PDA

View Full Version : So you want to start autocrossing? READ THIS FIRST!!!

Mr. Sociable
10-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Ok, if you're reading this... I'm going to assume you have an interest in starting autocrossing. This is great! The admitting you would like to get addicted to something is your first step towards that goal!

About me: I'm in no way a professional racer, heck, I'm not even that great of a driver. I am, however, a weekend autocrosser who's addicted to the sport. I'd like to get more people involved, using all the research I've done and the experiences I've had autocrossing.

This thread is NOT intended to tell you how to drive your car, what car is best, etc. It's simply to answer some questions I know I had when I was first starting autocrossing not that long ago.

First, lets answer a few questions:

What is SCCA Solo II?

"Solo II, also known as “autocross”, is a controlled, safe way for drivers to test themselves and their car’s abilities at the performance limits! Excellent driving skills and car control are rewarded over outright top speed. The object is to drive as fast as possible through a different-every-event twisting course marked with cones and flour. Drivers get at least 3 runs (sometimes 4 at local events) on the course, with the fastest time counting for finishing position. There is no door-to-door racing (hence the “Solo” designation), thereby minimizing the risk of vehicle damage and allowing competitors to concentrate on their driving. It’s tons o’ fun!"
***I give all credit to this paragraph to the Colorado/Continental Divide Solo division, as taken from their 2004 "Newcomers Guide to SoloII"***

How do I start autocrossing?
This is probably the easiest step! Do you have something with four wheels and an engine that's safe to drive? If yes, you can probably go autocrossing!

You don't even need to be a member of the SCCA. Weekend memberships are available at the registration table. At my local events, a weekend membership is $15, and a day of autocrossing is $30. Membership options are avaliable HERE (http://www.rmsolo.org/membershipoptions.pdf)

Sign-up for the event usually occurs online on your local region's website. On their website, more information about their specific events/rules/classes/etc. is available. Don't know what region you're in? No problem! Click THIS (http://www.scca.org/divisions.aspx) link for more info!

Many of the local regions will also have more "beginner tips" on their site's, check these out too! Autocrossers are notoriously helpful as long as you ask!

How do I decide what class to register my car in?
Well...

CLICK ME FOR SCCA SOLO RULES (http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=61)

That page has everything you could possibly want on it. The most recent rulebook, stock and ST classifications, ProSolo, etc. Make friends with that page, become romantically involved with that page, it's a newcomers best friend.

Also, you can READ our SCCA SoloII classifications thread and after you've read it, post in it. It's avaliable HERE (https://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=129830#129830)

I'm registered for me first event, now what?
First, be excited. How many people get to race cars on the weekend? :cool:

Second, follow these general guidelines:
"PRE-PREP. (Before leaving home)

Clean your car out thoroughly, this includes glove boxes and pockets.

Your car will need to pass a TECH (Safety) inspection before you can compete. Your battery must be properly secured (not sliding around in its tray), all tires must have a measurable amount of tread(no cord showing) and the car must not be leaking fluids. These are just a few of the items checked but are among those that can be easily remedied before hand, allowing you a day of fun.

If you have a Helmet bring it. Currently the SCCA requires that all helmets have a SNELL SA95 or M95 or better rating. If you don't have a helmet, don't worry, a few loaners are available.

You will be in the Sun/Rain for the full day, come prepared for it. Comfortable clothes and shoes are a must. The course is usually just under a mile long, and it is suggested that you walk it to get familiar. Bring a pair of shoes you can walk a couple of miles in.

Food is usually available near the sites we frequent, however you will probably want to pack a lunch and plenty of water.

* Highly suggested items include;
* Lunch (of your choice)
* Water and other Liquids (No Alcohol! This includes spectators.)
* Sunscreen (of your choice)
* Sunglasses
* Hat (of your choice)
* Umbrella (good for sun as well as rain)

A DAY WITH THE SCCA

Suggested arrival time at the gate for a first timer is between 6:30 and 7:30Am.

REGISTRATION-
At the gate you should be met by a registration person. If you are not, then proceed to the pit area and from there find the Registration person. Let them know this is your first time out, and they will help you through the Waivers and Registration forms. This is also where you will need to pay for the event. Currently cash and checks are the only valid forms of payment.

After leaving registration you will need to find the pit area and your own pit space. Once in your pit space you need to prepare the car for inspection. Floor mats, hub caps and all loose items must be removed.

TECH. INSPECTION-
Tech inspection is now done while in grid just before your heat runs. That means that your car needs to be in grid one heat before it runs. The first heat drivers need to have their cars in grid as soon as possible in the morning, there will be a grid position list for heat 1 posted when you check in. All other grid lists will be posted during the drivers meeting. Tech inspection will check your car for safety issues, and make sure you have legible numbers on both sides of your car. The numbers and class should be visible from a good distance usually numbers should be a minimum of eight inches tall, and the class letters four to six inches tall.

COURSE WALKS-
Considered by some to be the most important part of the day. The more time you spend walking the course, the better you will drive it when your time comes. For the first timer it can appear to be a "sea of cones" put yourself in your respective car and visualize what it would look like from behind the wheel. The suggested number of course walks varies from "three" to "as many as it takes". When walking the course, watch others and ask lots of questions from those around you. Some suggestions may be from former or current national champions, please listen carefully to the advice you get. If it doesn't make sense ask, "Why". On the other hand, you may be getting advice from a fellow novice, this advice may be the same as what the National Champion would have given, then again it may not. Either way these people are trying to help and are giving "free" advice. Always remember how much you paid for it.

NOVICE WALK THROUGH-
For the first timer, A MUST. Usually meets at 8:00AM at the start line and given by a former National Champion or National Trophy winner. Listen carefully to what these folks have to say. Number one suggestion for the Novice walk through; Try and walk near the front. This makes it easier to hear and see what they are talking about.

DRIVERS MEETING-
Usually scheduled for 8:45, this is required! This is where you will find what RUN/WORK Groups you will be in, and also any other specific information for that particular event. One important person will be pointed out during the drivers meeting this is the "Chief of Workers" keep this person or persons face in mind you will need to contact them for your worker assignment.

RUN/WORK GROUPS-
The event is broken into heats. Usually two to five depending on the number of entrants for the day. You are required to work one heat for each heat you run. The only exception is in the case of you working Registration, Tech. or course design or setup. An example of a run work designation would be. Your class is assigned to Run 1st /Work 3rd This means you will drive in the first heat and Work during the 3rd heat. Worker assignments are usually given during the heat previous to the one you will work. In the case of you working first heat you would locate the Chief of Workers after the drivers meeting.

FUNRUNS-
These are done if there is time after the event. They are done similar to a mini-event - usually two heats, you run one and you work one. The cost is usually a dollar a run."
***I give all credit to this section to the Colorado/Continental Divide Solo division, as taken from their "Preparing for your first solo" webpage, found HERE (http://www.rmsolo.org/prepare.html)***

My final word?

ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!!!!

Everybody I've met at an event has been more than willing to help novices. Ask, ask, ask.

Most importantly...HAVE FUN!

deadlydave
10-24-2008, 10:19 PM
This is absolutely fantastic! STICKY!

Another good idea is to go to one without racing and watch and work.

Soul Shinobi
08-08-2010, 01:34 AM
I feel like I've got a million questions. I don't know if there are a few things that might have changed too in the past two years. I wanted to join the SCCA this spring but was seriously intimidated by the complexity of all this and just forgot about it. Thank you for the writeup, it's a good first step.

I'm under the impression that Solo II (is there a Solo I?) has the only events that don't cost an arm and a leg, which is a prerequisite for me right now. Is Solo II only autocross on level parking lots? What events take place at tracks that a novice can attend? Do they cost an arm, a leg, or both?

What are work groups? What kind of work is done (I assume picking up knocked over cones, setting up and taking down cones)?

Buying a helmet is a big deal for those on a budget, I have a friend who can get Bell gear for about half off. Are there helmets that can double for motorcycle duty? Are there any well known 'bang for your buck' helmets? any features I should look for? I'm aware that the sky's the limit when it comes to spending money on helmets...

I'm sure I've got more but I'll leave it at that for now.

EDIT: Do I need a BC fire extinguisher mounted within the driver's reach? I may do that anyway. Any well known brands or models for that?

Grafton
08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I feel like I've got a million questions. I don't know if there are a few things that might have changed too in the past two years. I wanted to join the SCCA this spring but was seriously intimidated by the complexity of all this and just forgot about it. Thank you for the writeup, it's a good first step.

I'm under the impression that Solo II (is there a Solo I?) has the only events that don't cost an arm and a leg, which is a prerequisite for me right now. Is Solo II only autocross on level parking lots? What events take place at tracks that a novice can attend? Do they cost an arm, a leg, or both?

What are work groups? What kind of work is done (I assume picking up knocked over cones, setting up and taking down cones)?

Buying a helmet is a big deal for those on a budget, I have a friend who can get Bell gear for about half off. Are there helmets that can double for motorcycle duty? Are there any well known 'bang for your buck' helmets? any features I should look for? I'm aware that the sky's the limit when it comes to spending money on helmets...

I'm sure I've got more but I'll leave it at that for now.

EDIT: Do I need a BC fire extinguisher mounted within the driver's reach? I may do that anyway. Any well known brands or models for that?

solo II (solo I dunno) is mostly on level parking lots i would assume
days @ a track are around ~200 or more, autox 20_50 depends on local area & if scca member

first one i went to there were 2 groups driving & working before lunch you worked and drove and worked after lunch
(working is such a strong word for what you have to do)

if you only go twice a year don't buy a helmet but if you go all season get one, just make sure you get what they require in the rules

no fire extinguisher needed in most classes I believe

jey
08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Yes when you work the course you just set up the knocked over cones but you do have to be quite alert for safety reasons (cars running through the course as you do your job) and you do have to radio in the knocked over cones correctly so the penalties are assessed.

I bought a basic helmet when I started autocrossing and I've been using it ever since. I have not found any need to get anything fancier (full-face, etc.)