PDA

View Full Version : Took GT Wagon to dealer for brakes, came home in new car !

GT Wagon
10-20-2005, 12:31 AM
So I took my wagon in this morning for a simple "change rotors & pads". I left driving this.....

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/286/groupground8hu.jpg

And I come home driving this.....

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/4771/red065lj.jpg

Did I buy it ? No ! I dropped my car off this morning along with the rotors & pads in the trunk. Work order clearly stated "Install customer supplied rotors & pads". I return to the dealer after work and pay for my bill..... they bring my car around. I go to throw my briefcase in the trunk and decide to check out the old pads which I had asked to be returned. They're still going to make a good "spare set" just in case something happens. I was curious to see just how much pad was left on them. Glad I decided to look before I left.

Well imagine my surprise when I see brand new pads sitting in the box. Turns out the tech somehow "forgot" to install my new pads and reinstalled the old pads on new rotors. Needless to say I am not impressed. Since it was after 5 he was gone so I demanded a loaner car as I wasn't going to take mine home and bringn it back early before work again.

They brought around a shiny nice loaner in bright red. Being a loaner its an auto-box but that's life. The car had a mere 30km when I sat behind the wheel. I must be the first person to drive it after the PDI and car wash. Gearbox aside, it was an interesting drive home as I put the car through its paces to see how it compares to the Legacy. I was glad to see the motor doesn't feel much stronger than mine but it does seem to accelerate a little better on the highway. Its also probably still 200lbs lighter than the Legacy. The brakes suck, there's no initial grip to them at all. Quite possibly , its because there's only 30km on the car and the pads have not been properly bedded in. The OEM tires are the crap, hard braking locks them up before the ABS kicks in.

We'll see if they get it right tomorow.I'm sure the tech will be plenty embarrassed. I did notice a bit of a wierd mark on one of the rotors. I'm guessing its from the old pads that are not evenly worn. I don't think it will have any permanent effect on the rotors as its probably only been driven around the block.

galek_98gt
10-20-2005, 04:02 AM
wow a dealer mechanic forgetting to do the job properly. i'm not surprised. so would it be worth it to upgrade to the latest in sooby pride?

phi11
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
I once had a loaner,
But i was fooling around and hit a sign (lol A SIGN!)
It was a FOCUS, ( boy did I beat the sh!7 out of that car, I think I had it for two weeks!)
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLED IT!

(It's a 2.5, right?)

Wiscon_Mark
10-20-2005, 06:41 PM
yeah, they only make the 2.5 for the imprezas now. 2.2L was (sadly) discontinued in 02 :(

GT Wagon
10-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Well I have the Legacy back in the driveway. As much as I'm glad to have it back I must say having a brand new car for 24 hours will spoil you somewhat. The Impreza is certainly the quicker car, the motor is a little more smooth and driving around in my cramped underground parking I noticed it has a lot more turns to the steering wheel to get to lock.

Without beating on the brakes I can say the Legacy sure feels like it will stop better. I jabbed at the binders a few times for a short moment. I'll have to wait a good week or two worth of driving before really getting hard on the brakes as they're now new all around.

One thing I hated about the Impreza, the headrests. They lean forwards and drove me nuts no matter how high/low I adjusted them.

RABID_SUB
11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
that van is still in front of that trailer. no wonder construction takes so long. :P