09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
OK. I think I have a diff fluid down.

-Jack the car up
-Make sure that fill bolt comes off
-Remove drain bolt
-let all of the nasty old fluid drain
-Put drain bolt back on and fill from the fill hole
-put fill bolt back on - DONE

Is that right? Also what kind of fluid should I use. I'm afraid to ask anyone in autozone.

How do I go abouts changing the fluid in the Tranny? I'ma use the tranny cock tail in the tranny.

Also can our tranny cocktail be used on other cars. Let's say a 96 Eagle Talon Tsi ?

THANKS

Huffer
09-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't mix rear diff fluid - just get fluid that is specced for your usage - 75w90 is plenty fine. I used Valvoline gear oil.
I do have some Redline fluid sitting around but haven't used it.

Fill the rear diff up to the point where it starts to run out of the fill hole.

Also - when filling, make sure the car is level (front back), otherwise you will not be filling it to the right level.

I used a siphon pump to fill the diff because it's hard to get a bottle in there with the right angle. Turkey basters work too, but it's a lot slower.

It's easy enough to do, so I bought enough fluid and redid it about 2 weeks later.

Airgne
09-17-2008, 10:01 AM
...I'm afraid to ask anyone in autozone.

hey i work part time at autozone!!!! my primary job is rebuilding jet engines. so not all ppl at autozone are stupid. as for your oil i use 75w110 amsoil in tranny and rear diff. make sure you do have the car level just like huf said. that is really the key. make sure your dipstick in the tranny can come out also before you do all this.

rougeben83
09-17-2008, 11:26 AM
rear diff, drain from the bottom hole, fill from the top hole.

You may want to jack up the front of the car to get some additional fluid out.

I use subaru extra S for the tranny. Terrific stuff. If you can get some I would highly suggest it.

4n70n1n0
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
...I'm afraid to ask anyone in autozone.

hey i work part time at autozone!!!! my primary job is rebuilding jet engines. so not all ppl at autozone are stupid.

well no one here that works there doesn't do nearly what you do. they are all high schoolers or high school drop outs with riced out civics. except for one, but he's an asshole that doesn't help anyone.

Cool, seems simple.

I have a Manual Tranny. I didn't think I had a dipstick

jey
09-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I have a Manual Tranny. I didn't think I had a dipstick

It sure does. On the passenger side, near the firewall.

Reason
09-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I like to know where the fill hole if on the M/T. My CRX was easy, this one I don't know.

track8
09-17-2008, 06:32 PM
How do I go abouts changing the fluid in the Tranny? I'ma use the tranny cock tail in the tranny.

Also can our tranny cocktail be used on other cars. Let's say a 96 Eagle Talon Tsi ?

THANKSI run this mix in both my Legacy and coincidentally, my AWD DSM.

1 qt. Redline shockproof heavy, top it off with Redline MT 90 for the gearboxes. Medium shockproof goes in the diff in the Subaru, heavy in the Talon.

rougeben83
09-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I like to know where the fill hole if on the M/T. My CRX was easy, this one I don't know.

same place where the dipstick goes. Get a long funnel.

4n70n1n0
09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I run this mix in both my Legacy and coincidentally, my AWD DSM.

1 qt. Redline shockproof heavy, top it off with Redline MT 90 for the gearboxes. Medium shockproof goes in the diff in the Subaru, heavy in the Talon.

THANKS! My friend will be very happy to hear that.

OK got it. Sounds like I have some work for over the weekend

(goldfish)
11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I couldn't find the fill hole on my 97 brighton last time I looked. Does anybody have a pic?