PDA

View Full Version : GPS Units

Huffer
10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Ok, so I know this isn't strictly a "tool" but I wanted to know what GPS units people were using and what they liked about them.

I am currently considering a Garmin Nuvi 750 v9 (2008 model). It has an easy snap-on window mount, appears to have pretty nice functions, can be used off-road, and has a fun media player built into it.

Cons - apparently it loses signal and doesn't recalculate routes very fast... I am more interested in a good GPS mapper so that I don't have to keep printing out google maps and killing trees.

2.5GT
10-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I just recently bought the Garmin Nuvi ..forgot what model number.
And so far so good, I went on 2 trips without any problems.

Although, the other day I wanted to go to wal-mart. I searched for the nearest wal-mart and the GPS took me to a baseball field? wtf? It was weird :lol:

Edit: Its a garmin nuvi 260w.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/4A-FE/Subaru%20Legacy/IMG_2544-1.jpg

)2edline
10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I had Garmin Nuvi 200, and now a 205 after the last one got stolen. I'm using a vent mount and it works pretty nice. no problems everrrr

SilentRacer
10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Using a MIO 310x. Does what it is suppose to but doesn't hold battery power very well when not plugged into the car.

ivwarrior
10-13-2008, 08:16 PM
I've got a (now discontinued) Street Pilot, and the wife has a Nuvi of some model. Both Garmins work fairly well. What I don't like about the Street Pilot (and haven't checked the Nuvi to see if it's the same) is you can only have 1 stop other than your finish in a route. So, if I need to try and optimize a route of 5 stops, it's basically useless. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. The maps aren't perfect (and no map/mapping software is and probably never will be) but they're not bad. Mine are a few years old, and I'm trying to decide now if I want to upgrade the maps on the Street Pilot, or if I just want to upgrade to a Nuvi. Probably just get the newer maps, as that should be a bit cheaper and I really don't have any real complaints other than the above mentioned one, with the Street Pilot.

decke48
10-13-2008, 08:43 PM
i use a MIO 320/350. it gets you were every you want to go. recalucates fast. does take some time for it to pick up signal sometimes and like silentracer. MIO dont hold battery power for long

rougeben83
10-13-2008, 09:47 PM
navigon 200 or something like that. $100 at staples on black friday. Came with free traffic alerts. Been very handy because I get lost a lot :lol:

kirbyy
08-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Using a MIO 310x. Does what it is suppose to but doesn't hold battery power very well when not plugged into the car.

Hehe, you know your mio can run Garmin maps and software right? :P

I run a Garmin Nuvi 200 with free lifetime maps <3! Works everywhere so far..even modified a custom antenna for it!

I do plan on upgrading real soon though..the NUVI is very limited software wise..and since its so propiterary not much fun can be had.

geckoboy86
08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
in the next month ill have a GPS unit using my iphone. Im still debating on which company to go with navigon is the second cheapest but looks the best. Im debating if i want to wait for tomtom's app (should be out soon).

Okin DaVanh
08-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Magellan Maestro... No Media Player on this model, but it does work pretty good and the battery time is reasonable when fully charged.

Soul Shinobi
11-07-2009, 06:08 PM
The new Google Android based phones will have Google GPS provided free. Garmin's stock fell 20% when news broke.

j_saffron
11-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Magellan Maestro... same here!

Huffer
11-07-2009, 11:55 PM
The new Google Android based phones will have Google GPS provided free. Garmin's stock fell 20% when news broke.

that's pretty funny. I recently got an iPhone and it came with the google maps app built in. So the iPhone + Arkon mount is my in car gps. :)

Grafton
11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
i have a tomtom one 3rd edition, its ok, i like it because it runs a Linux distro and i can run independent apps on it

grt3
01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
i have a mio 220. While not super high tech. It gets the job done. My only gripe is that sometimes it takes awhile to start up.

,Trey

mike-tracy
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I've got a (now discontinued) Street Pilot, and the wife has a Nuvi of some model. Both Garmins work fairly well. What I don't like about the Street Pilot (and haven't checked the Nuvi to see if it's the same) is you can only have 1 stop other than your finish in a route. So, if I need to try and optimize a route of 5 stops, it's basically useless.

That's a shame, since I bought my Streetpilot 2610 for that reason in 2005. It worked great for a delivery job I had, prioritizing address by distance. Reception sucks compared to my phone's built in GPS, but with the external antenna the Streetpilot is unstoppable. I've updated the maps 2x since I bought it, and I'm guessing that Garmin is going to stop making maps for mine (it takes the non-"NT" maps).

OP: What iphone did you get, the 3G or 3GS? If you got the 3G, then you could get a product like this that includes a real GPS chip:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/28/mage ... -coming-n/ (http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/28/magellans-gps-car-kit-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch-130-coming-n/)
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/tomt ... ne-review/ (http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/tomtom-car-kit-for-iphone-review/)
(there are a few more competing solutions)

My thoughts are that while the add-on Iphone solutions are as expensive as some GPS units, less devices in the car are better, plus you just stuff your Iphone/gps into your pocket when you are done driving.

I was on a Mt. St. Helens drive with Nasioc members when the organizer's phone lost reception (and hence GPS navigation since it wasn't a real GPS solution). For some reason this leader let someone else who had been up the mountain before lead, and this person subsequently took a corner too fast and rolled. The phone used for navigation? Iphone w/o gps add-on hardware.