PDA

View Full Version : Modding an Xbox 360

11-29-2008, 05:36 AM
so i pulled apart my xbox 360 today, voiding the warranty as i went..(since i opened it)

im going to "flash" my dvd drive through my computer so that i can play burned backup copies of xbox 360 games (that i already own) in case something happens to the original ones... i think everyone should do this personally.. but i'll try it out within the week and let y'all know how it goes first...

Huffer
11-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Piracy is a no-no. If you want to engage in illegal activities, please find another board. This is a public forum, and frankly I don't want the RIAA or MPAA running SLI down for providing a haven for discussions like this.
http://torrentfreak.com/president-bush- ... aw-081014/ (http://torrentfreak.com/president-bush-signs-anti-piracy-czar-law-081014/)

There are plenty of other boards out there that will facilitate your desires.

decke48
11-29-2008, 11:36 AM
no lock? :lol: .. but yes its wrong to do. find a different board for this question/subject

Huffer
11-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm not a moderator for the Gamer Lounge...

decke48
11-29-2008, 02:05 PM
ohh yeah shanes been to lazy to sign a moderator for the sub-forum.. ahem :grin:

11-29-2008, 02:33 PM
actaully, huffer, it's not illegal at all to flash your drive.

it's actually encouraged and completely legal to make copies of games you own and play them.

Perdue
11-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah. It's actually when you start burning ROMs and downloaded copies of the games that you infringe on copyrights. Same thing as copying music cds you own to your computer and burning them to disc for use elsewhere or backups.

Huffer
11-29-2008, 03:37 PM
im going to "flash" my dvd drive through my computer so that i can play burned copies of xbox 360 games

Doesn't matter how you cut it, you said it. You specifically said burned COPIES. Not "to backup my own games so the discs don't get scratched".

SilentRacer
11-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Just so you know, if you put an incorrectly copied xbox game into your xbox. Your xbox will be banned from live permanently. Furthermore, every few months microsoft does a ban wave that will also result in your xbox getting banned. So don't come here and encourage everybody to do it like nothing bad can happen.

decke48
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
ok i watch some videos.

this is against the microsoft term of agreements, so use your live account at your own risk you may be banned permanently
its so it might not be copyright infringment, but void the terms of agreements, banning you account

it's actually encouraged and completely legal to make copies of games you own and play them.
not by microsoft. only the hacking community

11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
ok i watch some videos.

this is against the microsoft term of agreements, so use your live account at your own risk you may be banned permanently
its so it might not be copyright infringment, but void the terms of agreements, banning you account

not by microsoft. only the hacking community

it's by federal law that it's legal to create backups of things you own, im not doing anything illegal at all, i never said that i was going to download games, i said i would copy them. i own the game, im backing it up. perdue is right...

and even if, hypothetically, my xbox account was banned there are numeruos ways to un-ban it...

im not saying who is right or wrong, but if degrading me brings your self esteems to the top, i'll take one for the team. :neutral:

Huffer
11-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Now you're making it personal, and that's wrong. So cut it out, immediately.

If you're saying this is a good way to backup your games, fine. But make sure you say that FIRST before you get SLI involved with the MPAA.

I don't give a damn if you get yourself banned from Xbox live, or void your warranty, or get taken to court for copyright infringement. But don't you dare do anything on this board that will bring it down. Don't be that selfish.

and even if, hypothetically, my xbox account was banned there are numeruos ways to un-ban it...

They don't ban the accounts only. They ban the serial numbers stamped into the hardware, and the CPU/Hard drive of your xbox. So when you pop up online somewhere trying to register a new account from a previously banned console, sorry - no fly zone.

Like I said, there are plenty of other forums out there that are setup for this type of conversation - take it over there, ok?

11-29-2008, 06:19 PM
damn dude, chill out...
i didnt bring this up to invite anyone to do it.
and i didnt bring this up to start an arguement,
i didnt bring it up to discuss the polotics of piracy.
i didnt bring it up to personally insult anyone.

i did it innocently, didnt think itd be a big deal

topic over.

sorry for bringing it up, goddamn...

11-29-2008, 06:20 PM
great, now its gunna be all awkward..

anyways modding an xbox 360 case..
here's a cool one:

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2008/11/100_0566-1.jpg

1996Battlewagon
11-29-2008, 10:00 PM
In my opinion, unless you have money to burn, the last thing you want to do is void your warranty. Xbox 360s are not that reliable and Microsoft knows that, giving very generous year long warranties. If it wasn't for the warranty, I'd be SOL. I'm on my FOURTH 360; they've all been replaced under warranty. You void your warranty, and you could be out 300 sum dollars.

ScaryFatKidGT
11-29-2008, 10:46 PM
idk i dont think theres much wrong with it...its what were doing 2 are cars. If u have had your xbox for over a year there is no warrenty really so mod away its not wrong unless u where making it better for gaming to give u an advantage and its not illegal unless your giving the burned disks away or selling them idk how many maps on my friends games dont work cuz they got scratched and now they need to buy another $50 game

now if he was trying to sell copied disks i would lock this forum up but hes not

(wow i didnt relize how a um seriouse? this topic was when i posted this i think he should of just added "burned back up copies" to the "so that i can play burned copies of xbox 360 games")

11-29-2008, 11:04 PM
well for the record the xbox im doing this to is one that i fixed the red ring o' death on and got off ebay for $40, so really im just messin around with stuff, i really dont intend to track down and pirate games but it'd be nice to still play the ones i have if somethin happened to the originals...
if i get banned for that , oh well, i have my normal one to play safely on...

anyways.. about those sweet cover things...

ScaryFatKidGT
11-30-2008, 02:41 AM
i want a clear xbox

Reason
11-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Zues you are banned you pirate.....

This is a stupid argument. He never said he was going to copy his games and sell them. And the comparison to modding a car (or a computer) sounds about right. I had a PS1 chipped for the same reason. My friend has a modded PS2 and we play bootleg games still to this day.

Stop the arguing, don't make me lock this thread. I'll turn this thread right around and bring you guys home!

Perdue
11-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Zues you are banned you pirate.....

This is a stupid argument. He never said he was going to copy his games and sell them. And the comparison to modding a car (or a computer) sounds about right. I had a PS1 chipped for the same reason. My friend has a modded PS2 and we play bootleg games still to this day.

Stop the arguing, don't make me lock this thread. I'll turn this thread right around and bring you guys home!
You go girl![/supertroopersreference] :lol:

11-30-2008, 03:22 PM
im banned from what..?
those clear cases are freakin expensive... theyre like $50 to $100 bucks but ive seen some come with some sweet led's on em

anothernord
11-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Put money into a new 360 with the Jasper motherboard (the new, reliable, energy efficient one). :wink:

11-30-2008, 04:21 PM
see, id like to mod out an xbox 360 but i'd feel like such a massive nerd..

plus id rather spend the money on my car(thats getting 12mpg right now)

decke48
11-30-2008, 04:22 PM
i didnt say it was illegal to make backups of disc. it violates the terms of agreements with xbox live. which they ban you for
my orginal xbox was modded. serial numbers/hardware changed. it was fun for a bit but got boring

11-30-2008, 04:29 PM
but if ya dont play live, you're clear! :lol:

Perdue
11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but you do play live so you should get on COD right now...I need someone to get drunk with. lol

Huffer
11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm all for case mods (voiding your warranty is your business). Ebay has tons of skins you can apply, which don't void the warranty:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=xbox+skins&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
yeah but you cant see your games spin in the midst of l.e.d.s, lol

its really only worth voiding your warranty if you yourself know how to ffix things that could go wrong...

Grafton
12-05-2008, 12:13 AM
i came into this thread expecting water cooling i was disappointed :(

decke48
12-05-2008, 12:22 AM
i might do a clear case mod. with watercooling since my xbox is anceint and past warrenty. still have the 1 gen. bought on first day. no problem except the controller broke

henryq89
12-05-2008, 12:25 AM
i came into this thread expecting water cooling i was disappointed :(

lol owned! jk jk haha...

decke48
12-05-2008, 01:02 AM
towel mod FTW. :smt005

12-05-2008, 01:05 AM
you guys could just point fans at it, :lol:

decke48
12-05-2008, 01:08 AM
the problem is the 4 chips on the bottom of the mobo. a fan just doesnt cut it

12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
oh.. the x-clamps er whatever theyre called?

yeah, ive seen some pretty sweet modded xbox's but that crap gets so spendy

TheAngryPidgeon
12-05-2008, 01:55 AM
If you alll have that much extra money to burn, I vote you donate it to the Phil-drives-a-2.5-pre-head-gasket-replacement-fund. :smt023

12-05-2008, 02:03 AM
no way, donate it to the "justin needs to fix his blown head gasket so he can sell his pontac that's been sitting in front of my house for 3 months"
:razz:

Grafton
12-05-2008, 02:12 AM
hell donate it to
justin aka grafton needs an sti swap fund