PDA

View Full Version : I keep blowing fuse # 15 - what gives?

JLav211
12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey guys,

I keep blowing the # 15 fuse that controls the horn and the lights that flash when you lock the car with the remote. I've been using the replacement fuses from Autozone, but they seem to be junk - I've gone through 4 of them as opposed to the one or two OEM fuses that came with the car.

Regardless, what do you think the problem is? I have the Hella Super Tones which could be causing the failure, but they've been installed for two years and only recently am I experiencing this problem. Any solutions?

Thanks-
Jeff

97legacygt
12-23-2008, 09:47 PM
A wire connection could have gotten corroded recently causing the fuse to blow. Check your connections for the horns. There is probably a short in there somewhere. And a fuse is a fuse, no matter where you get it from. A 10 amp fuse will blow when the circuit it is protection exceeds 10 amps. An OEM fuse should be no different than aftermarket fuse.

JLav211
12-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Could it be caused by dirt building up on the connections?

TheAngryPidgeon
12-23-2008, 11:18 PM
And a fuse is a fuse, no matter where you get it from. A 10 amp fuse will blow when the circuit it is protection exceeds 10 amps.

This is, of course, unless you have fallen victim to one of Murphy's Laws under which "A $300 picture tube will protect a 10 cent fuse by blowing first."

Huffer
12-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I keep blowing the # 15 fuse that controls the horn and the lights that flash when you lock the car with the remote.

Is this the brake pedal fuse?

Sounds like you have a ground out somewhere - check the horn relay and your individual lights to make sure the bulbs are all working correctly.

decke48
12-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Could it be caused by dirt building up on the connections? dirt built up no. but if the connections have corroded it might becausing extra resistance causing the fuse to blow. but that would only cause the fuse to pop if your when you use your horn. when does the fuse pop. when the lights flash, horn, or just when you put a fuse in

JLav211
12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Could it be caused by dirt building up on the connections? dirt built up no. but if the connections have corroded it might becausing extra resistance causing the fuse to blow. but that would only cause the fuse to pop if your when you use your horn. when does the fuse pop. when the lights flash, horn, or just when you put a fuse in

Whenever I use the horn, actually.

decke48
12-24-2008, 12:17 PM
time to look at those connections then

JLav211
12-24-2008, 12:21 PM
time to look at those connections then

Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm afraid I don't have the greatest instincts when it comes to these things.

decke48
12-24-2008, 12:37 PM
look for any corroison on the terminal end and the wire. you can test for ohms if you like. if you see any real corroison cut the old terminal end and put some new ones on

JLav211
12-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Can I pick up new connections in a basic auto parts store, or do I need to go to Subaru?

Also, I can literally "cut" the old ones off?