PDA

View Full Version : Power seat conversion

gilligan
11-05-2008, 05:15 AM
I've got a 1990 Legacy with worn-out front seats. I know of a place where I can get really nice front seats from an SVX for only about $100 for both, but they're power adjustable seats and my car doesn't have power seats. How hard is it to rig up a power supply for the seats?

The place where I'm planning on buying the seats parts out a lot of old Subarus, especially SVXs--so I'd probably be able to get power supplies for these seats. I just don't know how (or how hard it is) to wire them up.

Huffer
11-05-2008, 07:27 AM
If the motors for the seats are on the seats themselves, you'll probably just need to tap into a 12V powersupply that turns off when the key is off - ignition probably.

Hocrest
11-07-2008, 10:47 PM
The SVX power seats only need 2 wires, a ground and 12v+.

I'd suggest using a constant powered 12v rather than a switched. Otherwise you won't be able to adjust the seat until you get in and turn the key.

The mounting brackets are different, so you will need to do some fab work to mount them securely.

Hocrest
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Forgot to mention, there are two 2 wire connectors on the seat, one to power the seat motors, and the other for the seat belt switch.