PDA

View Full Version : My Ebay Intake = Success!

anothernord
10-05-2008, 04:34 PM
So after a long process of tweaking the setup and reading the Sli forums, I finally finished my intake. Not only does it sound wicked, but there is a very noticeable increase in torque and throttle response.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/11/IMG_2651-1.jpg
You can't really see this in the picture, but I used some steel bailing wire to tie the whole assembly to the mounts of the stock airbox to keep the whole thing from flying around inside the engine compartment.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/10/IMG_2652-1.jpg

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/10/IMG_2654-1.jpg
Following the advice of Plays_with_Toys's Ebay intake writeup, I drilled a hole in the big rubber coupling, then used a threaded nylon fitting with a brass nut attached to a 90 degree coupling for the main Idle Air Bypass hose. I used a 1/2 inch "T" coupling for the cylinder head hoses and the fourth hose i just replaced with the one from the Ebay intake kit.

The MAF adapter was bought at a local auto parts store and I simply drilled new holes to match with the MAF.

Also, I had to unscrew my alarm speaker and push it up to allow the pipe to have the correct angle.

SBsuby
10-17-2008, 02:47 PM
!!

Huffer
10-17-2008, 03:00 PM
DUDE!!! tell me where i can get one of those! i have been trying and trying to find an intake to go in my car, i have a 96 legacy wagon 2.2l. please help me out man.

It's an EBAY intake. Gee, where do I find an EBAY intake?

You've been here all of 5 mins and you've already pissed me off by posting three times and asking questions that have already been asked.

I'm regretting inviting you over from RS25.com already.

SBsuby
10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
why are you such a dick to me man? why dont you explain things to me, i obviously just dont know how this stuff works. im just starting out. jeez the weez

xXGTBspecXx
10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
well Ebay was in the title.. maybe do some research before asking questions that you can most likely answer yourself.

Huffer
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
why are you such a dick to me man? why dont you explain things to me, i obviously just dont know how this stuff works. im just starting out. jeez the weez

You know how to post - therefore you know to LOOK AROUND before you post.

There. Things have been explained to you. Enjoy your reading - when you have a genuine question that cannot be answered by looking around for the answer (surely they teach kids how to use libraries these days?) then feel free to post your questions up.

BTW - I'm a dick to everyone who doesn't use common sense and/or fails to follow some simple rules. :wink:

SBsuby
10-17-2008, 03:32 PM
whatever man, sorry. it probly makes you feel good picking on 16 year olds.

Huffer
10-17-2008, 04:13 PM
whatever man, sorry. it probly makes you feel good picking on 16 year olds.

Oh please. Take your whiner party somewhere else.
You want advice? Look around - it's allover this forum.

xXGTBspecXx
10-17-2008, 05:17 PM
im 18 no one has picked on me... just look around this place is full of good write-ups.

Huffer
10-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I think we got this sorted out over on RS25.com. Kid just has fingers that are quicker than his mind.

xXGTBspecXx
10-17-2008, 06:01 PM
gotcha... il be doing another intake setup when i get my motor back in the car. is it a good idea to run the factory air box with tubing running after maf to the TB ?

liquidracing
10-17-2008, 06:26 PM
gotcha... il be doing another intake setup when i get my motor back in the car. is it a good idea to run the factory air box with tubing running after maf to the TB ?

yes! i saw no low-end improvement in using the "cone". i did, however, find that if you just switch over to the ebay intake and use any "cone", your off-the-line throttle response, if any, will suck ass! when i hammeron from a dead stop, or, even an rpm less than 2500, i got this whompwhompwhomp reaction from the engine--------me thinks lean mis-fire------ :-?

beyond that, huffer sounded like the rest of us with children, trying to explain the most simplest of details :grin: i love kids, they piss me off :twisted:

anothernord
10-17-2008, 09:01 PM

yes! i saw no low-end improvement in using the "cone". i did, however, find that if you just switch over to the ebay intake and use any "cone", your off-the-line throttle response, if any, will suck ass! when i hammeron from a dead stop, or, even an rpm less than 2500, i got this whompwhompwhomp reaction from the engine--------me thinks lean mis-fire------ :-?

beyond that, huffer sounded like the rest of us with children, trying to explain the most simplest of details :grin: i love kids, they piss me off :twisted:

Yeah, over on NASOIC, there was a gigantic thread on the ebay intake with a cone vs going into the stock airbox. The whole mess revolves around the MAF getting crazy readings at WOT less than about 1500 rpm when the intake silencer isn't installed, and dumping too much fuel into the engine.

Here's the thread:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1471819 (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819)

I actually tried the intake with just the stock airbox installed, but there wasn't enough noise for me, and since I never floor the car at less than 2000 rpm, I haven't had any problems with the cone filter at all.

liquidracing
10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
anothernord, that is EXACTLY what i have been having happen to me. i'm going to get another stock airbox for my wotec compressor, so i'll just get two so i can use one with the snorkel. i almost got hit two weekends ago because my car got that odd a/f voltage index in the middle of an intersection as i went wot and the car hesitated, like i was trying to describe earlier. so, where i thought a lean mis-fire, was actually a serious over-rich signal due to air "coolness" not air "flow"....weird, but, very plausible. good enough for me to make adjustments.

anothernord
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Yes, I would probably recommend using the snorkus; the sound without it is fun, but there will always be some time when you need the power.

jmgtp
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
I may have one of these in my future! My stock setup managed to anger me this weekend... I hit a few potholes on a trip in Boston and the car developed a nasty rattle that sounded like it was inside the passenger door. I searched everywhere and finally went under the hood to find that the plastic 'box' in the array of funky tubes and shapes in the stock intake system had come apart and the pieces we're rattling against each other! I have to say the factory intake is a loose fitting piece of junk until it gets to the airbox. I do want to keep the piece of mind that comes with the airbox and paper filter. Theres no doubt it traps more dirt than a cotton filter, the difference may be negligible but I'm not in it for power gains. I think I might try to fit an ebay intake in place of the plastic tubes though and maybe lead it into the factory air pickup.