PDA

View Full Version : tranny whine

badbasser98
11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I have noticed as of late that I can hear my transmission whine in a steadily increasing pitch as the car travels faster, also when decelerating. Only thing I can compare the noise to is a racing tranny, that type of whining noise... It started when it got colder out, but now seems to do it more often, and not just when the tranny is cold. Is this something that is normal, and I just never heard it before? Or something I should have looked at. Just hit 59,000 miles. Am thinking about having it looked at since my warrenty runs out at 60,000. Plus I gotta get that dreaded 60K maintenence... BTW I have a EJ25 w/ 4EAT (I know :roll: )

Thanx,
-BB98

HFSDevil
11-07-2005, 02:34 AM
Mine does the same thing, it is just the synchros getting up to speed. Also sounds like a turbo :-D

Wiscon_Mark
11-07-2005, 08:07 AM
hmmm, the only thing like that I notice is rattling in the linkage at certain RPMs...weird...

Does anyone think its a problem?

GT Wagon
11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
My '91 with 240k will whine on the highway when I get on the gas. Its done that for 4 years and the tranny has never been a problem. One of the local Subaru club guys was asking this very thing about his 05 Legacy GT wagon with <10k on it. Personally I think its a "Subaru" thing, just like VW VR6's will make a metalic whine from the motor and you are hammering it. Doesn't mean anything is wrong, just the way it sounds after a while.

Huffer
11-07-2005, 01:59 PM
177k and a little whining.

I did recently change the fluid twice, and chuck in some Lubegard, so there is less noise from the tranny. I do hear the engine a lot more now, simply because of the age.

badbasser98
11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Actually it seems most prevalent between 30 and 50 MPH. Under steady, but not hard acceleration, and if I completely lift off the throttle. It stopps if I get on it good :lol: Was thinking maybe fluid needs changing? Just hit 59,000mi. I know that they flush the tranny fluid at the 60K maintenence.

-BB98

JPaul99GT
11-10-2005, 01:55 PM
i know mine whines alot if i put the car into first before i totally stop...(coming up the a stop sign).. i figure its just the synchros winding up.

~JPaul

GT Wagon
11-10-2005, 02:24 PM
i know mine whines alot if i put the car into first before i totally stop...(coming up the a stop sign).. i figure its just the synchros winding up.

~JPaul

Subaru's don't like to be put in 1st while moving. I've done it on my '91 once or twice and its a completely different whine than the hwy sound.

Wiscon_Mark
11-10-2005, 02:54 PM
yeah, mine has a bit of "force feedback" (it shakes badly if I try to put it in first when I'm slowing down. Obviously I can't rev-match because I'm using the brakes approaching a stop ;)

just put it in second, you can go fairly quicly in second unless you're stopped anyways.

GT Wagon
11-10-2005, 03:56 PM
just put it in second, you can go fairly quicly in second unless you're stopped anyways.

I found in my '91 I there was enough torque that I could "stop'n'go" in 2nd from stop signs.

Wiscon_Mark
11-10-2005, 05:34 PM
yeah, you can certainly start in 2nd, but there is some tranny shudder/hesitation when you do that, so you don't get going in a hurry.

Hell, I've started in 3rd at 2000 rpm launches, its certainly possible :twisted:

GT Wagon
11-10-2005, 07:29 PM
, but there is some tranny shudder/hesitation when you do that,

Not in my 91 there isn't. Its a 2.2 vs the 97 is a 2.5 if that makes any difference. I've often heard of clutch shdder but never experienced it until I bought the 97. Its not butter smooth, but the transition from almost dead stop to acceleration with the 2.2 is just fine.

Wiscon_Mark
11-10-2005, 08:00 PM
I didn't say/mean clutch shudder, I meant, you tend to lug the engine a little bit when you launch in 2nd(unless at high rpms, which can fry the clutch quickly) and theres some hesitation because of that, and the transmission buckling a little because the tranny mounts are weak.

badbasser98
11-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Then again, maybe its just an AWD thing. Although my 95 never did it with 119,000+ miles...

Huffer
11-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Well, most of the prior discussion doesn't really apply, because they're all talking about clutch and 5MT. You have 4EAT.

Seriously, just drain out the old fluid - about 4.5qts, and then refill with 4.25qts of whatever ATF you want (providing it meets OEM spec) and then add in Lubegard ATF protectant.

It's done and is still doing wonders on my car.

badbasser98
11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
hmmm.... I'll give that a look.

Thanks,
-BB98

BAC5.2
11-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Dang, i'm a manual transmission "expert".

I second changing the fluid. It can only help. 60k is kind of early for clutch pack wear, or center diff wear. Unless you do lots of e-brake slides or FWD burnouts and such.

Wish I could be of more help.

Mark - To rev-match while slowing down, simply place the "toe" of your foot on the brake and depress. Then rock the bottom of your foot over the gas pedal to blip the throttle with the clutch in. Then engage the next lower gear (or few lower) and go. Practice, and you can get it to be seamless and smooth.

Wiscon_Mark
11-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Dang, i'm a manual transmission "expert".

Yep 8)

Mark - To rev-match while slowing down, simply place the "toe" of your foot on the brake and depress. Then rock the bottom of your foot over the gas pedal to blip the throttle with the clutch in. Then engage the next lower gear (or few lower) and go. Practice, and you can get it to be seamless and smooth.

BuruKid
12-31-2005, 09:55 PM
My bro's 90' legacy had this problem and it only gets louder. Its wasnt the tranny ,but the water pump/waterpump bearing sumthing or another im not 100% which part of the water pump. Any way he ignored it and ended up blowing it up so get it looked at.

badbasser98
01-02-2006, 05:43 PM
My bro's 90' legacy had this problem and it only gets louder. Its wasnt the tranny ,but the water pump/waterpump bearing sumthing or another im not 100% which part of the water pump. Any way he ignored it and ended up blowing it up so get it looked at.

No, This is definetly from the tranny... There is a whirring noise from the front of the engine at times which i think is the altinator.

-BB98

Sarra
01-03-2006, 03:34 AM
I get 3 of them.

One from syncros, one from the alternator, and one from my AC (whichever part of it is used when you have hte defrost on anyway).

I also have heatshield rattle, and growl from missing airbox. I'm eventually going to find a 03 or 04 intake which has most of the bits and pieces in one solid thing instead of 6 seperate pieces. :(

duckncover182
01-28-2006, 12:08 AM
[quote="Wiscon_Mark"]hmmm, the only thing like that I notice is rattling in the linkage at certain RPMs...weird...

i have the same problem with the rattling. but i also think my clutch is slipping. how much is it for a new one and should i just buy a high performance one for the extra cash?

BuruKid
01-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Thats what my dad thought to ,but u probly right. Its just gonna get louder and louder and louder after bout 18 monthes then who knows

scottzg
01-28-2006, 04:41 PM

It's much easier to use the pinkie toe for the gas rather than the 'bottom of your foot.'

BB- how are you certain that it's the tranny? Can you make the noise happen at low speeds? Is it in every gear? Does the car drive any different since it started? What provolks/palliates the noise?

Wiscon_Mark
01-28-2006, 05:49 PM
It's much easier to use the pinkie toe for the gas rather than the 'bottom of your foot.'

that's what I do.

BAC5.2
02-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I was more describing heel-toe in general. I also use 1/2 my foot on the gas and 1/2 on the brake.

A quick blip and I'm double clutched into gear :)

legacy92ej22t
02-05-2006, 10:13 PM
I am the heel-toe master, ask Phil, he's experienced it first hand.

I use the ball of my foot to brake and rotate my outside heel to blip the throttle for rev matches.

Scott- You have HUGE feet, so your pinky toe is probably pretty equivalent to my heel. ;)

NewGenSTi
02-08-2006, 05:55 PM
My jeep whines exactly how you describe this. I though for sure it was the transmission esp when the tranny let loose on hte highway. I put a new transmission in, and the whine is still there. turns out this is the rear differential. the gears are not positioned perfectly so they will give off this incredible deafening whine which is very loud in 3rd gear and up and goes up and down with throttle... maybe there is a bearing going in rear end causing the gears to not mesh perfect? Just an idea