PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Knock and Oxygen sensor

shazapple
11-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm replacing my knock sensor and front oxygen sensor.

Where is the knock sensor located?

Any tips for either of these?

kyle86na
11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
EJ25d knock sensor is loctated directly underneath your intake manifold. I have tiny baby girl hands, so I was able to finagle the sensor in and out with out removing anything. This was barely.
I would imagine it could have been a lot easier if I had removed the throttle body, and that would have been enough room to work

1 bolt and 1 connector is all it take i believe, super easy to do but in an awkward spot.

Perdue
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
It was easiest for me to access that front O2 sensor by taking off the intake tubing/assembly and actually come in from the top. I'm pretty sure that I had an aftermarket exhaust by then though, so that might've been the cause. Be sure you spray it with PB Blaster or WD-40 a day before you go to change it.

Huffer
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Both items are a PITA. If you have a open-end flathead wrench for the O2 it goes much easier. Soak the thing consistently for several hours if not days.

If you have an aftermarket intake it is much easier to get to the harness from above to unplug it.

The knock sensor is pretty bad if you have large hands or an auto. The auto harness has more plugs and wires on the backside of the engine which get in the way - additionally here the stock airbox intake has to be removed.

The worst part about the knock sensor is the harness it's plugged into. It's usually zip-tied tight and low to the block, giving you little slack to deal with.
Also, the knock sensor is bolted to the block with a (I think) a 10mm bolt. Doesn't hurt to hit that with some PB blaster, just make sure the bolt is clean and dry before replacing.

J-Rock!
11-07-2008, 04:46 PM
if you have any problem with the 02 sensor, work it out a lil then go back to snug, twist it out some more then go back to snug, slowly then repeat,,, with pb blaster and this motion you should be fine.. and just another lil good technique is crawl underneath with a lil tourch even a touch lighter of some type will help with the 02 sensor...

as for the knock sensor,,, cake done them athousand times (but then agian I have lil gurl hands lol )I belive its a 14 but it may be a 12 havnt done any in awile but a long extension and a pocket screw driver is all ya need... And make sure like Huff said make sure the threads are clean and not cobbed up

decke48
11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
the knock sensor is a twelve. and if you dont have a torque box you dont need to remove the intake to get to the plug

Reason
11-08-2008, 04:07 AM
If you have big hands you are fucked for the knock sensor.

decke48
11-08-2008, 01:23 PM
hey ive done a knock sensor with the torque box in place that was a b**ch and is have large hands