PDA

View Full Version : Want to ebay splurge

Plays_with_Toys
11-06-2005, 11:34 PM
So I want to splurge some money on my car. There are some easy ebay mods out there and was hoping for some input. I saw the dyno reults of the ebay intake and the fact it boosted 10hp in the low range and close to 10ft/lbs of torque in the low end. This looks like the one to be used, and since I am using my K&N panel filter in the box, is this the ticket?

Intake (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-98-99-Air-Intake-System-Systems_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8011666707QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

I also want a short throw shifter. I know there is the kartboy shifters which come up from time to time, but what are my other internet options. Maybe some impreza shifters that will bolt in?

Are these junk? Or would they get me the daily driver short shifting results I crave (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-Short-Shifter-Legacy-Outback-Impreza-WRX-STi-95_W0QQitemZ8011343925QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Are there other things I could get and am forgetting? I plan to do shocks soon (GR-2's) and while installing those, do an outback swaybar. I also want to repaint all the trim and mud flaps a richer black. But I will have to wait for warmer temperatures.

ooberdoob
11-07-2005, 01:37 AM
how the hell qould that intake go on, and a kartboy with bushings is like $130 new, i'd go that route, if not wait for a used. they are proven and great, vs some cheapo that might break and who knows what it'll be like...?

can't go wring with KB.

Wiscon_Mark
11-07-2005, 08:05 AM
I've been eyeing that intake as well, and the only thing I wonder about is the EGR systems that plug into the intake.

That 98-99 only has 2 places.

My 95 has 4.

I believe the 96 is like that too...

Could a 98/99 owner get us a shot of their engine bay, showing the intake tubing???

As for the short throw, you're lucky that Kartboy makes one for you (95 was different for some odd reason) and you should buy it. Its supposed to be the best, hands down. Get some bushings with it.

Reason
11-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Part of my custom intake involves that eBay intake. For now till I get all my parts in I hooked it up with a cone filter to see how it is. It is quiet at idle and normal driving. Once you hit WOT it sounds mean. Not Honda fart canish, but a nice growl. I will tell you this, you WILL loose low end power. RPM's seem to climb a little faster too. It does have a little extra pull to it. After all this I plan on using the stock box with the intake.

As for the short throw, don't get an aluminum shifter. I seen one break, it was pretty funny. My friend bought an APC shifter for his 2000 Integra. I seen it snap in 2 shifting into 3rd. I have a stainless steel by B&M for my CRX and its great. You get what you pay for, just think about it.

As for the sway bar I would go with something adjustable Whiteline, Cusco or Perrin. Not sure what they make for the wagon but at least with an adjustable you can get the feel what you are looking for.

GT Wagon
11-07-2005, 01:06 PM
I purchased a KartBoy short shifter and bushings combo last week. Its being shipped to me as we speak. I'm hoping to have it installed very soon, I can report back on my thoughts. I still have my 91 Legacy in the driveway and can do an A/B live comparison.

Right now the shifter on the 97 is so pathetically loose I almost mis-shifted into 2nd on teh highwway instead of 4th. Not good.

Plays_with_Toys
11-07-2005, 03:39 PM
The outback sway should be pretty cheap though. My friend's dad is a master mechanic for a local subie dealership. He knows all about wrecked cars, parts deals, plus employee discounts.

The kartboy is supposed to be the shiz, however the +1 Suby Dude shifter looks so much beefier and well built. Do they not fit into our trannies?

Wiscon_Mark
11-07-2005, 04:39 PM
the only +1 subydude shifters I've seen are for the 05+ Legacys...

As for your intake reason, I would venture to guess that you lost low end because of the cone filter, not the intake tubing. A cone filter has more surface area, but airflow isn't as smooth under lower vacuum, so it has less torque at lower RPMs.

One other thing Reason- Can you get us a shot of your engine bay? I want to see the old intake piping. Did you have any spare hoses that are supposed to plug into the intake tube left over?

Plays_with_Toys
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Here's a thread I found on nasioc. Though, as it says, its not the same as the tested "ebay" intake.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ght=intake (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852395&page=2&pp=25&highlight=intake)

Looking at other pictures, the place that needs to have an inlet put in, looks punched. This is based on pics from other ebay auctions. The only thing holding me back right now is that I don't know how it'd bolt up to the MAF/air box, since the kit only includes on blue hose.

Wiscon_Mark
11-07-2005, 05:40 PM
reason said it did, but not all that comfortably, when he told me about it. The silicone hose is supposed to extend to the MAF, you could probably use clamps to clamp it down.

If that's all that's bothering you, you can buy silicone hosing in small pieces and mix and match color and stuff :D

Huffer
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Here's an idea for an ebay splurge - get some pre-cut laser tint from eBay, and then pay a local tinter to install it.

I did that, cost me all of $120 to tint the car.

gil_ong81
11-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I'd jump on that intake with the "buy it now" price. can't go wrong. and anyone else who wants one should just email the guy. that way no one loses out.

i had a serious case of confusion/retardedness when i first got my intake (same one) and i had to email the guy for some "directions" and advice. he was really cool and got back to me real quick.

Wiscon_Mark
11-07-2005, 09:40 PM
that's good to hear :)

Plays_with_Toys
11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Well. Its done. Lol. First ebay purchase, so we'll see if its a hit or a flop for me. :lol: If all else fails I'll put it on craigslist.

Reason
11-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Well. Its done. Lol. First ebay purchase, so we'll see if its a hit or a flop for me. :lol: If all else fails I'll put it on craigslist.

What did you get??

Mark I know bout losing low end from the cone filter. I installed it for 2 reasons 1. I wanted to see from myself what was so "bad" about it and 2. I don't have all the parts to hook it up to my stock air box yet. My car doesn't see the track, and I'm pretty sure it never will. I like the sound and don't really car (at this point) that I lost some low end power. I just don't think an intake is so bad what I heard for years on other Subaru boards.

Plays_with_Toys
11-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I bought the intake from above. It looks like the ebay intakes all went with that extra curve to allow fitment onto the stock air box. Looking at my stock tubing, it has roughly the same line, but less smooth curves.

Anyway, its getting shipped out today, and so I will update this when it gets here.

Reason
11-08-2005, 01:34 PM
You have a link to this intake you got?

gil_ong81
11-08-2005, 04:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-I ... enameZWDVW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-98-99-Air-Intake-System-Systems_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8011666707QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Plays_with_Toys
11-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah, it was the intake linked in the above post, and in my first post.

Reason
11-09-2005, 02:35 AM
That is the same one I just got, same vendor too. It doesn't go direct to your stock box, It is off about 2 inches. A little custom work and know how you can make it work. I will post up pics once I get my digi cam.

Plays_with_Toys
11-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I combed all over nabisco and figured out how I need to do it. Though your input will be nice. I figured out it'll cost an additional $14 to get all the original emissions control devices hooked up correctly again. I intend to do a write up once the intake comes in. But again, I'd like to see how you did it.

Wiscon_Mark
11-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I still want to see a GT stock intake to see what the emissions stuff looks like.