PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading speakers/Headunit

T_F_E
12-30-2008, 10:41 PM
So when I bought the car the rear two door speakers were blown, and I have always had the intent of replacing them. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to whats good and not in car audio so and help would be appreciated. I am also looking to get a new head unit, I would like to have a front aux input, but would be ok with out it. My budget is max 150 but I would like to spend less if possible.

Something like a combination of this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... R&v=glance (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0015AOH4O/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... R&v=glance (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0015C1REK/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

GTDrifter
12-31-2008, 12:54 AM
lol i just redid my 4 speakers...headunit and subwoofer/amp are getting set up friday i have sony xplods and pioneers in the speakers do you have a sedan or wagon?

T_F_E
12-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Wagon, im not to interested in subs right now

Huffer
12-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Pick up a set of used speakers from a later model WRX or STi or Legacy... plug n play for under $100 (should be able to get all four).

1-3-2-4
01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
question for those that upgraded the speakers did you buy shallow mounts or normal mount sized speakers? I've heard issues that you need a shallow one because of the door? However that was with the impreza not sure if that holds true with the Legacy or not.

Huffer
01-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Same with the Legacy. The glass will hit the door if you have a deep magnet and aren't using a spacer.

You can get away with a 1/2" spacer in some instances, but likely it'll be a 1/4" spacer.

1-3-2-4
01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
damn.. so no aftermarket speaker will just drop in without the window glass hitting the magnet then?

I forgot the site where they sold spacers for Subarus 2 for $12 or something like that.

Huffer
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Plenty of aftermarket speakers will drop in. You just have to be careful with their depth measurements. I did a system on my Impreza with Alpine Type R woofers once, I forget the depth measurements but they were fairly big magnets.

One thing I have done is simply upgrade my stock paper cones to OEM rubber speakers from a later model WRX and put some Dynamat Xtreme in around the speaker mounts and on the exterior door skin a bit. It makes the sound stay inside the car, rather than use your door as a cheap metal bass box. I find that I have no need to upgrade my speakers or add a sub, and I have no additional wiring to worry about.

I won't be running any sound-off contests, but I could care less. I can hear my highs, mids and lows, and that's all I need.

1-3-2-4
01-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Plenty of aftermarket speakers will drop in. You just have to be careful with their depth measurements. I did a system on my Impreza with Alpine Type R woofers once, I forget the depth measurements but they were fairly big magnets.

One thing I have done is simply upgrade my stock paper cones to OEM rubber speakers from a later model WRX and put some Dynamat Xtreme in around the speaker mounts and on the exterior door skin a bit. It makes the sound stay inside the car, rather than use your door as a cheap metal bass box. I find that I have no need to upgrade my speakers or add a sub, and I have no additional wiring to worry about.

I won't be running any sound-off contests, but I could care less. I can hear my highs, mids and lows, and that's all I need.

I'm like you too I care about the sound but im not trying to be in a contest only thing however I know Subarus have thin doors and you can tell when playing music loud and listening to it outside.

I thought about the dynomat when I had my 03 XS but I thought it would be a hassle.

the speakers I was looking at were these right here Infinity Reference 6022si
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio ... ctID=18364 (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18364)

Huffer
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
It's really not a hassle to apply Dynamat Xtreme. It's very easy, I did both doors just around the speaker locations.
Honestly, I would try that before upgrading speakers. Sound insulation is incredibly underrated.

1-3-2-4
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
I just heard it was not that easy to apply but I can try.

TheAngryPidgeon
01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Check out www.crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com) these guys are incredibly helpful.

You can enter in your vehicle information and it will filter out search results that do not fit in your vehicle. I purchased my head unit from them, and they were very helpful in answering the question I had while I was installing it. They also include all the extra pieces needed for installation for free. Most other sites don't offer, or charge you for what you get for free.

For instance: since I installed a single DIN into a double DIN slot, Crutchfield included a DIN tray with mounting brackets and everything for free.

You will probably be able to find an item for slightly cheaper elsewhere, but if nothing else, search for it on Crutchfield and read the hands on research and user reviews sections, they will be very helpful in making a decision.

Huffer
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I just heard it was not that easy to apply but I can try.

If you can put a sticker on your car, you can apply Dynamat Xtreme. Peel n stick. Best done in 65degF ambient temps. And with a small wood roller to smooth out the air bumps and ensure a consistent application.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
ewwww...nasty headunit!

and huffer we're sooo far away from 65* weather =[

impreza_GC8
01-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about the speakers not fitting the doors. They have to be quite deep for that to be an issue. I've had two different 130 dB systems in my RS and never had issues with speaker fitment. Any 6.5 speaker will sound better than what you have and I think you're on the right track. If you wanted to go cheaper you could put out a WTB on any of the premium sound speakers that were optional on RS's and Legacies. They are 3 way with rubber cones instead of paper. Right now in my Outback I've got the speakers that came in my 2.5RS equipped with premium sound and they sound much better than the old blown stock speakers. Still not anything like my Pioneer/Kenwood setup in my RS but thats fine.

T_F_E
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow thanks for all the great information guys! I have come to the conclusion that I really don't need to spend all that money on a headunit and all that other jazz, but I do still have 3 blown speakers that are driving me crazy. Any recomendations for cheap door speakers that work good enough?

TheAngryPidgeon
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
It's funny, my stock speakers in my '98 BD really didn't sound that bad. I still have the back pair in, and they provide most of the bass for my system, lol. (More than my Boston SX60 components put out)

Blown speakers are a pain in the ass though. I know hellaGT was looking to replace his rear stock speakers with some aftermarket ones, I'm sure he'd let his stock ones go for hellaCHEAP (sorry, I had to). I'll drop him a line and see if he's switched 'em out yet.

Huffer
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow thanks for all the great information guys! I have come to the conclusion that I really don't need to spend all that money on a headunit and all that other jazz, but I do still have 3 blown speakers that are driving me crazy. Any recomendations for cheap door speakers that work good enough?

I already told you, stock speakers from a newer Subaru. Plug n play.
At the very least, get a new headunit - the stock HU isn't that great.

T_F_E
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
It's funny, my stock speakers in my '98 BD really didn't sound that bad. I still have the back pair in, and they provide most of the bass for my system, lol. (More than my Boston SX60 components put out)

Blown speakers are a pain in the ass though. I know hellaGT was looking to replace his rear stock speakers with some aftermarket ones, I'm sure he'd let his stock ones go for hellaCHEAP (sorry, I had to). I'll drop him a line and see if he's switched 'em out yet.

Thanks I would be very interested in them

I already told you, stock speakers from a newer Subaru. Plug n play.
At the very least, get a new headunit - the stock HU isn't that great.

Sorry I just figured those wouldn't be cheap, but I see that they could be if someone upgrades and just has them laying around thanks for the tip. As far as headunits go I have installed a fair amount of them but really dont know what sets them apart from each other, if I was to look for one I would want aux input either in the front or by component cables in the back. Thats really the main thing I would want, what makes a good headunit better than a sub par one?

Bhatman
01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Depends on what you need and dont need -

When my legacy didnt come with a HU I looked around for two things - MP3/WMA playback so I can put tons of files on a single cd and leave it in there for awhile. Also an AUX jack so if my buddies or myself want to use an mp3 player and its straight forward. I went for basic and simplistic as I dont need a usb jack in my HU(more likely to break the USB) and no flashy and crazy light shows. Yes technically the AUX cable is an analog signal, but it does the job pretty well.

Kenwood (one I went with KDC-MP208) and Pioneer(Premiere series) are some decent HU's

TheAngryPidgeon
01-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Sorry I just figured those wouldn't be cheap, but I see that they could be if someone upgrades and just has them laying around thanks for the tip. As far as headunits go I have installed a fair amount of them but really dont know what sets them apart from each other, if I was to look for one I would want aux input either in the front or by component cables in the back. Thats really the main thing I would want, what makes a good headunit better than a sub par one?

I have been very satisfied with JVC recently. They have an AUX-IN on the front of the unit, as well as other nifty features. I went with the Arsenal KD-AHD39. It ran me about $179, and has HD Radio built in, among other things. So far I've been very impressed with it.