PDA

View Full Version : check engine light blinking?

dirtygst
01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
ok so my cel has been on for a few weeks and its the low catylist code or what not, but anyways i changed the antenna with a new one and while i was driving the cel started blinking and my car started running like crap. does anyone know what this could be, there was also a burning smell that was really strong inside the car. im going to look at the antenna area in the morning but has anyone had this happen before?
thanks

1-3-2-4
01-05-2009, 10:59 AM
blinking like while driving or under power means a misfire is occurring at that moment at the same time you should feel the car like you said running like crap..

have to checked to make sure the spark plug wires are seated? Have you changed the spark plugs? I doubt just changing the antenna will cause this.

Huffer
01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
ok so my cel has been on for a few weeks and its the low catylist code or what not,

That's the problem. Change your O2 sensor/catalytic converter.

dirtygst
01-05-2009, 01:14 PM
ok thanks, i just wasnt sure because it ran fine then i changed the antenna and then this all started happening...

dirtygst
01-13-2009, 11:53 AM
ok so i pulled a new code today, it was misfire in cylinder 3. what are the possible reasons for this, i dont have much money but i was thinking new plugs and wires but could it be any other reason?

Huffer
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
ok so i pulled a new code today, it was misfire in cylinder 3. what are the possible reasons for this, i dont have much money but i was thinking new plugs and wires but could it be any other reason?

Start with the sparkplug and work your way backwards...

plug
wire
coilpack
fuel delivery (fuel filter, fuel injector, fuel pump)

Lowest cost is to replace the spark plugs and put some Seafoam in the fuel tank to help clean the injectors.

dirtygst
01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
ok im going to do that this weekend, thanks

Drifting STi
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Amazing! I have the same issue. I'll be changing the sensor when it gets in. The Plugs and Fuel filter I'll do over the week end.

My 98 Legacy 2.2 L Beater has the following CEL codes:

P0141 (Front O2 Sensor heater malfunction, Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire)

The car is running like shit. LOL

I already ordered the front sensor on ebay. Its a BS replacement that needs to be wired in. Nothing but the best for the beater! LOL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318

Drifting STi
01-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Update:
Air filter- Changed the paper one for a K&N drop in. (Still Stalling)

Decided to go to Autozone since I was due for an oil change. I ended doing what I didn't want to do. I bought the following;

Oil Change- Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a little darker that usual.

NGK Plugs-Here are some pics.
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/images/imported/2009/01/100_15591-1.jpg
They look fine except for #3 which had some sort of burn mark. Maybe arcing caused by bad wires? I checked the wires and they looked pretty bad. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I sprayed them with Brake cleaner, cleaned them up with q-tips and lubed it up with spark plug wire boot grease.

Fuel Filter-I cant believe it costs $26.00! Easy swap.

PCV Valve- OMG What a mess. The valve was sticky, gunked up, and looked like shit. The hose that attaches to the valve was full of oil, carbon, and black stuff. I cleaned out the hose as best as I could I used Q-tips on all other PCV Connections that I couldn't remove.

I reset the ECU and took the car for spin. I felt the difference immediately. No stalling. Car is now running on all 4 cylinders, however I'm still getting the code for the Front O2 sensor.

Seafoam- Dropped it in after the test run.

Thanks for the tips guys
Konrad-I switched the #3 spark plug Wire and installed in #1. If it starts stalling again I know for sure to change the wires.

jey
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds like all you need to do now is change the front O2 sensor.

Drifting STi
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Sounds like all you need to do now is change the front O2 sensor.

You are correct! I order the one from Ebay that needs to be spliced in. Should be done by weeks end.

Drifting STi
01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
I replaced the Front O2 sensor with the ebay universal unit. I'm still getting the dam P0141. I might have to start a new thread.

nipper
01-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Well none of those plugs look fine no matter how you cut it. Those electrodes are badly erroded.

The front O2 sensor really needs to be OE. Parts on ebay are basically a crap shoot, especially with O2 sensors. www.1stsubaru.com (http://www.1stsubaru.com) is a good on line source.

Mystery sourced O2 sensors just dont perform like the ones from subaru with subaru packaging.

nipper

GTDrifter
01-31-2009, 11:35 PM
yeah...mine started blinking and sputtering and running like crap today...going to pickup parts tomarrow