PDA

View Full Version : trans. question

jlk2.5gt
10-14-2005, 07:34 PM
i just bought a 1990 legacy for my wimter ride. it was
a decent price. it is a 5 speed and it seems to have trouble disengaging. like when shifting from first to second, and second to third,
also the same when downshifting from fourth, to third, and third
to second. i was told it just had a new clutch installed. the free play
seemes normal, and the pedal is firm, i was thinking the master, or
slave cyl. but dont really see one??? anyone have any ideas?

BAC5.2
11-24-2005, 11:58 PM
What is it doing, that it has trouble disengaging?

I've seen more than once that the clutch does not disengage completely when you push in the clutch.

Since it's a 90, it is N/A and uses a cable style push clutch, right?

When was the transmission fluid last replaced? 9/10 of shifting problems come from old, or simply BAD fluid. Replace that, and then go from there.

EXP1787
11-25-2005, 02:23 PM
You don't see a master or slave cylinder because they aren't there. Its a cable style clutch. Perhaps the shop or person that installed the old clutch didn't readjust the cable.

BAC5.2
11-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Woah, a SHO owner! I almost bought a 95 MTX before my Legacy!!!!

I know a little about them. My neighbor is a SHO expert, and started Capital-SHO. Your on SHO Forum? His gen3 is probably the cleanest you'll ever see. Quick, clean, and handles well too. Talk about gangster.

EXP1787
11-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Woah, a SHO owner! I almost bought a 95 MTX before my Legacy!!!!

I know a little about them. My neighbor is a SHO expert, and started Capital-SHO. Your on SHO Forum? His gen3 is probably the cleanest you'll ever see. Quick, clean, and handles well too. Talk about gangster.
Mine will probably be gone by the end of the week. Clutchmaster's Stage I clutch kit, Walbro 190lph fuel pump, K&N, Magnaflow cat-back. Mine has 181k miles and runs very strong. Tan leather, power everything. Car is for sale on SHOForum @ $1900.

[/hijack]