PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket remote starter

SmoothLegacy
10-29-2005, 12:55 AM
I want to know if it is possible to wire up a remote starter to a 01 BE. Its a manual, which i think i can disable the clutch switch. Does anyone have any experience doing this? tips would be helpful before i start on this job!

sheepdog
10-29-2005, 07:28 AM
It can definitely be done. Be careful though, Ive heard about a guy who was under his car and leaned on his remote start remote and it ran him over :? because it was in gear and the starter motor can move the car.

shazapple
10-29-2005, 10:32 AM
check out this post of mine, has a great site with info

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=1062

Legacy4Life
10-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I have a manual transmission and a remote starter. It's a little bit more awkward then with an automatic, but can be done.

There are methods of doing it with camera's and position sensing devices to ensure that your vehicle is not in gear, but they are expensive. By the way, NOT a good idea to bypass the clutch switch.

The one I have from http://www.autostart.ca/. I tried to put up a link from their website, but their web catalog doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

It's a logic based system. When you park the car you pull up the hand brake, and before you turn off the motor, you unlock the doors with the remote. The system unlocks the doors and keeps the motor running when you take the key out. Once you're out of the car, you close the doors and lock them with the remote. Logically, if you just got out of the car, locked the doors and the car was running, chances are it wasn't in gear. (Unless you jumped from a moving vehicle!) Once the system locks the doors in turns off the engine and it's now in what is called "Ready Mode".

As long as no one opens a door, the system assumes no one has been in the car since it locked the doors and if you want to start it remotely it will work. If you ever open the doors without first starting the car and then relocking it with the remote the system cancels the "ready mode" because it no longer knows for sure that when the doors were open someone didn't put it back in gear.

I suppose you could theoretically sit in the car, put it in ready mode the same as above, close the doors, but stay in the car when you lock it. Then (again, this assuming you want to be an idiot) you could put it in gear and try to start it! However, as soon as the car sensed the motion it would cancel the ready mode. It also monitors the hand brake, the brake pedal and I believe the clutch pedal as well and any of them will cancel the ready mode. I know, because occasionally I’ll hit the brake pedal by accident getting out of the car during the “procedure” and the car shuts off!

Works well once you get used to it and it's not much more then the price of the standard system. Of course, if it’s for the wife’s car… you might have more grief then its worth! She can never seem to get the procedure right!

That’s my two cents worth!