PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Legacy GT custom motor mounts

counterbond
09-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone ever done motor mounts on a lgt? I'm thinking about buying the stockers on rockauto, and pulling the rubbers out, and filling with polyurethane....

My other question is. rockauto only has the front left and front right mounts for automatic tranny. They should be the same for a manual right...

And they only have one engine mount for the rear, and its for the left. Is there a right side? How many total mounts are there?

counterbond

Huffer
09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Engine mounts are universal 1993-2007 Impreza also fits Legacy 1991-2005.

Auto and manual engine mounts are the same.
H6 engine mounts are different.

Rallitek and STi mounts also fit.

There are no "front and rear" engine mounts - only left and right. There are only two.

jey
09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Also there is one tranny mount, in the center. There is also a pitch stop mount on the top of the engine, plus the two main motor mounts that Huffer already mentioned.

Grafton
09-15-2008, 04:04 PM
what would be the best option for holding down the motor?
buying used sti mounts?

jey
09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Best option would be NEW STi mounts.

Grafton
09-15-2008, 06:16 PM

for the 04 to 07 model? onto a Ej22?

Reason
09-15-2008, 08:06 PM

+1. buying used mounts for anything isn't the smartest thing.

Also auto and manual tranny mounts are different.

Airgne
09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
i love the sti mounts. i have all 4 group n mounts. if i were to do it again i would go cusco mounts. i like to feel the motor running.

Reason
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
I've seen solid aluminum engine mounts for Subarus before.

Grafton
09-15-2008, 09:55 PM
so my old ej 22 has the same mount as a 300 hp sti motor? (bolt wise)

rougeben83
09-15-2008, 10:02 PM
so my old ej 22 has the same mount as a 300 hp sti motor? (bolt wise)

Pretty much. I know my car (00-04) had little alignment bumps on the crossmember that didn't really line up on the group N mounts, but that didn't stop them from seating properly.

Also sti =/= Group N. If you're upgrading, get the Group N.

Reason
09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
My group N tranny mount went in with no issues. Also did my crossmember bushings too.

counterbond
09-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Also how bout the process??? You don't have to pry the tranny from the motor do you? How about radiator hoses....?

counterbond

Huffer
09-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Depends on how old your setup is. I needed a 600ft/lb impact wrench to do mine.

I have WRX engine mounts to go on my car... anything with less miles is going to be an upgrade.

jey
09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Also how bout the process??? You don't have to pry the tranny from the motor do you? How about radiator hoses....?

counterbond

Process is not too bad. In summary, it goes like this for the 2 motor mounts and the tranny mount:
1. Spray down your nuts and bolts with liquid wrench.
2. Unbolt the nuts that bolt the mount to the crossmembers
3. Use a bottle jack to lift the motor up a little off the mounts
4. Remove mounts
5. Install new mounts
6. Lower the motor back onto the crossmembers - I recommend having a friend help, since it helps to have one person underneath guiding the motor down to the bolt holes while the person above pushes and shoves the engine to the right place.
7. Install the remaining nuts.

You don't have to disconnect anything.

Reason
09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure the pitch stop needs to be taken off at either side.

rougeben83
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM

take off the pitchstop for the engine mounts. Tranny mount, you don't need to take off anything but the center transmission crossmember. A

decke48
09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
what would be the best option for holding down the motor?
buying used sti mounts?
buying cusco engine and tranny mount.. lot better the sti

Reason
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM

take off the pitchstop for the engine mounts. Tranny mount, you don't need to take off anything but the center transmission crossmember. A

At either said I went one side of the pitch stop, so it doesn't need to be completely taken off. When I did my tranny mount I replaced the crossmember bushings. It was a pain in the ass due to rusty bolts. Make sure you don't snap anything. I had the work the bolts back and forth and kept spraying them down with PB blaster. I snapped a bolt on the old tranny mount, that wasn't an issue.

track8
09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the pitch stop needs to be taken off at either side.So that's why I had to smack the mounts to get them back thru the slots.

Definately disconnect the pitch stop.

Tokio
09-20-2008, 11:11 PM

id go with Cusco's first.

counterbond
09-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Well, i bought brand new motor mounts right, left, and rear mount.

All in all paid about 75 for the mounts, and going to pick up a tube of 3m window weld. question is. Why was the rear mount so expensive? is it like a double mount, one that connects to the rear of the motor and to the front of the tranny or something?

Reason
09-30-2008, 05:14 AM
What did you go with? And theres no rear motor mount.

Tokio
09-30-2008, 10:35 AM
i think he means pitch stop.

Huffer
09-30-2008, 12:54 PM
What the hell is with people buying stuff that they don't know anything about?

counterbond
09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
its in the motor mount category for 97 leg gt. it says left right and rear motor mount. I pretty sure its a pitch stop. i dont know what that is though...i hope i need a new one..lol

brandon

counterbond
09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/images/stipitchmount.jpg

so this is a pitch stop huh...
this is pretty much what i pictured it looking like.
the stock one should have rubber pieces thati can take out and fill with window weld right?

also one part goes to the tranny and one part goes to the motor right?

errrr mayve nor lol...

oh yeah and i just bought stock motor mounts to modify

Huffer
09-30-2008, 04:35 PM
oh yeah and i just bought stock motor mounts to modify

You could have just bought upgraded mounts to begin with.

I highly doubt anyone can come up with anything better than what is available on the market right now without some serious R&D time, materials and $$$.

something better would have to be a torque or g-force sensing material that automatically firms/softens...

counterbond
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I dunno for a total cost of 50 dollars? Anyways, i've got a question. They only sent me one motor mount. I thought two came with it but only one did. question is. Was i supposed to order two of the same one?

In otherwords, could you take your left motor mount off and put it on the right ? are they the same part just turned?

Huffer
10-06-2008, 01:51 PM
THERE ARE TWO LOWER ENGINE MOUNTS. The engine sits on these.

THERE IS ONE PITCH MOUNT. This hooks to the firewall.

THERE IS ONE TRANSMISSION MOUNT. This is under the car between the transmission and body.

counterbond
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I understand that.

What I'm saying is. Rock auto sent me one single motor mount. Out of the two Motor mounts that the "engine sits under"

What I'm asking is. Are they interchangeable. Was I supposed to order two of the same part number? Or did rock auto eff up on my order.

They look the same, i'm pretty sure they're interchangeable and i was supposed to order two. I just thought I would verify before ordering another of the same part

counterbond

Colorado_Outback
10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
I understand that.

What I'm saying is. Rock auto sent me one single motor mount. Out of the two Motor mounts that the "engine sits under"

What I'm asking is. Are they interchangeable. Was I supposed to order two of the same part number? Or did rock auto eff up on my order.

They look the same, i'm pretty sure they're interchangeable and i was supposed to order two. I just thought I would verify before ordering another of the same part

counterbond

Ask Rock Auto...