PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running emulators?

Plays_with_Toys
12-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I got all nostalgic the other day and decided to download a Sega Genesis emulator. I've got an EMS USB2 playstation to USB adapter and have been rocking out all night with some shinobi and streets of rage. Last night was a few hours of Urban Strike. I'm currently battling through streets of rage 2 and will follow up with some Comix Zone.

So anyone else play these? I might have to get a nintendo emulator and bust out some mario as well, but sega is what I grew up on.

Huffer
12-06-2008, 07:45 AM
On my old Xbox (original) I had an emulator installed so I could play old ROMs.

It was pretty cool. Lots of Final Fight and Golden Axe goodness.

I like this site:
http://www.everyvideogame.com/

Reason
12-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Whoa whoa, what is this stuff and how do you get it??

12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
you can run all sorts of emulators from your pc for free... like gameboy, psp, ps2, all the old consoles, etc.

with most of all the games...

Reason
12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
How? I like to play old school games.

Huffer
12-06-2008, 06:21 PM
http://www.emulator-zone.com/

Reason
12-06-2008, 06:55 PM
oh so this is for the computer and have to buy a controller to play these games?

blackgtbeauty
12-07-2008, 11:42 AM
romnation.net .

I have tons on my computer.

Mega Man (II is the best IMO) was tons of fun till my comp died again.

TheAngryPidgeon
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
It was pretty cool. Lots of Final Fight and Golden Axe goodness.

Golden Axe was ftfw. :smt023

Okin DaVanh
12-07-2008, 11:57 AM
oh so this is for the computer and have to buy a controller to play these games?

I'd like to know the same thing.

TheAngryPidgeon
12-07-2008, 12:02 PM

I'd like to know the same thing.

From what I understand, most of these can be run off a simple wasd/space bar set up. Some use the arrow keys, or number pad. You may even be able to keybind as you see fit.

Perdue
12-07-2008, 01:57 PM
If not, I got a wireless USB controller (Playstation style) I'll sell/trade you. I never play computer games anymore so it's just collecting dust.

Reason
12-07-2008, 04:25 PM
If not, I got a wireless USB controller (Playstation style) I'll sell/trade you. I never play computer games anymore so it's just collecting dust.

pm me how much you want for it.

blackgtbeauty
12-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I use a wired Xbox 360 controller. works great.

badbasser98
12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Be careful with these. There are some that are traceable like sharing MP3's. Most (if not all) emulators and their associated ROM's are illegal and are considered piracy. :-?

Plays_with_Toys
12-09-2008, 12:51 AM
I understand the argument that it can be seen as piracy. The way I see it is I at one point purchased these games. They've gone to the wayside and I no longer can find them/probably got pawned for a quarter a piece at a garage sale at some point. The games are no longer available, without being a serious collector. And even if you could find the games, alot of the systems no longer work.

Wii is the only system that is offering up their classic games on their new system.

As to using a controller, you don't need one. But, playing the games doesn't feel right without one. I like my $5 oldschool playstation controller. Greatest video game purchase ever.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4526/img08870uq.jpg

ryu_haneda
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
The argument against emulation is basically all on piracy. It sucks that you can't "back up" your purchased games to your pc (as it would be a useful alternative to all the foot work to track them down, if you could prove you purchased them).

Some people just download the games for a while and then delete them. (Nostalgic, but still illegal.)

The percent of people that just use emulation simply to observe the videogame system (and even do homebrew game development) in some cases are still breaking the law because they are working with proprietary technology (ROM scans, etc.) that the companies never allowed to be put into public domain use.

However, don't count the old games out just yet. Especially with the Wii and also with newer systems, classic compilations are coming out now more and more that showcase old games. Old arcade games for now, but imagine 5 more years down the road what will happen if we send the videogame industry a strong message. (And Xbox LIVE is beginning to get in the act with Duke Nukem 3D, and the Marathon series of games that were on the old Macintosh pcs. Old game supporters should be pushing hard to get old games recognized on the Wii, PS3, and Xbox LIVE.)

Will they be free games, though? Probably not.

If you do want to download free old games for the computer, one website I go to is www.liberatedgames.com (http://www.liberatedgames.com) (or .org, something like that) - these are liberated games that have been released by their developers to the public. Not a whole bunch of them. But they are free.

AWDisGREAT
06-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Hell yeah, I've got emulators! I don't put them on my PC however. I have them all on a 500gig HD so that if anything happens, I have backup.
Old school Sonic FTW!!!

anothernord
06-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Dosbox baby!

Pulski
11-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I have somewhere in the range of 5000-6000 ROMs including, but not limited to, Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16, Neo-geo, Arcade, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, etc. Love 'em.

IMO, anyone looking for a game pad should pick up a Logitech one. They've made a few very good Playstation style controllers for the PC.

ben g
11-06-2009, 02:59 PM
^^^ i have all those as well playstation type controls you can get for super cheap at wallmart if you are just trying to get by ha

Pulski
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I just picked up a Logitech PS style pad pretty cheap. Has vibe and everything. I need to get all my Emu. stuff on to my media box for some 56" Nintendo. ;)