PDA

View Full Version : 02 wrx brakes on 99LGT

Svenerachi
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
i've still got my stock rims, and seeing as the rims are interchangable I'm assuming, like the ass that I am, that the brakes are interchangable if I've got the bracket from the calipers.... I know I'll need wrx rotors as well, haven't ordered them yet as I'm still trying to decide which brand/style to get.... not sure if I want to get slotted or just blanks

and if anyone has any suggestion on good rotors other than brembo and dba's, much appreciated.

Huffer
12-18-2008, 04:27 PM
99 GT: Brakes: 4 channel Anti-Lock Brakes - Heavy duty, dual caliper piston, 10.7" front disk,10.5" rear.

02 WRX: Front: 11.4" vented twin-caliper piston. Rear: 10.3" solid disc

The only different really is the rotor.. the caliper itself is the same, you'd just need the bigger rotor and caliper bracket.

May not necessarily be any better than a good set of pads, some ATE fluid and rotors. That's a fair amount of mass to be adding to the front end, nearly a full inch of brake rotor plus the caliper bracket.

I know DLC downsized from the 05+ LGT brakes because the unsprung mass caused the car to feel heavy in the turns.

RS22b
12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Actually i did the same thing on my 06' Spec B. I went down to 4pots in the front and the car feels so much better. For daily use and a tiny bit of spirited driving that is fine to downgrade to such a brake.

If you are looking to really beat on your car or track day you would want a disc that has more mass and larger as well to disipate the heat as much as possible to prevent fade.

Discs, according to the guidlines i just stated, i always use DBA stuff. It is the most dense rotor that we have found and love using it on all our cars including street, rally and track cars.

_billy

Svenerachi
12-21-2008, 06:09 PM
thanks for the reply! I need new rotors, figured I'd upgrade the whole brake package, and if the calipers are essentially the same, then thats just as well as the stockers are shot (gaskets blown, cylinders cracked) and this is cheaper than a stock replacement of newb...

do i need the wrx rotors then, or will the LGT stock rotors work with the wrx calipers and bracket? (LGT rotors are cheaper than wrx rotors generally from what I've found)

sorry I know next to nothing about brakes regardless of the fact I used to work at Just Brakes for nearly a year....(this is your sign to NEVER take your car to Just Brakes.....)

impreza_GC8
12-21-2008, 06:18 PM
What do you use your car for? I think the larger brakes might be unnecessary for you. I was going to get WRX brakes and I decided they weren't necessary for me. I compete in SCCA RallyX events on my stock Outback brakes. Get some really nice rotors, pads and fluid and you'll stop better than stock WRX brakes with less unsprung weight. Thats just my opinion.

decke48
12-21-2008, 06:44 PM
basicly to put 02 wrx brakes on your 99 all you need is brackets, pads and rotors the calipers are the same

Okin DaVanh
12-21-2008, 07:05 PM
What about swapping my L system for WRX Calipers, 00 BE pads/brackets, w/ 99 GT Rotors?

I've already pieced together some of my set up.

KAG
12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
basicly to put 02 wrx brakes on your 99 all you need is brackets, pads and rotors the calipers are the same
Believe it or not, the pads are exactly the same too. Both the LGT and wrx with a manufacture date before 7/2002 have the D721 pad shape. The brackets on the wrx are positioned different to hold the pads out further for the larger rotors, but other than, that they're the same.

After 7/2002, the wrx/LGT got the D929 shaped caliper brackets along with calipers that have 'Tokico' branded on them.

I upgraded to the early wrx setup because a local guy gave me his brackets for next to nothing (lunch). I was getting new rotors anyways too, so total cost for me to upgrade to 11.4" rotors was only a few dollars more per rotor. I can honestly say that under normal braking, there's really no difference. Just get better pads like Hawk HPS and you'll be just as fine, with less unsprung weight. Don't forget to change your fluid while you're in there, too.

My .02 :smile:

Svenerachi
12-21-2008, 07:40 PM
the wrx front calipers i got do say "tokico" on them... does that make a difference?

dude i got them from had an 02 wrx <shrug> or so he claimed...

I don't do anything with my car asside from driving it, I do plan on turning it into an autoX car, but not in the near future, nor on the current engine, I am planning an engine swap in the future and thought I'd upgrade the brakes while I was replacing stock stuff.

Svenerachi
12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
[quote="Svenerachi"]
do i need the wrx rotors then, or will the LGT stock rotors work with the wrx calipers and bracket? (LGT rotors are cheaper than wrx rotors generally from what I've found)

quote]

let me clarify...

can I buy a new set of LGT stock sized rotors to work with the wrx calipers, or do I need to get the wrx sized rotors to work with the wrx calipers

KAG
12-21-2008, 08:09 PM
You need wrx rotors since you are using the wrx calipers and brackets.

To your 2nd to last post: that just means his car was manufactured after 7/2002. Since the calipers are the ones with 'tokico' on them, you need the late style pads too (D929, 03-05 wrx)

If you need any further clarification, here is a good place to confirm: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265631

Svenerachi
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
kewl, thanks... just as easy either way, but if I can save weight, awesome, if not... I'm not the worried about it, I'm not out drag racing or auto Xing all over the place, I'm just trying to upgrade what falls apart before the engine dies and everything needs to be upgraded like I'd said