PDA

View Full Version : YO - Comcast is gettin' expensiiiiiiiiiiiive.

ryu_haneda
12-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey there...

SO - I bought a house, am almost completely moved in, and am transferring services. The problem is moving my cable/internet/phone - I am using cellphones so I don't want a landline, and I am going to be downgrading cable since I don't watch as many channels anyway.

So I call Comcast and ask to be downgraded and transferred. Turns out that if I downgrade one service and cancel another, the remaining internet and cable service will cost more to be transferred than if I keep my promotional prices, which are going up.

Confused? I am too.

Long story short - I would pay to get the service installed at my new house, I would pay about 20 bucks more a month for my bundle, I would pay regular prices for cable and internet if I choose to cancel my phone service, and my first month's bill would be roughly 180+ dollars.

I don't see a happy ending with Comcast here.

I would like to go back to Verizon or any other local bundle provider in the Eastern PA area. I heard briefly about RCN (RoadRunner, too? But I think that only is internet).

Thoughts?

12-21-2008, 03:54 PM
get vonage...

whoohooo hoo hoo hoo woohooo hoo hoo hoo
whoo hoo
whoo hoo
whoo hoo hoo hoo hoo

Reason
12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Verizon FiOS is $99 for everything a month, have you ever look into that?

ryu_haneda
12-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Verizon Fios? What all comes with the bundle?

I'm looking into East/Southeastern PA, outside Quakertown. I do not care about very many channels (just HGTV, Food Network, TLC, and a few other cable faves), so a "basic standard" plan (not BASIC basic) would work.

Phone is OPTIONAL, I might get it if NECESSARY.

Internet should be at least DSL speed, maybe faster (preferrably).

I would like my total bundle price to be no more than 99 to 120 bucks a month, INCLUDING THE COST OF installation and setup. Comcast wants possibly 50 bucks or more to transfer my service and DOES NOT HAVE any Basic Standard service (they only have Digital cable or BASIC basic cable, which is like network channels, that's it).

TheAngryPidgeon
12-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Tell them that you are a loyal Comcast customer, and would like to remain that way, but with the prices they want to charge you to do so, you will have to take your business elsewhere.

See what happens. It's surprising what businesses will do to keep customers, especially with the economy in the state it is in currently.

Reason
12-21-2008, 04:48 PM
FiOS you get HDTV, phone and internet, it supposed to be really good. I'm going to be getting it at some point in the near future.

Plays_with_Toys
12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
We pay $40 a month for just internet, but it is also an upgraded (faster speed) internet through comcast. For Internet + cable, my last house was going to pay $67/month. We decided to go satellite instead and just do internet.

That amount of money is ridiculous. Our comcast office has 3 ladies in it, and my room mates and I will bake cookies and take them in everytime our "promotional period" is over and they just do three clicks of the mouse and reset our payment amount back to the low cost promotional offer. Definitely fanangle with them, because they have ALOT of wiggle room.

Oh- and don't transfer your account. If you open a new one, you'll get the promotional offer again.

decke48
12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
this i what i pay
verzion dsl 3m line $25 month
direct tv (threw verzion) $30 month just basic 100 channels no hdtv
verzion landline w/ 4000min long distance, unlimited regional calls $40 month
so $95 a month
as what i was told with fios its only 10m line and mid-high line tv plan, with no phone for $99 month

this i what i payed with comcast
3m cable line $55 month
80 channel cable no hdtv $65 month
phone $45 month
$165 month :shock:

Okin DaVanh
12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
... and Fios isn't available everywhere yet.

I've tried to get it, but it hasn't been available here yet. Next month.

Grafton
12-21-2008, 05:52 PM
yeahs thats a pricey bill but thats the norm for comcast

henryq89
12-21-2008, 06:06 PM
im stikin with i O :smt026

Perdue
12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Try Suddenlink. We're paying almost $200/month for Expanded cable with a couple of movie channels and internet. That's no phone. It's stupid crazy. I won't pay for it...mom insists on having it. There's enough tv available online to keep me occupied in the ltitle bit of time that I would watch it, so all I need is the internet, which runs liek $50/month.

WinterKnoll
12-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Up where I live Comcast is the one and only choice for both internet and TV. That's why I'm stuck paying hundreds!

decke48
12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Up where I live Comcast is the one and only choice for both internet and TV. That's why I'm stuck paying hundreds!
they no one offers dsl? comcast is the only cable offered in the area here, except verizon fio has come in. in select areas. idk the conditions up there for sattilite tv

henryq89
12-22-2008, 12:15 AM

dude that suks! come 2 NY!! :smt029 :smt023 :smt031 hahaha

Huffer
12-22-2008, 07:24 AM
1. You're an existing customer. How come a new customer gets a lower price? You deserve that too.
2. Refer to #1. If they don't want to honor an existing contract price, you can always cancel all your services and see how they like that.

As someone else mentioned... the companies are surprisingly flexible about this. My family has maintained a "promotional" level of pricing since 2005. On occasion we have canceled our entire service for a week, and then reconnected the following week. We miss a week's worth of TV... oh the humanity!

It's the principle of the thing.

T_F_E
12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Where I am at there is only one company you can get internet and phone from, there is also no service for cell phones.... Aren't monopolies suppose to be illegal??

Huffer
12-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Where I am at there is only one company you can get internet and phone from, there is also no service for cell phones.... Aren't monopolies suppose to be illegal??

That's not a monopoly. A monopoly is where a company prevents competition by:
1. Stopping competition entering the market place (legislation in their favor)
2. Buying out competitors and absorbing them

Just because there is only one company available to supply services you need, doesn't necessarily mean there is a monopoly. It just means there's an excess of demand and a lack of supply (unless one of the two conditions I mentioned above apply).

DLC
12-22-2008, 04:53 PM
I've been paying about $60/mo for Comcast over the last 5 years or so. Get the VERY BASIC CABLE and the standard internet plan and it's the same price as the standard 6Mbps plan alone, sans cable.

DSL is OK, but it's usually nearly the same price per Mbps when you add in the cost of ISP/DSL provider and fees, especially if you don't have a dialtone (which makes DSL more expensive).

There are usually local wireless options, and Cricket now has a wireless internet service for home, but I can't imagine it'd be very fast, and they probably have excessive transfer limits.

I'd stick with Comcast, watch your total monthly transfer, and make the best use of it you can. I do.