PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Car = Needing New Internals

budbrown
10-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I need to find engine internals for my '97 2.5L DOHC EJ25.

I'm really gonna have to replace everything pretty much... pistons, rods, crank, cams, valves, head, that should be enough to push 20psi, right?

Any one have any good places for internal parts for my engine? Do the 2.5L sti internals fit?

thanks in advance! :D

Wiscon_Mark
10-23-2005, 05:02 PM
considered getting a turbo motor with good internals instead? I think it might be cheaper.

I don't know if there are any shops nearby you that build up engines, but if you can find out, you might be able to get someone to do so.

I still think an engine swap would be easiest, especially with the large contingent of subaru owners in your area. The Junkyards should have quite a bit of Subaru goodies...

sheepdog
10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
I would take a gander that the STi internals wouldnt work. Any machine shop can give you a quote for the buildup of the bottom end. However, I also throw my support that an engine swap would be more economical, some of the problems boosting that engine are not only internal related, especially if you want to run 20psi. It is difficult to run 20psi on the stock internals on the EJ20t, so I am betting that you will have issues with the block. You may be able to get an STi bottom end, that should solve the whole problem, but at that point, swap the whole engine :lol:

There is a good amount of knowledge about swapping engines in legacies here, although it is not easy. Also, the guys at RalliTek are extremely knowledgeable as well.

Consider the EJ22t engine out of the 1st gen legacy turbos. With built internals you can do that 20psi without breaking a sweat. Good luck with the supporting mods to run that boost though.... Fuel pump, fuel rail, engine management, turbo, custom turbo inlet hose, fabricated downpipe, intercooler placement/piping, etc...haha

Wiscon_Mark
10-23-2005, 07:50 PM
why would it have to be a fabricated downpipe? I've heard a few on LCO talk about ones they bought...

sheepdog
10-23-2005, 08:39 PM
If he wants to run 20psi, you are either gonna be stressing a subaru turbo or going with something beefier. Depending on where you decide to put this turbo, you are gonna have to make/modify any pipe that goes in or out of it. Just trying to prepare him for what he is getting into, ithe idea that ts far from plug and play was my main goal with that list mark ;)

Wiscon_Mark
10-23-2005, 08:41 PM
oh, okay :D

Gator will rip your heart out if you ask him to list everything that entails a swap :lol:

sheepdog
10-23-2005, 09:14 PM
However, I didnt want to discourage you from the idea! The more engine swapped legacies the merrier. Rallitek gave me a quote of 6k to do my swap, however I was doing a RHD legacy twin turbo conversion into my 97 BD, so only an engine swap would probly be less. Also, I have found other shops that will do it for less, but I figured Rallitek has done several and I would rather have it done right than done by someone who had never done it before.

budbrown
10-23-2005, 11:21 PM
well i've decided guys!

EJ257 STi short block

+

FP Green Turbo

=

:D

Wiscon_Mark
10-23-2005, 11:23 PM
glad we could help :)

sheepdog
10-23-2005, 11:37 PM
well i've decided guys!

EJ257 STi short block

+

FP Green Turbo

=

:D

that should work nicely :twisted: That turbo looks sweet, you should def do the option for the 3 inch turbo inlet hose. What engine management are you going to use? I reccomend the Rallitek Perfect Power 7, totally badass. Also, I have a stock STi VF-39 turbo on my shelf that I am no longer going to use, if you are interested PM me and Ill give it to you for 750 bucks, it has 500 miles on it. That would give you more mulah to spend on other mods ;)

budbrown
10-24-2005, 03:42 PM
i'll be running greddy e-manage until i have enough money to get link plus.

sheepdog
10-24-2005, 04:00 PM
hmmm, emanage. I dont have any experience with that one at all, pretty much all UTEC. Good luck dude and keep us posted!

budbrown
10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
will do!