PDA

View Full Version : SCCA Autocross: Need your car classed? RIGHT HERE

deadlydave
09-18-2008, 11:24 AM
:grin: Hello again. This thread has one point and one point alone, SCCA autocross (Solo II) classification.

Link to SCCA Rulebook 08: http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%20Rules/2008_Solo_Rules_2.pdf

Post the following, and I will help you figure out where you belong:
Car Year
Car Make
Car Model

Engine Mods
Suspension Mods
Wheels/Tires
If you have removed any interior pieces

If you're anything like me, you modded your car and then decided to autocross. I got screwed because of my hood, for instance.

Mr. Sociable
10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
More on Categories…

CLICK ME (http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%20Rules/solo_categories.pdf)

And:

"Listed below are some common modifications governing the classifications. For all classes, review
the SCCA National Solo Rulebook.

Stock
Legal In Stock
-Cat back exhaust
-Upgraded shocks/struts
-Upgraded spark plugs and wires
-Upgraded brake pads/brake fluid/lines
-OEM airbox filter upgrade (airbox can’t be changed)
-Aftermarket wheels must be OEM size, and offset
-Racing harnesses (except convertibles)
-Dot race tires

Illegal In Stock
-racing seats
-larger wheel than OEM
-aftermarket steering wheels
-cross drilled rotors
-aftermarket air intakes
-aftermarket rear anti-roll bar
-modified computer chips
-lowering springs
-modified throttle body
-aftermarket headers
-modified turbo or boost
-modified cams
-missing interior parts
-ground effect kits
-aftermarket super-charge/
-turbo kits/NOS

Street Prepared
Legal In Street Prepared
-Unrestricted exhaust system
-Upgraded shocks/struts
-Lowering springs
-Camber adjustment plates
-Aftermarket swaybars/links
-Aftermarket ignition control
-Upgraded brake pads/brake fluid/lines
-Aftermarket air intakes/racing seats/Harnesses/steering wheels/shift knobs
-Aftermarket wheel sizes/dot race tires
-Spoilers meeting SCCA requirements
-Intercooler upgrades
-Aftermarket strut bars
-Modified computer chips non boost related
-Unrestricted intake, carburetors or fuel injection

Illegal In Street Prepared
-cross drilled rotors
-aftermarket turbo
-boost control system
-pop off or blow off valves
-gutted interiors
-NOS systems
-carbon fiber hoods
-ram air kits/body mods

Street Touring
Street Touring cars must be 49-state emissions legal, have at least 140 tread wear rated tires, and meet the following restrictions:

STS: Minimum of 4 seats and seatbelts, maximum of 7.5 inch wheels and 225 tires, maximum engine displacement of 3.1 liters without forced induction, no limited slip differential other than OEM viscous type. Some small turbo cars are specifically allowed.

STS2: STS rules, but for two seat cars up to 1.8L, excluding ‘99+ Miata, ‘91+ MR2 and Spyder, or anything that says Lotus! Viscous limited slips only.

STX: Minimum of 4 seats and seatbelts, maximum of 8 inch wheels and 245 tires, engines of up to 5.1L normally aspirated or 2.0L single turbo or supercharger. 2WD cars may use any limited slip, AWD cars must use standard limited slip differentials in axles and center. If an AWD car did not come with any limited slip differential (including center), one aftermarket limited slip may be added. Some performance 4 seat cars specifically excluded.

STU: Displacement limits? We don’t need to stinkin’ displacement limits. Unless you have a turbo, of course, then the limit is 3.1L. Tires limited to 275 for 2WD, 245 for AWD. No wheel width limit. Otherwise, STU follows STX rules.

Legal In Street Touring
-EPA legal exhaust header
-Cat back exhaust system
-Upgraded shocks/struts
-Camber plates/kits
-Aftermarket sway bars/mounting
-Strut bars, upper and lower
-Drilled and/or slotted brake rotors (OEM diameter in STS, larger in STX/U)
-Upgraded brake pads / fluid / lines (DOT)
-Aftermarket wheels
-Ground effect kits (over stock fenders)
-Intake systems up to stock engine inlet (OEM throttle body or turbo inlet)
-Pedal kits
-Fully upholstered seats, not lower than driver’s head
-Non-metallic alternate suspension bushings
-Shifter kits
-Alignment specs are free

Illegal In Street Touring
-removal of catalytic converter
-body structure mods for air intakes
-engine displacement changes
-removal of emission controls
-cars not registered for street
-NOS systems
-fender flares or wheel well mods

Street Modified
So you don’t like rules? You’ve come to the right place! Of course, there are a FEW rules…

SM: Minimum of 4 seats and seatbelts. Up to 6.0L displacement, with minimum weight depending on engine size and intake. Some cars specifically excluded.

SM2: All 2 seaters, except that Lotus Badge thing, or cars excluded from SP category. Unlimited displacement, minimum weight based on displacement and intake. Cars underweight for SM displacement/weight rules.

All SM and SM2 vehicles must have original road equipment: lights, heaters, wipers, interior and such.

Legal In Street Modified
-Engine swaps, block must be a production unit from the same brand as car
-Suspension components are free, as long as they use stock attachments
-Rear seats may be removed
-Steering components other than original Column
-Subframe connectors
-Suspension bushings
-Any DOT tire, any size
-Twin turbo, nitrous injected, 3 rotor peripheral port, AWD, independent rear suspension Mazda Proteges

Illegal In Street Modified
-Chrysler Hemi Subarus
-Jet turbines
-Anti-gravity systems"

***I give all credit to this work to the Colorado/Continental Divide Solo division, as taken from their 2004 "Newcomers Guide to SoloII"***

Brockley
10-23-2008, 10:32 AM
how about my 84 RX-7 that has a 5.0 Small Block, no other mods except for the fuel pump to make it run...
EMod right?

deadlydave
10-24-2008, 10:29 PM
how about my 84 RX-7 that has a 5.0 Small Block, no other mods except for the fuel pump to make it run...
EMod right?

I'd say you might be in Street Mod 2. We have a swapped wagon that runs in my region as SM, but they have a ton more mods. Also, they have 5 seats instead of 2.

Mr. Sociable
10-27-2008, 03:40 AM
EMod right?

I'd say you might be in Street Mod 2. We have a swapped wagon that runs in my region as SM, but they have a ton more mods. Also, they have 5 seats instead of 2.

The engine isn't a Mazda engine, so he's going up from SM2. Either Emod (I think...) or a prepared class.

Grafton
10-27-2008, 07:47 AM
ground effect kits <- huh no lights on the bottom of your car?

deadlydave
10-27-2008, 08:40 PM
ground effect kits <- huh no lights on the bottom of your car?

No, the original meaning of 'ground effect kits' is 'body kits'. think front lip, side skirts, rear lip.

ShadowGT
11-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Interesting. I was actually considering SCCA, I live fairly close to Houston and I know they do stuff there. Of course, I still need to get some mechanical issues resolved before I start flogging my car.

I wonder, I suppose with my intake system I fall in the street prepared division. But I'm curious if removing my hood scoop block plate is considered as a ram air induction because I'm not using the stock air box but a cold air intake.

But this endeavor will be awhile off. Still need to chase my ECU problems around.

Grafton
11-20-2008, 12:41 PM
how about my car
97 subaru legacy L

all stock execpt snokus delete, lightweight crank pulley and gutted 02 wrx muffler
outback rear sway bar, gt 2 pot fronts 16" snowflakes

nothing removed from the interior

Mr. Sociable
11-20-2008, 06:19 PM
how about my car
97 subaru legacy L

all stock execpt snokus delete, lightweight crank pulley and gutted 02 wrx muffler

Those brakes are going to mess with your classing. Most local regions would probably let it slide and allow you to run in STS. You're technically in SM I believe since they aren't original calipers on your car. I would email your local region and see if they'll let you run in STS.

Grafton
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
how about my car
97 subaru legacy L

Those brakes are going to mess with your classing. Most local regions would probably let it slide and allow you to run in STS. You're technically in SM I believe since they aren't original calipers on your car. I would email your local region and see if they'll let you run in STS.
really the breakes giving the most trouble, i figured the sway bar would be the most trouble...

StatGSR
11-20-2008, 10:38 PM
well looks like my integra will never be a competative auto crosser haha

Mr. Sociable
11-21-2008, 12:34 PM
how about my car
97 subaru legacy L

really the breakes giving the most trouble, i figured the sway bar would be the most trouble...

Your brakes wouldn't be a problem if you had a GT to begin with. I know you can completely update your car to GT specs, but it has to be EVERYTHING, which is tons of work. Since the GT was offered with those brakes, your local region should let that slide, you'll just have to ask. I'm not sure on updating just one part, but I don't think it's allowed. Swaybars are a pretty common item in auto-x racing. :smt023

Huffer
11-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Car Year Make Model: 1998 Subaru Legacy GT wagon AWD 2.5L
Engine Mods: Lightweight crank pulley, headers, catback exhaust, 96 GT factory intake, snorkusectomy.
Suspension Mods: lowering springs, KYB GR2 struts (OEM spec), 22mm RSB, front and rear strut braces, Hawk HPS pads (front)
Wheels/Tires: 16x7 205/55/16 Kumho Ecsta (OEM size and offset...for an Impreza RS)

Full interior, factory front seats swapped for 06 STI fronts, 02 WRX steering wheel w/ SRS airbag.
Short shifter

My guess is Street Prepared.

Mr. Sociable
11-21-2008, 01:02 PM
EDIT:

Huffer -

You're completely fine in STS except for this rule:

D. Alternate steering wheels are allowed except that steering
wheels with an integral airbag may not be changed.

I'm not sure what "integral airbag" means, but if it means what I think it does then you're F-ed. I would say that as long as the airbag in the WRX wheel still works and it looks good you should be fine.

Huffer
11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Nice. yep the SRS airbag in the WRX wheel is the same as the one in the stock wheel. Should look very stock.

Plays_with_Toys
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
1996 Subaru Legacy L 2.2l w/5spd manual

Engine mods: snorkus delete, neon coilpack, lightweight crank pulley, grounding straps, catback exhaust
Suspension mods: eibach pro kit springs, KYB GR2 shocks, subaru outback 18mm rear sway bar (stock is a 14mm)
Wheels/tires: 16x6.5" 2.5RS wheels (stock is 14"), 205/55/16 Falken Ziex 512's

No visual exterior/interior modifications besides JDM lighting and grill.

Mr. Sociable
11-21-2008, 08:44 PM
1996 Subaru Legacy L 2.2l w/5spd manual

Engine mods: snorkus delete, neon coilpack, lightweight crank pulley, grounding straps, catback exhaust
Suspension mods: eibach pro kit springs, KYB GR2 shocks, subaru outback 18mm rear sway bar (stock is a 14mm)
Wheels/tires: 16x6.5" 2.5RS wheels (stock is 14"), 205/55/16 Falken Ziex 512's

No visual exterior/interior modifications besides JDM lighting and grill.

Other than having no idea what a neon coilpack or grounding straps are, you're in STS. I also know for a fact that if those provide no significant gains, the STS guys should be fine with letting you run locally here in CO.

Plays_with_Toys
11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Have you ran STS in colorado? If so, what's the competition like? As for the neon coil pack, it's simply that. A dodge neon coil pack rated at 34,000volts compared to the 28,000 volts stock on the legacy. It's just a step down from an MSD ignition coil at 35,000 volts. But no. No appreciable difference besides being slightly more peppy and alot more smooth. The grounding straps/grounding kit was a debated item for a while. SCCA never really clarified if it was a class changing mod. That was a year or 2 ago, wasn't sure if the ruling had been made yet.

Mr. Sociable
11-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Then you'll be fine running in STS. I've never run in that class myself, I've met a guy named Mark who runs in a 2.2 Impreza and there's some dude in a newer 2.5i too. Otherwise, it's full of pretty damn well prepped civics mostly and it's a fast class. I know in X class there was a fast as f*ck STS civic too. If you're a decent driver, you'll do ok.

evolegacy
02-07-2009, 03:34 PM
ok this has me curious about mine, so let me toss my 2 cents in and find out what class I would be part of.....

Subaru
Legacy GT

Engine
8mm Spark Plug Wires
Weapon-R dragon Intake
Custom 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust system
2.5L UEL Headers

Suspension
Totally Stock

Wheels & Tires
OEM 98' GT wheels
Goodyear Eagle RS-A 205/55R16 91H

Interior
A-Pillar Gauge pod
Volt Gauge
EGT Gauge
AFR Gauge
3.5" Tachometer

OK thats what I have so far, if you could give me the classification for that setup that would be cool, if you want to classify what im about to post you can do that too. I am going to post the future mods that I plan for the car and hope to get done before the meet this year.

Engine
Hyper Ground Wire Kit
Nology Spark Plug Wires
Nology Spark Plugs
APEXi SAFC NEO
MSD Ignition Coil (8239)
W-R Secret Weapon Intake System
W-R Cold Air Box
Group-A throttle Body Spacer
Group-A Pitch Mount
Group-A Lightweight 2 pully kit
EJ25 Stage I DOHC Camshafts
Spring/Retainer Kit DOHC

Rotors & Pads
Power Slot Front and Rear Slotted Rotors
EBC Red Stuff Pads (Front)
EBC Red Stuff Pads (Rear)

Suspension
Cusco front Strut Tower Bar Type OS
Cusco Rear Strut Tower Bar Type OS
Cusco Rear Lower Arm Bar
Perrin Rear Adjustable Sway Bar Kit
Perrin Front End Link kit
Perrin Rear End Link Kit
STi Sport Lateral Link Set 6-pc
KYB GR2 Struts

Exhaust System
OBX Impreza 2.5RS EL Headers
Stromung Hi-Flo Cat Pipe
Stromung Cat-Back Pipe/Muffler

Surprisingly all of this is only going to run me a little over $6,500, but its because i want to keep this build strictly N/A, afterall, N/A is better than turbo HAHAHA.

jey
02-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Header will put you into STS.

The proposed mods look allowed in STS except camshafts - I think that bumps you to a higher class.

Mr. Sociable
02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
^ Bingo. I'd look into the spring/retainer kit as well.

Otherwise it looks like a well sorted STS car suspension wise.

evolegacy
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
ya im going to add that kit in along with the cams when i get around to picking them up

Mr. Sociable
02-11-2009, 02:09 PM
ya im going to add that kit in along with the cams when i get around to picking them up

I meant that the kit (as well as the cams) will bump you up into either FSP or SM. I don't know which.

I would skip on the cams/kit and do everything else. You'd have a great local STS car.

deadlydave
02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I meant that the kit (as well as the cams) will bump you up into either FSP or SM. I don't know which.
I would skip on the cams/kit and do everything else. You'd have a great local STS car.

Oh God, if at all possible stay out of SM. I'll go back through the rulebook tonight, is the 09 one out yet? FSP probably wouldn't be too bad. I know locally, there are almost no protests and we kind of 'trust you' to help us class you. If you are slow or hit a lot of cones, nobody will protest anyway. :smt002

evolegacy
02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
lol ok so you think i should skip the cams then? hm...well, it is pricey, main reason i was getting them was for added HP for the drag.

deadlydave
02-12-2009, 09:07 AM
lol ok so you think i should skip the cams then? hm...well, it is pricey, main reason i was getting them was for added HP for the drag.

Ultimately it's about what you want to do with the car. If you want more power, totally go for it and have fun at autocross. If you want to win or trophy in a class, you have to mod a car to the maximum allowable for a class, and SM is very expensive. So, if you're just doing it for fun, to push your car, I say mod the crap out of your car and class be damned. If you're a competitive person and really want to do well, then you might wanna mod towards a particular class. :twisted:

Brockley
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I run XP now... lol

2.5GT
05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I would also like to know where I fit in :eek:

Car Year: 1998
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: Legacy

Engine Mods: Injen short ram, ground wires, header + exhaust, stock cats.
Suspension Mods: H&R springs/ KYB struts
Wheels/Tires: BBS 17X7.5/ 215/45R17 Fuzion ZRI

Note: Will be using a harness without rollcage.

jey
05-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I would also like to know where I fit in :eek:

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Legacy

Engine Mods: Injen short ram, ground wires, header + exhaust, stock cats.
Suspension Mods: H&R springs/ KYB struts
Wheels/Tires: BBS 17X7.5/ 215/45R17 Fuzion ZRI

Note: Will be using a harness without rollcage.

STS

Bookem
05-11-2009, 10:56 PM
98LGT

Ej20g swap
chipped z4 ecu
blitz blow off
halman boost control
hks catless downpipe
3" apex-i
w190 fuel pump

kyb gr2 stuts h&r springs
rear sway
front strut bar
modified stock crossmember to clear up pipe

stock brakes
stock tires

full interior
short shifter

I'm guessing my wheels 17x7.5 and tires 225/40/17, wouldn't bump me up any?

birukun
05-12-2009, 01:45 AM
I want to see pics of a Chrysler Hemi stuffed in a Subaru.....

jey
05-12-2009, 01:45 PM
98LGT

Ej20g swap
chipped z4 ecu
blitz blow off
halman boost control
hks catless downpipe
3" apex-i
w190 fuel pump

kyb gr2 stuts h&r springs
rear sway
front strut bar
modified stock crossmember to clear up pipe

stock brakes
stock tires

full interior
short shifter

I'm guessing my wheels 17x7.5 and tires 225/40/17, wouldn't bump me up any?

SM

Yamazaki
05-17-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm in the middle of petitioning to have my car (S401) shipped back to the US to join my other two. I would also like to AutoX it when I get back (as I have the other two), but I have no idea what class it'd be in. It's a completely factory S401. I'm guessing B-Stock, but I honestly have no idea.

jey
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm in the middle of petitioning to have my car (S401) shipped back to the US to join my other two. I would also like to AutoX it when I get back (as I have the other two), but I have no idea what class it'd be in. It's a completely factory S401. I'm guessing B-Stock, but I honestly have no idea.

Cars that are not sold through US dealer networks can not run in Stock or Street Prepared classes. You may have to run Street Mod?

Mr. Sociable
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM

Cars that are not sold through US dealer networks can not run in Stock or Street Prepared classes. You may have to run Street Mod?

That's what my local class has done. We have an Evo V and a R33 that run SM.

95USsubaru
07-15-2009, 05:19 PM
this one is kinda obvious but might as well ask.

BD
L

completely stock.

and if u guys know anything about NJ rallycross. let me know cause i cant find a thing

gryffinwings
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm curious:

Here's my setup on my 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon

Engine:
Stock Intake (to be Modified) with K&N Filter
Light Weight Crank Pulley
Light Weight Alternator Pulley
Borla Replica Headers
High Flow Cat Pipe
2.5" Catback Exhaust
Oil Catch Can

Tranny:
2000 Impreza RS Transmission
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch kit

Suspension:
JDM Subaru Legacy GT-B Bilstein Struts and Shocks
Whiteline Control Springs

Wheels:
Konig Runaway 17" x 8" +46 (Stock is 16" x 6.5" +48)
Falken Ziex 912 225/55-17 (To be changed to Sumitomo HTRZ III 225/45-17) (Stock is 225/60-16)

Brakes:
Slotted and crossdrilled rotors
Stainless steel braided lines
Centric Semi-metallic pads
Valvoline Dot4 Brake Fluid

Exterior:
Carbon Fiber Hood

jey
07-16-2009, 10:18 AM
this one is kinda obvious but might as well ask.

BD
L

completely stock.

H Stock

jey
07-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm curious:

Engine:
Borla Replica Headers
High Flow Cat Pipe
2.5" Catback Exhaust
Oil Catch Can

Tranny:
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch kit

Suspension:

Wheels:
Falken Ziex 912 225/55-17 (To be changed to Sumitomo HTRZ III 225/45-17) (Stock is 225/60-16)

Brakes:

Exterior:
Carbon Fiber Hood

Carbon fiber hood takes you straight to Street Mod.

gryffinwings
07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm curious:

Engine:
Borla Replica Headers
High Flow Cat Pipe
2.5" Catback Exhaust
Oil Catch Can

Tranny:
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch kit

Suspension:

Wheels:

Brakes:

Exterior:
Carbon Fiber Hood

What I take that off and put on a stock one?

jey
07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm curious:

Engine:
Borla Replica Headers
High Flow Cat Pipe
2.5" Catback Exhaust
Oil Catch Can

Tranny:
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch kit

Suspension:

Wheels:

Brakes:

Exterior:
Carbon Fiber Hood

What I take that off and put on a stock one?

Flywheel and clutch will bump you to FSP technically. Everything else is allowed in STS - it's hard to imagine someone at the local level protesting your class over a flywheel and clutch. It's not like it's as obvious as a hood - heck some local people are laid back enough that they probably won't care about the hood either.

ScaryFatKidGT
03-09-2010, 04:13 AM
1998 Subaru legacy GT

Group-A pulleys
Group-A pitch mount
Brakes, pads, lines, fluid, new OEM sized rotors

First why are 2.5 RS's in G stock but LGT's are in H-Stock?....
Second the SS lines take me out of Stock right? I think I would be in ST
Can the sig lighter ash try stuff like that be removed?
I know my Group-A pitch mount puts me out of ST so I'm going to replace it with a Group-N one.
04 STi rims with 225 tires would be perfect for ST right?
If I red correctly I could have Borla knock of headers with just about any cat-back BUT cats have to be stock? :(

Thanks

Baddog
03-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Car Year: 1996
Car Model: Legacy L

Engine Mods: Hybrid intake (stock airbox ebay intake tubing), 2.25 Catback, MSD Coil Pack, Grounding mod.
Suspension Mods: 04 WRX Strut/Springs, 25mm tribeca front sway, 22mm rallitek rear.
Wheels/Tires: 16" WRX Rims with Conti DWS's.
If you have removed any interior pieces: None

Also I am doing an 04 WRX brake swap. WRX Front and Rear Calipers with H6 caliper brackets and rotors.

drtylggy
02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Car year: 2004
Car make: Subaru
Car Model: Legacy 35th Ann.
Engine Mods: Rallitek spark plug wiring
Drop in K&N air filter

Well that's it lol

evolegacy
05-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I wanna know what class ill be after I finish mods so here it goes:

99 Legacy GT sedan