PDA

View Full Version : lovely trans question

greenspeed
12-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Since I did my write up about about my swap I've been thinking about my trans issue. Mines basically been going to hell in a hand basket since my ej205 swap.

So began looking at trans again. I saw a 93 ra 5 spd on nasioc and basically came in my pants. I've always loved the idea of a 6 spd but that trans has always had my interest. So here is what I need.

Full lsd set up center front and I'm getting an aftermarket rear. I also need to support 500hp 450 ft lbs because if I'm going to upgrade later in life I want the driveline strong.

So I can always get a stronger gear set but what are you ideas?

KAG
12-24-2008, 05:38 AM
How much money do you have to spend?

If money isn't a factor, I'd say get that 93 ra trans and build it up with a full 1-5 PPG gear set, a PPG front diff with 4.44 FD and an exedy twin disk. Match it up with a Quiafe rear diff with matching 4.44 gears and you will have pretty much the most bomb-ass drivetrain ever (not much of an ra trans anymore though, huh?). 500whp will probably need some beefier axles too.

If instead you live on planet earth, and don't want to spend much more than $3000 or so, an 05+ LGT gearset is always a good option. Strong gears and good ratios so all you'll really need to add is the front and center diff. A cusco or quiafe LSD is probably what I'd want for the rear too.

I could list a few more ideas for you, but generally speaking, a 4.44 FD would be loads of fun and I'm sure a 6mt would be sweet as well. Honestly, if I were you, I'd jump on the 93 ra trans as fast as I could. You rarely see one in the US, especially with that low mileage, and if it made you *you know what* in your pants, I think you owe it to yourself to buy it...

k. you asked for ideas. there you go. :lol:

Huffer
12-24-2008, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't even bother with the 93 RA gearset. It was good for it's time but remember the 93 RA wasn't putting out nearly 350bhp.

I would simply rebuild with a PPG 1 and 2, and leave the rest as is. A Quaife rear LSD would be great too.

Alternatively you could do a DCCD conversion.
A 5 spd with 4.44 FD would be a good daily driver, but I know you are planning on making the car a weekend/track warrior.

greenspeed
12-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Well since this will all be going down in steps. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do it all right the first time. The ra tranny to me is like a mantel piece, everyone knows of its legacy for it's day but I'm going to need a 4.44 with quifes for sure but I'd most likely only do one in the rear and want factory front and center lsd. Just not too sure my options on factory. I know the usdm sti swap is easy to find but not even sure I'd be happy with that. Maybe just go with an s401 swap but I plan on buying that car in 5 years or so when they will be legal in Canada and I can afford one.

What factory trans are factory lsd?