PDA

View Full Version : Any issues swapping WRX momo steering wheel into 97 Legacy ?

GT Wagon
10-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Since my last post didn't get an answer lets try this one.

I want to put a WRX momo wheel in the Legacy. Both cars have airbags. I'm expecting NO for an answer but can I just plug everything up and have a functioning airbag with no problems ?

Or

- Airbag light will come on
- Connectors will be different
- Airbag will not deploy
- Airbag will randomly deploy
- Combination of the above

I really don't care if the airbag no longer works, in fact I'd prefer it. However, I just don't want to be driving aroundn with the little airbag light constantly lit.

ooberdoob
10-25-2005, 09:31 PM
it can be done, its pretty easy. you just have to find someone to let thier paws of the wheel.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... eel+legacy (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703203&highlight=wrx+wheel+legacy)
nasioc's dead, but thats for future reference.

you have to change out the cruise control stalk and i thin kyou have to rig up the airbag wiring.... but then again maybe not.

i'll find it on scoobymods for ya.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127 there ya go! all the same rules apply, you know its the same car.

blackgtbeauty
11-15-2005, 08:21 PM
i have a version.6 momo/sti wheel in my 99 leg and it bolted and plugged right in, couldn't be simpler, except i lost cruise control, but i'm not crying over that. just check out my cardomain site.

galek_98gt
11-15-2005, 11:26 PM
i have a version.6 momo/sti wheel in my 99 leg and it bolted and plugged right in, couldn't be simpler, except i lost cruise control, but i'm not crying over that. just check out my cardomain site.

where can i find a momo wheel like yours?

GT Wagon
11-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Great , there's issues with '97 and older Legacy's. That was my concern, that the airbag wouldn't mate up. Personally I don't care if the bag doesn't work as I wear my seatbelt. Now if I do not connect the airbag will that cause the dash light to stay on ?

Huffer
11-16-2005, 11:08 AM
What are the issues? Connector plugs different?

Just remember your health/auto insurance won't be covered if you tamper with the SRS system.

Anyway. If you want the airbag light to go out, you can just remove the bulb/disonnect the entire system.

Wiscon_Mark
11-17-2005, 08:23 PM
the insurance will cover it, if they don't know :twisted: :lol:

If its wiring, it can be dealt with. If its different SRS systems, you might want to forget it.

On that note, the 3 spoke MOMO wheel that they put on the RS Sport Package is hot, and I want one! :D

GT Wagon
11-17-2005, 09:23 PM

Just remember your health/auto insurance won't be covered if you tamper with the SRS system.

Anyway. If you want the airbag light to go out, you can just remove the bulb/disonnect the entire system.

Ah the beauty of Canadian law. Even if you make a false representation of your car (full out STi swap when it should be lowly L wagon...) while the insurance can deny you coverage on the car , they cannot deny you coverage for personal injury.

Back to the "real" issue, the plugs are different. I'm no engineer so I'm not about to rig the plug to an airbag as I cannot be sure what the repercussions will be. The last thing I'd want to see happen is the bag deploy randomly while I'm on the highway. Since its a different system , they are probably different variables to considered and the airbag may not deploy as intended causing more injury than no bag at all.

What I'd like is to swap in the wheel, not connect the airbag and just have the light disabled... not all the trouble lights.

Wiscon_Mark
11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
the light bulb is easy enough to remove ;)

Huffer
11-18-2005, 10:13 AM
I'd stuff a load of really dense foam in behind the steering wheel cover too. I'd prefer a spread impact of that than the steering column hitting me.

How different are the plugs? Are they just connector shape different or are the wires different color too?

Kraziken
12-21-2005, 12:08 PM

Ah the beauty of Canadian law. Even if you make a false representation of your car (full out STi swap when it should be lowly L wagon...) while the insurance can deny you coverage on the car , they cannot deny you coverage for personal injury.

Back to the "real" issue, the plugs are different. I'm no engineer so I'm not about to rig the plug to an airbag as I cannot be sure what the repercussions will be. The last thing I'd want to see happen is the bag deploy randomly while I'm on the highway. Since its a different system , they are probably different variables to considered and the airbag may not deploy as intended causing more injury than no bag at all.

What I'd like is to swap in the wheel, not connect the airbag and just have the light disabled... not all the trouble lights.

The connectors are not only different, but I believe the voltages are different.

I got my JDM Momo wheel from Subysouth on Nasioc. He had the wheel for awhile, but decided he wanted the airbag function back.

I believe '98 and newer cars are fine.

jakmobile
03-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Fine, meaning the connectors mate right up? What about the newer LGT steering wheels?