-2005, 09:39 AM
derka, derka muhammed jihad! sherpa, sherpa ah derk allah!

huh?

back on topic, would it be easy to add an aftermarket system to my 95 if I already have power locks? No, it doesn't have the factory system (not sure if that was an option or not) just power locks, so there's a control module in there somewhere.

Huffer
10-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Aftermarket system is easy to install - you may need an extra electric motor on the driver's door (as the door switch IS actually the actuator for the other doors). Not a bad idea, and it saves wear and tear on the paint around the keyhole.

Extra security is never a bad thing when you have time and $$ invested in something.

shazapple
10-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Its easy to add in a aftermarket system. You dont need to find the module, just the wires coming from the door. Most systems just tap into your stock system and send their own signals.

Wiscon_Mark
10-27-2005, 08:39 PM
enh, I wouldn't want an alarm, just to not have to put my key in the lock every damn day. Especially when the key isn't a "perfect fit" (its OEM) because it doesn't like to open the door on the first try, I have to jiggle it several times :x

if its easy, then I can start looking for sales :D

originalkontrol
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
So, I have a question.... the wires from my programming button out have been cut, and I can't tell where they need to go to be attached... where do they go from button? Any help would-be massively appreciated fellas!!!
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!!