PDA

View Full Version : Bang! Clackity, clackity....

legacy92ej22t
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Those of you that frequent LCO will already be aware of this but I thought I'd share with my SL-i brothers and sister.

I grenaded 2nd gear in my tranny, so my Subarina is down. She's hurting real bad but will be back very soon, bigger and badder then ever! :twisted:

I completely sheared second, it's totally gone. Well, not totally gone, all the bits and pieces are bouncing around in there like spit on a hot griddle. :cry:

Huffer
11-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeow.

belladonna
11-03-2005, 04:31 PM
:shock: i remember hearing something about this a couple weeks ago...am i dreaming?

so what's the "bigger and badder" part ? :wink:

bakergtt
11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah you did hear about it but it was a couple of months ago and that was from me.
Did the exact same thing. thought i posted pics of mine too

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=549

sheepdog
11-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Subaru non-sti trannys are not known for a very reliable 2nd. We have had 3 2nd gears go in WRXs over at ECB. And a 3rd gear. One is running straight cut gears now (sounds like a mac truck) one is running an STi RA 5speed and one is running 1st to 3rd ;)

scottzg
11-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Shit man! You are the unluckiest person!

I missed the LCO discussion, you mind pointing me the right way?

What's the solution? Glad to hear you've got one in the pipeline, the engine troubles were sad to read about.

All the best.

Wiscon_Mark
11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
bigger and badder then ever! :twisted:

That's what I like to see! you guys missed the part where Matt wanted to sell her... :( BAC2.5 fixed all that though :twisted:

as sheepdog said, 2nd gear isn't known for being terribly reliable, and I think that is because of the extremely long throw between 1st and 2nd (and the frequency of shifting it) more so than the actual strength of the gear. I have crunched my 2nd gear a couple times, but it wasn't at high RPMs (or under boost, like Matt's car :shock:) so I don't think much damage was done.

Plays_with_Toys
11-03-2005, 11:22 PM
I didn't say anything... :shock:

legacy92ej22t
11-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Jess- Nope, your'e not dreaming, just my nightmare. :(

Bigger and badder= Full PPG dogbox 1-2,3-4 w/synchroed 5th.

I wish! Really, it's going to be the same type tranny only lower miles. Maybe somewhere down the road I can get a built tranny but they are big $.

I am however finally installing my 3.9 lsd rear diff that's been sitting on my bench for over a year as well as some new bushings. Also going with a new ECU, which should finally cure my retarded timing troubles, and I started tearing down my original motor and will be building it up into a monster.

2nd gear in the SS 5mt is a bit stronger then most other non-sti or non-RA gearsets. They were shot-peened and had a stronger case.

I guess it's still a week point though. Mine went and I even rolled onto boost when it did! :shock:

Scott- Yeah, I've been pushing things too long and hard I guess.

Mark- Yep, Phil is the man. If it weren't for him I might have seriously been looking at a part out.

Wiscon_Mark
11-04-2005, 08:08 AM
I didn't say anything... :shock:

My bad, I'm still suffering from dilusions from my time away from SLi :lol:

legacy92ej22t
11-04-2005, 08:50 AM
I missed the LCO discussion, you mind pointing me the right way?

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=23651

:)

I'm waiting to hear from Phil but hopefully Subarina will be back up and running within the next couple weeks!

BAC5.2
11-24-2005, 11:50 PM
:(

The Friday before the Sunday I was supposed to meet up with Matt, my tranny blew on me. I was pulling into the MVA to get the tags for my Forester when it went.

I pulled it on Sunday, and I'll probably tear it open this week.

I'm sorry Matt. I'm still trying to find other solutions to the problem. I won't allow you to part Subarina out. I know it's tough, but I really would hate to see her go down :(. I tried man :(.

Phil