PDA

View Full Version : L Sedan getting GT brake conversion...

badbasser98
04-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know if the master cylinder will need to be replaced to go from disk in front and drum in rear, to larger disks in front and disks in rear? Or any suggestions on this at all would be appreciated.

thanx,
-matt

gator gt
04-29-2005, 02:03 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no. And just as a reference, Vol 1, #3 of SubieSport Magazine mentions nothing of changing the MC as they remove their Impreza drums and install RS discs in the rear.

I'm going to be putting on WRX rotors (and FHI 4pots) up front in the near future and have no plans to upgrade the MC.

In fact I have a friend in the south, Mississippi, with a GT wagon, and he's got the same brake setup I'm going for (already have the 05 LGT rears) and the FHI 4pot fronts....he has mentioned no change on MC.

Swap and stop better, my friend....swap and stop!

GGT

badbasser98
04-30-2005, 09:33 PM
I found out that the MC does not need to be changed, however... The rear hub assembly would need to be changed due to the fact that the hub assembly for drums is a four bolt, and the hub for disks is five bolts. Plus the mounting plate for the calipers also needs to be added... So we are talking a few dollars there for this conversion. So due to the fact of how much money that would need to be spent there, and to get my car painted and fix the rust spot. I have decided (99% sure) that I am going to trade for a 2002 2.5GT. So if any of you know of some killer mods for that gen. leggy, please let me know about them.

thanx,
-Matt

gator gt
04-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Well, you'll be starting off with rear discs there, so upgrading to 05 LGT rear setup (same diameter, but vented; my first choice for rear brake upgrade) will be a cinch.

Larger rear sway is always one to tackle first. Along with tires.

I'm guessing next would be struts and springs.....but since that design has different rears than any other subaru, its a little tougher....although since I don't own one, I haven't looked into it deeply enough.

Next step I'd take is upgrading the front brakes. Search the forums here, for brake threads, I've discussed a number of options with different folks. The biggest thing to look out for is wheel fitment over the brakes you're looking at.

As for looks, Fibuz is your man in the dept. While I'm not a huge fan on the BE/BH design, Fi takes that design and adds some class to his mods. I can't recall, but if Omahasubaru (from NASIOC) is on these boards too, he's another good one for BE/BH mods.

Same philosophy, different avenues.

Good luck and keep us posted!

GGT