PDA

View Full Version : just changed a spindle bearing yesterday

galek_98gt
10-28-2005, 03:03 PM
what a PITA!1!.

for months i've been driving around with this rough sound coming from the front passenger side. i figured its probably the cv and sure maybe the bearing. a buddy of mine who does a lot of automotive work rides with me one time and he notices right away what the problem is. so i go onto rockauto and order up the new sindle bearing and lock nut. finally on a day off and the on-base auto shop is open we get started on what should have been about a 30-45 min job and run into all kinds of problems. the major one was that the spindle sleeve* was seized and even with a 25-ton bottle press we found it extremely difficult to push that thing out. after getting that out and putting the new one, getting everything reassembled we take it for a quick test run. everything is fine on the straights and right turns but when you take a left turn you can hear the cv binding and start clicking through the turn. apparently because the bearing was so worn the slack compensated for the bad cv but now the new bearing makes it stand out. it was already after 6 and O'Reily was about to close so i called them to hold a cv axle for me and we went to pick that up but by the time we got back to the basse the shop was closed and neither of us have the tools to get the cv replaced. now that has to wait until tuesday.

cliffs: had a worn bearing, spent 5hours getting that fixed. now i know the cv needs replacing. carpooling til tuesday.

mr_choung
10-29-2005, 01:12 PM
man i know how u felt...here's my story!
Saturday
-my driver side brakes started to grind!
Sunday
-bought front and rear brake pads...
went to replace front brakes when noticed cv boot was torn
-bought new driver axle!
-try to take out the old axle with a hammer, DIDN'T POP OUT :(
MONDAY
-bought spindle from junk yard
-got home, WRONG SPINDLE>>>>PASSENGER SIDE! WTF
TUESDAY
-Return spindle for a new one....
-replace axle
A month later.....bearing is loose...there's another 40 buck to press
the bearings...should i get new one's?

-axle-50
-brake pads- 75
spindle-60
F*CKING PISSED- NOT WORTH IT!

ooberdoob
10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
yesterday i opened my hood, and was hunting around trying to create some intake idea. i looked down to see a stripe of grease from the pieced CV boot.

tahts what the smell was, grease on the catalytic conv.

great.

i reaplced the MOST evil boot with thee olde quick boot from work. PITA, 2 hours later i felt great having seem a prob and in the same day i had fixed it, and i had never messed with CV boots before.

i opened the hood to inspect my work intending on a nice clean setup, hell no there's a boot's worth of grease on top of the new grease striping the engine bay...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

i guess i have to put on a real boot afterall. dammit!!!!!